Mariah carey celebrates 30 years of her best selling international album "Music Box" with a 36 track expanded edition

Spicechinodiva

August 31, 1993. Mariah carey issued her 3rd studio album..

The 30 million selling "Music Box",  on the album deemed of all ballads..

This album began what is known as the 1993-1996 international fame era of her career. 

Her debut album sold 15 million respectively,  but a majority of the Success was in the US. 

Mariah carey was the top selling album in the states of 1991, 9x platinum and 4 back to back number one singles, unheard of for a new artist outing. 

But that unfortunately had a poor follow up in 1991's Emotions peaking at #4  in the US,  producing one number one single in the states with the title track,  a song she performed at new years in 2016, that she said it went to number one when nobody knew the lyrics.

4x platinum in the US,  and 9 million internationally, it already had the industry saying is Mariah Carey a one album wonder. 

Tommy was smart to tell her to do a radio friendly album, it paid off and it's known as the album that changed everything for her. 

Music box topped charts and performed better overseas, while her singles dreamlover and hero topped the hot 100.

The Singles Without you and anytime you need a friend (#3 for the latter and the former at the time was her poorest performing song in the states peaking at #12 on the hot 100)

Without you was a huge hit in Europe, Australia and Asia..

Her first number one single in the UK and other markets. 

Music box had a brief tour,  6 shows and would be her only tour in the US til 2000 when she toured for Rainbow. 

Music box 30, will see a 3 cd set, from the original 11 track album (Everything fades away, an international bonus track and b side to hero in the states) is finally being included in the 3 cd set worldwide including the US and Canada where it wasn't included on the album..

A 15 track bonus tracks from b sides, to rare tracks, including workin' hard and my prayer a cover of the 1959 platters hit, could easily see the inspiration behind the forever track on 1995' Daydream on my prayer.

Hero 2009, and extended version of Anytime you need a friend and acapella version of Music box.

Plus the Def club mix of Dreamlover and C&C Club version of anytime you need a friend and the soul convention remix of anytime you need a friend.  While remixes are often dismissed,  one thing is Mimi herself actually goes back to the studio and does new vocals and ad libs and actually produces the club mixes and r&b remixes something people don't actually understand..

Mariah gives those remixes very new life unlike most which takes vocal stems and just do it over a new reproduction. And workin' hard and fan favorite I've been thinking about you are given new club mixes courtesy of Terry hunter. 

The 3rd disc is her live at Procter's theater nbc concert special audio. 

Her third live album following mtv unplugged,  And live at the Tokyo dome..

Digital version available now.

Cassette available now via Mariah Carey Webstore or urban outfitters..

3 cd and 4 Lp box sets are being issued early 2024. With a February 2 street date. 

@princessmimi

https://spotify.link/u0nKpNqe3Cb

Edited by Spicechinodiva
  • Love 2
  • Super Mods
11 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

August 31, 1993. Mariah carey issued her 3rd studio album..

The 30 million selling "Music Box",  on the album deemed of all ballads..

This album began what is known as the 1993-1996 international fame era of her career. 

Her debut album sold 15 million respectively,  but a majority of the Success was in the US. 

Mariah carey was the top selling album in the states of 1991, 9x platinum and 4 back to back number one singles, unheard of for a new artist outing. 

But that unfortunately had a poor follow up in 1991's Emotions peaking at #4  in the US,  producing one number one single in the states with the title track,  a song she performed at new years in 2016, that she said it went to number one when nobody knew the lyrics.

4x platinum in the US,  and 9 million internationally, it already had the industry saying is Mariah Carey a one album wonder. 

Tommy was smart to tell her to do a radio friendly album, it paid off and it's known as the album that changed everything for her. 

Music box topped charts and performed better overseas, while her singles dreamlover and hero topped the hot 100.

The Singles Without you and anytime you need a friend (#3 for the latter and the former at the time was her poorest performing song in the states peaking at #12 on the hot 100)

Without you was a huge hit in Europe, Australia and Asia..

Her first number one single in the UK and other markets. 

Music box had a brief tour,  6 shows and would be her only tour in the US til 2000 when she toured for Rainbow. 

Music box 30, will see a 3 cd set, from the original 11 track album (Everything fades away, an international bonus track and b side to hero in the states) is finally being included in the 3 cd set worldwide including the US and Canada where it wasn't included on the album..

A 15 track bonus tracks from b sides, to rare tracks, including workin' hard and my prayer a cover of the 1959 platters hit, could easily see the inspiration behind the forever track on 1995' Daydream on my prayer.

Hero 2009, and extended version of Anytime you need a friend and acapella version of Music box.

Plus the Def club mix of Dreamlover and C&C Club version of anytime you need a friend and the soul convention remix of anytime you need a friend.  While remixes are often dismissed,  one thing is Mimi herself actually goes back to the studio and does new vocals and ad libs and actually produces the club mixes and r&b remixes something people don't actually understand..

Mariah gives those remixes very new life unlike most which takes vocal stems and just do it over a new reproduction. And workin' hard and fan favorite I've been thinking about you are given new club mixes courtesy of Terry hunter. 

The 3rd disc is her live at Procter's theater nbc concert special audio. 

Her third live album following mtv unplugged,  And live at the Tokyo dome..

Digital version available now.

Cassette available now via Mariah Carey Webstore or urban outfitters..

3 cd and 4 Lp box sets are being issued early 2024. With a February 2 street date. 

@princessmimi

https://spotify.link/u0nKpNqe3Cb

How come she didn't tour in the US til her Rainbow album?

I thought she did with her Daydream Tour

12 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

How come she didn't tour in the US til her Rainbow album?

I thought she did with her Daydream Tour

Music box tour had horrible reviews due to her stage fright. It was extremely bad. 

Daydream and Butterfly had micro tours, butterfly tour came to Hawaii but like Alaska, it's US state but because it's not part of the 48 connected states,  it's like I forgot it's part of the US, people only think of the 48 states as the us and Alaska as Canada,  even in the military,  despite being the US, Alaska is considered overseas when living there as a service member. 

• Super Mods
10 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Music box tour had horrible reviews due to her stage fright. It was extremely bad. 

Daydream and Butterfly had micro tours, butterfly tour came to Hawaii but like Alaska, it's US state but because it's not part of the 48 connected states,  it's like I forgot it's part of the US, people only think of the 48 states as the us and Alaska as Canada,  even in the military,  despite being the US, Alaska is considered overseas when living there as a service member. 

Oh wow idk that.

I actually did see the entire Music Box tour on YouTube a long time ago and she seemed confident when performing.

Maybe it was the last show or something.

So even if I was an adult back in the 90s,

there's no way I would've seen the Daydream or Butterfly Tours in the US where I live?

22 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

Oh wow idk that.

I actually did see the entire Music Box tour on YouTube a long time ago and she seemed confident when performing.

Maybe it was the last show or something.

So even if I was an adult back in the 90s,

there's no way I would've seen the Daydream or Butterfly Tours in the US where I live?

Exactly and considering Daydream is her most successful era in the US. 11x platinum. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

Wow idk it was her most successful era in the US.

But then again I think the Daydream era was the peak of her career.

It was until mimi, butterfly began losing the European market, I don't think outside christmas she regained that market back. If it wasn’t for westlife, I don't think she would have gotten her second uk number one single,  a remix with a popular British music iconic boy band to a Phil Collins track who was popular thanks to Tarzan..

Sony uk was smart in that move, but she never lost her career in Asia they go hard for her. 

She's the only veteran thay actually succeeded into the streaming era of music,  most failed to get into that one survived iTunes but failed to go into the territory. 

Mariah carey is the only one alive, Michael jackson and Whitney are the only ones to do it but not alive. Both David bowie and prince failed to crossover after they died..

So we're already heading there if a veteran dies, the instant success is no longer there at all like it was for Michael and Whitney Houston.  

• Like 1
  • Super Mods
6 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

It was until mimi, butterfly began losing the European market, I don't think outside christmas she regained that market back. If it wasn’t for westlife, I don't think she would have gotten her second uk number one single,  a remix with a popular British music iconic boy band to a Phil Collins track who was popular thanks to Tarzan..

Sony uk was smart in that move, but she never lost her career in Asia they go hard for her. 

She's the only veteran thay actually succeeded into the streaming era of music,  most failed to get into that one survived iTunes but failed to go into the territory. 

Mariah carey is the only one alive, Michael jackson and Whitney are the only ones to do it but not alive. Both David bowie and prince failed to crossover after they died..

So we're already heading there if a veteran dies, the instant success is no longer there at all like it was for Michael and Whitney Houston.  

What about Madonna?

Did she succeed in transitioning to streaming or was that just Mariah?

24 minutes ago, princessmimi said:

What about Madonna?

Did she succeed in transitioning to streaming or was that just Mariah?

I do youtube music, she's close to 1 billion audio streams of LA Isla Bonita. 

I pay for youtube premium and get their music service and it's the best one cos ant music uploaded to YouTube is saved to youtube music. 

No other streaming service does that. I've been listening to The Swedish albums from icona pop and zara larsson uploaded by their Swedish label. Can't stream 1 or icona pop self titled album anywhere else due to being geolocked. But ten uploaded it to youtube unlocked for the entire world. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.