Selena Gomez announces new album: freedom, liberation, happiness

''In many ways, she’s been liberated from the feelings that once held her back and lucky for us, that’s going to make for one great pop album.

Freedom. That’s the overarching theme. From what, I ask. “From the shackles of my 20s,” she says.

Seven years is a long pause between albums, yet there is a reason why it took Selena that long to make new music. “I had nothing to write about because I’m so used to writing sad girl music. And I love me a sad girl song. But I wasn’t walking through something that I felt was ripping me apart.” She realized that the songs that were coming out of her were happy and encouraging. Switching gears, she decided, “I want to try to find ways to make great pop music with a message that actually means something.”''

VJ294_SELENA_WEB_1200-1628-4.jpg

“When people listen to [the new album], whether they like it or not, I hope they’re like ‘she sounds really happy’.”

VJ294_SELENA_WEB_1200-1628-1.jpg

“I have not written a single sad song for this album,” she adds triumphantly.

VJ294_SELENA_WEB_1200-1628-7.jpg

For Selena, there is something palpably liberating about being able to express her most authentic self through an album made up of entirely uplifting songs. It’s yet another symbolic milestone in the life of a woman transformed by having faced and overcome so many challenges, emerging more confident and sure of herself on the other side.

And what about the song “Single Soon”, released summer ‘23, that some took to be a coded message about her personal life? Selena says she meant it to be fun and stresses that it is in no way about hating on men. She also adds that it’s not representative of the whole album.

FULL ARTICLE:

WWW.VOGUE.CO.JP

“A huge part of healing is helping others, I believe in that”, Selena Gomez tells me with genuine humility. She’s wearing a plain black sweatshirt, her short brown hair...

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
5 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

“Seven years…between albums”? Not Selena’s erasure of 2020’s “Rare”. :fakewow_selena_surprised_shocked:

spacer.png

I wasn’t a fan of the album but it went number one and gave her her first number one single. But all the other singles after flopped hard. It’s funny how when a project of hers isn’t extremely successful, she tries to act like it never happened aka Stars Dance. She always refers to Revival as her first solo album and that’s just not true. :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Well since she’s in her Katy Perry “meaningful pop music” era, I’m sure the project will flop and I wouldn’t be surprised if she put out a shallow dance pop song soon after to try to recover. 

Ha yea reading the article, the first thing I thought was- I’m getting Katy Perry witness vibes and that didn’t go over well (although tbh, I love chained to the rhythm) 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, car said:

Ha yea reading the article, the first thing I thought was- I’m getting Katy Perry witness vibes and that didn’t go over well (although tbh, I love chained to the rhythm) 

The song was catchy but the video was not it. I kind of hate when artists that do pop music announce that they’re doing music with meaning, as if all pop music is vapid and they’re above that all. Like Katy girl, you had whip cream shooting out your tiddyz. And Selena singing love you like a love song while hitting a piñata in a purple field. And it was good fun pop moments. Like if you want to mature and write lyrical meaning songs, let the music speak for itself. Otherwise it comes off pretentious and dealing with a pop act like that is exhausting and will only turn people off. 

Edited by MikeHunt
  • Love 3
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Neydelinska Spearsi said:

“I have not written a single sad song for this album,” she adds triumphantly.

But there is something about sad songs that make them special and really genuine and easy to relate.

3 hours ago, Neydelinska Spearsi said:

And what about the song “Single Soon”, released summer ‘23, that some took to be a coded message about her personal life? Selena says she meant it to be fun and stresses that it is in no way about hating on men. She also adds that it’s not representative of the whole album.

And I'm glad Single Soon is not representative of the album because it's sooooo boring and uninteresting.

Single soon coming soon single soon 

Witness era coming?

Edited by Fita
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

The song was catchy but the video was not it. I kind of hate when artists that do pop music announce that they’re doing music with meaning, as if all pop music is vapid and they’re above that all. Like Katy girl, you had whip cream shooting out your tiddyz. And Selena singing love you like a love song while hitting a piñata in a purple field. And it was good fun pop moments. Like if you want to mature and write lyrical meaning songs, let the music speak for itself. Otherwise it comes off pretentious and dealing with a pop act like that is exhausting and will only turn people off. 

Completely agree. It’s virtue signalling and also dismisses past work and fans. Also, there’s a need for just pure fun music too- so writers should dismiss that either. 

and agreed the video for chained was bizarre and did not fit the song at all 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MikeHunt said:

Couldn’t agree more with my C…

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Neydelinska Spearsi said:

''In many ways, she’s been liberated from the feelings that once held her back and lucky for us, that’s going to make for one great pop album.

Freedom. That’s the overarching theme. From what, I ask. “From the shackles of my 20s,” she says.

Seven years is a long pause

Monday- I've retired. :tina_judging_side_eye_glance_staring_looking_red:

Tuesday- I've unretired - *OH REALLY?* angelina-jolie-smile.gif

Wednesday- I'm releasing a new album - ezgif.com-gif-makerbdf234d3f081faec.gif

It's amazing how she took inspiration from Taylor and got it all done in a few weeks :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

Edited by DiarrheaFestival
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.