Britney Spears continues to lose followers on Instagram

1 minute ago, britney_rocks said:

I love how your pic says to stop hate towards one group of people while you’re hating on another. 

the hypocrisy on exhale never fails to amaze me

Exactly! How about stop the hate for all people. He's part of the problem and doesn't even realize it. I still do not understand why people get uncomfortable with people that are overweight. Why the hate??

• Love 2
  • Like 2

People who aren't fond of her content should unfollow. It's basic commonsense. Just let them go. We, as fans, shouldn't worry about that kind of stuff. Especially not enough to make threads about it. It was bad enough the drama after the Rodney Dangerfield quote/Christina dancer juxtaposition. There is no reason to keep doing it. If the numbers free fall then sure but we aren't talking millions upon million.  She has over 40 million still.

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Few things to break down here.

Firstly, we don't necessarily know if her account was deactivated by her or if it was disabled by Instagram. We can assume a shadow ban took place however, which would affect content, engagement etc. As a starring point, that would affect followers and following.

Secondly, bot accounts aren't unusual these days, and platforms are always searching for ways to remove them. While 300k seems like a huge number, it's less than 1% of Britney's Instagram following, and that is assuming that all the accounts were bots.

Thirdly, Britney's account isn't used in the way other celebrity accounts are. She uses it as a platform to diary and document. Britney has seen a huge surge in support, but Instagram, as a platform, can be a very shallow place; people don't necessarily want real people on their timelines, and Britney has been keeping it all very real and honest and direct, and in the past month, she has been dealing with very hard topics that might be too much to deal with for some.

Fourthly, let's not pretend that there wasn't a pile on effect simply because people rushed to make this 'Britney V Christina' because that's more headline worthy than 'Britney wishes she could have chosen her team'. The caption was very straight forward. The photo was a 50 year old mother's fridge magnet meme. outdated? Yeah kinda, but the faux outrage was ridiculous. Britney didn't bodyshame Xtina, or her dancers, nor did she target her fans who are overweight. There was a pile on effect for the sake of it on her, Instagram, and social media because people are waiting to Tabloid sensationalise her. A loss in followers shouldn't be unexpected. I mean how threads were created her itching to make it that everyone unfollowed Britney to defend Christina? 

There are obviously then people who unfollowed her because they disagreed with how they interpreted the post, but that's on them.

Lastly, followers counts grow and fall all the time depending on how active or engaged an account is, whether they're promoting etc. Britney gained huge support over the past few years, but a taper off or lull is always bound to happen.

• Love 5
  • Haha 1

I don't get all the hate/critical comments on this post. It is an observation and people are free to share it. Y'all need to calm down. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

Anyway, the decline is very negligible and Britney's likes/views/comments are significantly high compared to other celebrities with more followers than her. Her social engagement is pretty great.

That being said, yes the last few posts that associated w**d with black rappers, the posts on the kids, and Xtina's dancers did not sit well with many. Doesn't mean they unfollowed, just means that this track record will continue to change the general public's perspective. But it is Britney's life and Britney's career and she is free to do whatever she wants with it.

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 2
22 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Few things to break down here.

Firstly, we don't necessarily know if her account was deactivated by her or if it was disabled by Instagram. We can assume a shadow ban took place however, which would affect content, engagement etc. As a starring point, that would affect followers and following.

Secondly, bot accounts aren't unusual these days, and platforms are always searching for ways to remove them. While 300k seems like a huge number, it's less than 1% of Britney's Instagram following, and that is assuming that all the accounts were bots.

Thirdly, Britney's account isn't used in the way other celebrity accounts are. She uses it as a platform to diary and document. Britney has seen a huge surge in support, but Instagram, as a platform, can be a very shallow place; people don't necessarily want real people on their timelines, and Britney has been keeping it all very real and honest and direct, and in the past month, she has been dealing with very hard topics that might be too much to deal with for some.

Fourthly, let's not pretend that there wasn't a pile on effect simply because people rushed to make this 'Britney V Christina' because that's more headline worthy than 'Britney wishes she could have chosen her team'. The caption was very straight forward. The photo was a 50 year old mother's fridge magnet meme. outdated? Yeah kinda, but the faux outrage was ridiculous. Britney didn't bodyshame Xtina, or her dancers, nor did she target her fans who are overweight. There was a pile on effect for the sake of it on her, Instagram, and social media because people are waiting to Tabloid sensationalise her. A loss in followers shouldn't be unexpected. I mean how threads were created her itching to make it that everyone unfollowed Britney to defend Christina? 

There are obviously then people who unfollowed her because they disagreed with how they interpreted the post, but that's on them.

Lastly, followers counts grow and fall all the time depending on how active or engaged an account is, whether they're promoting etc. Britney gained huge support over the past few years, but a taper off or lull is always bound to happen.

Even though Britney uses her account differently from other celebrities, she still has a brand to protect. She can use her platform as a way to vent but she also has to be careful with her words. The post she made regarding "Fat people" was poorly worded. She did body shamed Christina and dancers. Her post came from a moment of anger and insecurities. She recognized it which is why she took back her words. Britney needs a PR team to advice her on how to represent herself in social media. 

You are right, Britney gained millions of followers the past few years and that was all due to the Free Britney movement. She was admired for her strength and how she was the voice for people that are being abused in this system. Millions were rooting for her. However, poor decisions like the body shaming post made people loose interest in her. It makes her look bad and people will not support someone with such conduct. 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Toxicboy07 said:

Majority of people care of their followers. Especially celebrities. When you start loosing followers it makes you question what you did wrong. Of course Britney is reflecting on this. 

You’re absolutely right. But Britney isn’t one of them obviously. Just look at her last few posts/captions (offended? Don’t Watch me! / I’m not perfect but I’m me / Here’s my ***)

She clearly doesn’t care so I don’t think we should care either, that’s all I’m trying to say.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, maki93 said:

I don't get all the hate/critical comments on this post. It is an observation and people are free to share it. Y'all need to calm down. :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

Anyway, the decline is very negligible and Britney's likes/views/comments are significantly high compared to other celebrities with more followers than her. Her social engagement is pretty great.

That being said, yes the last few posts that associated w**d with black rappers, the posts on the kids, and Xtina's dancers did not sit well with many. Doesn't mean they unfollowed, just means that this track record will continue to change the general public's perspective. But it is Britney's life and Britney's career and she is free to do whatever she wants with it.

Yes people should have the right to express their views on this. The comment about black rappers being associated with consuming cannabis is just plain racist. Why did she dragged only black rappers? This was not a good look and she lost followers after that. 

Regarding the body shaming comment, it has not been the only time Britney comes after Christina Aguilar. There is obviously anger there towards Christina. Britney is showing her shady side and its not looking cute. 

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.