🦈 Dua Lipa releases her 3rd and new album 'Radical Optimism' 🦈

Posted (edited)

Really into this album so not understanding the hate or comparisons to her last album 

French exit, Whatcha Doing, These walls are my favs.

I see why the chosen singles were released as those are definitely the stand out tracks 

edit: I had to add falling forever, a bop 

Edited by SJK
  • Love 3
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, SJK said:

Really into this album so not understanding the hate or comparisons to her last album 

French exit, Whatcha Doing, These walls are my favs.

I see why the chosen singles were released as those are definitely the stand out tracks 

edit: I had to add falling forever, a bop 

It's like food I eat, but which I would only eat if there was nothing else, but it didn't appeal to me in any way. It's another Bionic/Witness album :plzexplain_britney_karaoke_carpool_confused_oh_okay_hmm_nod_eyebrows_raised:

Edited by Wendy Williams
On 5/3/2024 at 11:05 AM, Gypsy Woman said:

Listening to the album now and I'll be updating my thoughts as I listen to the songs.

Full Album Rating: 7/10

My Thoughts: I'll be the first to say that there will be two types of listeners, those that compare it to Future Nostalgia and those who will be able to listen to it as an independent piece of work. For me, it's difficult not to compare to Future Nostalgia, but I also think I can objectively look at it. As a whole, the album is good but it's not extraordinary by any means. Perhaps that's what happens when you deliver such a high quality album in your sophomore year that it's difficult to keep up. The album has some good highs but the rest just feels lackluster. This is an album that I would put on and dance to ever 2-3 songs but it's a far cry from album of the year. Overall, it's solid. She delivered a quality album that's not meant to be a hit factory. 

1. End of an Era (6/10): Decent song, but to be honest, weak for an album opener. While it does have that sub-disco sound, I actually think it's more reminiscent of something you'd her on her first album. It's not a bad song per se, but with a song like Houdini coming up after, you'd think we'd have something with more of a punch. The chorus is somewhat catchy, but likely not a song I'd revisit - definitely a background song.

2. Houdini (7/10): Having heard this song multiple times, I can say that you either loved it from the start or it grew on you. We've all heard the song so I won't say too much on it other than that I do listen to it on occasion, so not a bad song by any means. It's a bop!

3. Training Season (8/10): This song had more of an instant hit with me, compared to Houdini and while it's still not a perfect song it's very much a certified bop. Like many others have said before, I don't think the video did the song justice and I feel that with a better video, more people would likely enjoy it. 

4. These Walls (9/10): There is something very nostalgic about this song (very late 90's/early 00's Sheryl Crow vibe) and I absolutely love it! Her vocals are there and the lyrics are reminiscent of her song We're Good which I also loved. Easily my favorite on the album...so far!

5. Whatcha Doing(6/10): Off the bat this song sounds like it should've been on the deluxe version of Future Nostalgia. I don't want to compare everything to that album, but let's be honest it's very hard not to and sonically this song just fits that album. The song itself is mid to upbeat and kind of reminds me of If It Ain't Me from Future Nostalgia - which is a better song in my opinion. Overall, it's a decent song to have playing in the background, but similar to the album opener it's just okay.

6. French Exit (7/10): I think someone else said that this song reminded them of a slower Love Again and I have to admit, they're right. It's a very different song, but something about the chord progressions or the melody pace is similar. Either way, it's a pretty decent song. It's not as upbeat as Love Again but I think I'd play it over End of an Era and Whatcha Doing.

7. Illusion (8/10): Similar to Training Season, this was an instant hit for me - especially with that video. There's not much else to say about this song other than that it's placement on the album is perfect because the album really needed a pick me up.

8. Falling Forever (9/10): That intro...wow! It just hits you. Why was this not the album opener?! This feels like the biggest departure from Future Nostalgia in the best way possible because it keeps the essence that is Dua, but it actually feels like she evolved. If anyone remembers the Russian group T.A.T.U. this sounds like something they would sing, and I'm here for it. Great track, easily one of my favorites along with These Walls.

9. Anything for Love (7/10): Wow...this song started one way and then went a completely different direction - and I'm here for it. The song isn't particularly catchy, but I can 100% appreciate the vision and production behind it. It starts as a raw piano ballad then takes a sudden pop-funk turn. It works, but I will say it feels unfinished. Reminds me Shattered Glass in that it just feels like it's missing a bridge and final chorus. Decent song though.

10. Maria (6/10): Does anyone remember Tegan and Sarah? They had a song called Walking With a Ghost and this song is a mix between that song and Love Again. Not sure if that's good or bad. It's a decent song but it doesn't do much for me. 

11. Happy for You (7/10): This song started out a little underwhelming but as it progressed, it grew on me. Is it my favorite song? No...not even close but I appreciate it for what it is. I think the chorus is where it really shines but the versus and production just fall a little flat for me. And as I'm listening to it more, I realize it has the same progressions in the chorus as Perfume.

Giving Maria a 6/10 and Houdini a 7/10 invalidates this as a serious critique. Chileee

7 hours ago, Jaime Munoz said:

Whatcha Doing 

These Walls 

Falling Forever 

Maria 

End Of An Era 

those are my favs :howiroll_beyonce_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_white_shirt_hands:

Love the album she should released after Houdini…

The three singles choices were great! 

Taste! I agree and she should’ve released right after Houdini 

I got my CD/cassette and signed art card today, although Royal Mail gave me the "sorry you were not in" slip at first but then delivered it anyway :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:  I wasn't actually in when they delivered, but my sister was, but she said she never heard our doorbell go. Either way I now have Dua's signature, hopefully I can get the vinyl somewhere down the line!

• Love 2
On 5/3/2024 at 12:43 PM, Neydelinska Spearsi said:

Taylor's gonna leak her thin *** thirst traps before she lets Dua even an ounce of sales and charts.

She lets? 

I believe it’s people buying the music not Taylor, your so boring honestly

back on topic I love happy for you honestly gives me a nostalgic feeling 🥹 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, lane j. said:

It's projected to move 55k to 65k in the first week on the BB200, similar to what Future Nostalgia did on its opening. Not a flop at all IMO. 

Those numbers are horrendous and no number 1 album. All that promo for a lukewarm response from the public! Hmmmm she should of stayed on vacation... Oh wait, sorry I mean Holiday.

smug-wink.gif

Edited by PlatinumB

Let’s not forget she caters most of the promo to the UK just like Britney catered most of her promo to the US. The UK did Britney horribly and her chart rankings for her albums are abysmal. Dua kills it in the UK but doesn’t do that well in the U.S. Doesn’t mean it’s not a great album or that she’s not successful

• Haha 1
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RadicalOptimism said:

US tasteless per usual

Don't worry i'm sure the tasteless Uk will give her a number 1 album!

1 hour ago, RadicalOptimism said:

Let’s not forget she caters most of the promo to the UK just like Britney catered most of her promo to the US. The UK did Britney horribly and her chart rankings for her albums are abysmal. Dua kills it in the UK but doesn’t do that well in the U.S. Doesn’t mean it’s not a great album or that she’s not successful

Hmmm there's NO comparison when it comes to thee Britney Spears vs Dula Peep... Let's not even go there boo boo. A flop is a flop. Let's call it what it is! No need to bring in other artists to make yourself feel better about Peep.

Wendy Williams Meme GIF

Edited by PlatinumB
4 minutes ago, PlatinumB said:

Don't worry i'm sure the tasteless Uk will give her a number 1 album!

Hmmm there's NO comparison when it comes to thee Britney Spears vs Dula Peep... Let's not even go there boo boo. A flop is a flop. Let's call it what it is! No need to bring in other artists to make yourself feel better about Peep.

Wendy Williams Meme GIF

I’m not pressed or anything I’m stating facts. Britney flopped in the UK with her album chart positions 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RadicalOptimism said:

I’m not pressed or anything I’m stating facts. Britney flopped in the UK with her album chart positions 

But the comparison with Britney is moot, Boo! I know you aren't pressed which is good but the real and current fact is that Dula has flopped WW with her new album. 

I'd hope at the very least she'd get a UK number 1 album... Only because she is British.

She sits nicely along with bob the builder and peppa pig who also have had a number 1 album in the UK! Congrats to ha

tokyo-toni-blinking.gif 

xoxo

Edited by PlatinumB

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block