Gwen Stefani originally recorded what would become Selena’s “The Heart Wants What It Wants”

Victor Yao

Dude Selena Gomez wrote and recorded the song is 2013, scrapped it because she didnt think she can sing a song that hurt her that much. Passed it to Gwen in 2014 and took it back after she got over Justin. You can find her 2013 demo that she sent to Gwen online. Dude do your fact check.

a youtube comment… so idk.

On 12/7/2022 at 11:04 PM, Body ache said:

So much better but a bit basic for Gwen.

I seriously 100% agree Gwen's Used to Love You is a million times more emotionally raw than this and came out less than a year later. It's also musically more progressive. I agree with Gwen, ageism is an industry construct where everyone behind promoting music just backs older females less, thus creating this whole idea that older females don't sell, yet it used to be the opposite and only older women sold records. Strange.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Inherzone said:

a youtube comment… so idk.

Oh snap I do remember hearing this somewhere years ago but it is completely unverified info as far as I can tell. So far news outlets are only reporting this as if Gwen recorded it first. Why would Selena have recorded this in 2013 anyway? Wasn't this song about her getting BACK with Justin? Which is so lame, omg

14 minutes ago, BritneyGXKB2 said:

I seriously 100% agree Gwen's Used to Love You is a million times more emotionally raw than this and came out less than a year later. It's also musically more progressive. I agree with Gwen, ageism is an industry construct where everyone behind promoting music just backs older females less, thus creating this whole idea that older females don't sell, yet it used to be the opposite and only older women sold records. Strange.

Gwen tried to record an album when this demo was recorded, but wasn’t able to write so she said she did what the other girls did and went in and recorded songs that she didn’t write. She felt it was unauthentic, even commenting how ridiculous it was that she got a writing credit on “baby don’t lie” for changing one word. She scrapped the whole thing and then did Used To Love You. I truly doubt Selena wrote this song based off of the history, and Gwen’s comment about how a song went to Selena. There’s no beef between them tho, i think Gwen’s comment was just how different the industry is now. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Kaitlyn Johnson said:

Gwen tried to record an album when this demo was recorded, but wasn’t able to write so she said she did what the other girls did and went in and recorded songs that she didn’t write. She felt it was unauthentic, even commenting how ridiculous it was that she got a writing credit on “baby don’t lie” for changing one word. She scrapped the whole thing and then did Used To Love You. I truly doubt Selena wrote this song based off of the history, and Gwen’s comment about how a song went to Selena. There’s no beef between them tho, i think Gwen’s comment was just how different the industry is now. 

I loved Baby Don't Lie and Spark the Fire but I am so glad she gave us such a cohesive project as TIWTTFL. Where Would I Be, Me Without You, and Rare easily match any of her past work. Truly underrated. Her comments about the industry are just the iceberg. She tried so hard to promote Make Me Like You which should be at least 3x platinum and there was clearly someone stopping her bag. I remember being thrilled with the album as a then high school Gwen fan since elementary.

Baby Don't Lie just sounds like some Coldplay song I can't it's good but songs like WWIB actually slay.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, BritneyGXKB2 said:

I loved Baby Don't Lie and Spark the Fire but I am so glad she gave us such a cohesive project as TIWTTFL. Where Would I Be, Me Without You, and Rare easily match any of her past work. Truly underrated. Her comments about the industry are just the iceberg. She tried so hard to promote Make Me Like You which should be at least 3x platinum and there was clearly someone stopping her bag. I remember being thrilled with the album as a then high school Gwen fan since elementary.

Baby Don't Lie just sounds like some Coldplay song I can't it's good but songs like WWIB actually slay.

Absolutely agree. This is what the truth feels like is such a solid album. It’s her best lyric writing since Tragic Kingdom.  The contrast from heartbreak to new love was really interesting to me. Rare is one of my favorite songs too. Even the left over songs from it are good. Rocket ship could’ve been a single. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.