Britney looks back on the Onyx Hotel Tour in new book: "The Onyx tour was a mistake"

I’ve never been a fan of Onyx. It was too vulgar and trashy without any real direction. The jazzy performances were boring, and making out with her dancer was just cringe. Overall, it just felt empty and disconnected. DWAD is Britney at her best and the Oops tour is my personal favorite. 

it’s interesting that she had so little control over her career at this time. I wonder why? Couldn’t she just stand up and say “no”? 

• Like 4

It WAS too ***ual. There’s **** (dancing with a snake) and then there’s literally kissing a dancer for like 10 seconds every night and literally almost having s** (BOM) and mast.urbating (TOMH). It always seemed tacky. 

It really felt like she was just trying to push boundaries like Madonna back then, it didn’t ring true to me then and now I was officially right. 

Kinda sick she did that every night without even feeling good about it. 

• Love 1
  • Like 3
1 minute ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

It WAS too ***ual. There’s **** (dancing with a snake) and then there’s literally kissing a dancer for like 10 seconds every night and literally almost having s** (BOM) and mast.urbating (TOMH). It always seemed tacky. 

It really felt like she was just trying to push boundaries like Madonna back then, it didn’t ring true to me then and now I was officially right. 

I prefer these perfomances than the ones from Madonna, Britney was in her prime and was so ****.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, iZacaree said:

I’ve never been a fan of Onyx. It was too vulgar and trashy without any real direction. The jazzy performances were boring, and making out with her dancer was just cringe. Overall, it just felt empty and disconnected. DWAD is Britney at her best and the Oops tour is my personal favorite. 

it’s interesting that she had so little control over her career at this time. I wonder why? Couldn’t she just stand up and say “no”? 

Right?! That’s the part I don’t understand 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

Kinda sick she did that every night without even feeling good about it. 

I know she didn’t sign up to be a role model but it makes me sad she said yes to things she didn’t really want to do and all those young kids took it all in thinking wow this is Britney!

• Love 1
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, whenthedogscaneout said:

I do think it’s a good tour and one of her best. Some parts, like BOM, just didn’t feel genuine. She’s not a p.orn star. A bed on stage and literally kissing for so long every night is just… no. 

One of her best perfomances of her career, just no are her Instagram posts.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, GmailMyHeart said:

I know she didn’t sign up to be a role model but it makes me sad she said yes to things she didn’t really want to do and all those young kids took it all in thinking wow this is Britney!

I think it’s sad that even pre-Con she was highly manufactured. I think it’s just how the pop generation was back then. 

I think it also adds credibility to the rumor that she started yelling at the set of Make Me because it was too ***ual and that’s why they changed it.

The weird part is that she STILL gets pretty over the top ***ually… like you don’t see any other pop stars literally squeezing their b0obs so much on instagram. :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:  I guess since it’s HER choice then it must feel like a good “f u”, but this is one of the reasons why I don’t really enjoy her IG… it’s like she thinks this is what we expect from her and/or what she has to offer… when she’s SO much more than that. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, OverCrazy said:

I don't understand her sometimes. I saw her complain several times about things being too ***ual (Work B* video, the residency, now the Onyx Hotel and many other things). But she keeps giving us or praising ***ual things that she does (Blackout's songs, Glory's Music Video or some of her posts on Instagram). 

I like that ***ual side of Britney and I'm okay if she wants to stop doing these sorts of things and I will support her if she continues to do so. I understand that in the case of Onyx and other projects, she was asked to be it by her team and not by choice but wasn't it also the case with other things that she praised? I'm a bit lost about that. 

I must say that describing ***ual things from the past as „too much” surprised me. Even some of the recent content of hers is still very ***ualized so I thought she just has this approach. The only difference is that it is her choice or someone elses. So, maybe this is what she means, or she does not view her choices as „overly ***ualized” but „empowering”. No shade, each of us has their own understanding of things and this is mostly why there are misunderstandings between people. 

Edited by takataminna
Misspelling
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

She has a point. She hated The Onyx Hotel Tour because she was forced to be that ***ual when she was NOT ready, she didn't want to. She was ***ualized. You can notice her energy is completly different from DWAD tour, she really enjoyed that tour. 

Now, she can decide what she wants to share, the way she express herself. Nobody else has that power anymore.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, OverCrazy said:

I don't understand her sometimes. I saw her complain several times about things being too ***ual (Work B* video, the residency, now the Onyx Hotel and many other things). But she keeps giving us or praising ***ual things that she does (Blackout's songs, Glory's Music Video or some of her posts on Instagram). 

I like that ***ual side of Britney and I'm okay if she wants to stop doing these sorts of things and I will support her if she continues to do so. I understand that in the case of Onyx and other projects, she was asked to be it by her team and not by choice but wasn't it also the case with other things that she praised? I'm a bit lost about that. 

It was just to get revenge on JT.

1 hour ago, GmailMyHeart said:

I’m having a hard time making sense of this too.  I’m also confused as to when she had control and when she didn’t?  It’s so bizarre to hear that she performed material she didn’t want to and in a way she didn’t want to before the conservatorship.  

I wish she had been stronger in fighting for what she wanted.  So many regrets in her life, it’s so sad. 

I think when you were exploited since childhood and taught that your biggest value was your seccuality, it confuses you. I think she battles and always has, between the complacency of being this seccy thing everyone expects her to be and telling everyone to eff off and rebel against it and dress like average Jane (which she very intentionally does as well). In terms of strategy for her image back then, I do think it was a sudden jump to something very seccual, when she still had a very young audience. The part in the bed might have made some Christian mothers run. Maybe, I would have waited for that. But besides that, she clearly has lacked agency regarding many aspects of her life, including the ways in which she expresses her body autonomy and seccuality, so I think it shows in comments like this criticism towards Onyx or that clip from Work Betch when she says there was a scene that was too seccual for her or in Hold it Against me, when she says she is a mother. She never had a say.

Edited by Bigno
  • Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.