Lizzo Changed The Lyrics From Her New Song ‘Grrrls’

Per Deadline :

Lizzo has heard the cry of her fans and is ready to change the lyrics to her hit single “GRRRLS.”

Today, Lizzo announced via social media that she’s going to release a new version of the song GRRRLS to remove an ableist slur “sp*z” featured in the previous version.

“It’s been brought to my attention that there is a harmful word in my new song ‘GRRRLS,'” she shared in a Twitter post. “Let me make one thing clear: I never want to promote derogatory language. As a fat Black woman in America, I’ve had many hurtful words used against me so I overstand the power words can have (whether intentionally or in my case, unintentionally,)” she continued. “I’m proud to say there’s a new version of GRRRLS with a lyric change. This is the result of me listening and taking action. As an influential artist I’m dedicated to being part of the change I’ve been waiting to see in the world.”

The lyrics go: “Hold my bag, b***h, hold my bag Do you see this s**t? I’ma sp**z.”

People were quick to address the lyrics as one Twitter user addressed and explained why the word is hurtful to the disability and mental illness community.

The musician received a deluge of criticism of the lyrics causing her to announce the decision to change the lyrics.

Lizzo’s album Special drops July 15, and first single,  “About Damn Time” is already a top 10 hit. spacer.png

Basically copying and pasting a comment I left on BuzzFeed about it but:

I don’t blame Americans for not knowing it’s a slur. The word is used differently there. Here in the UK, ‘spaz’ and its longer form ‘spastic’ is seen as a highly offensive term to refer to someone with a disability (usually cerebral palsy). During my secondary school days the word was often thrown around the playground as an insult, even towards those who weren’t necessarily disabled. I’m not upset by Lizzo using the word, she wouldn’t have known about it being ‘taboo’ in the UK and I’m well aware it’s also a form of slang in AAVE. She also did not use it in a context to refer to a disabled person. I also listen to Eminem and he’s said far worse in his lyrics. I don’t get easily offended by song lyrics. But what frustrates me more are some people are dismissing the idea it can be considered as an ‘insult’ in a certain context and country. Hopefully this debate has helped educate people more. Also, I appreciate Lizzo for listening and removing the word if it did offend people 👏🏻

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Isla said:

Basically copying and pasting a comment I left on BuzzFeed about it but:

I don’t blame Americans for not knowing it’s a slur. The word is used differently there. Here in the UK, ‘spaz’ and its longer form ‘spastic’ is seen as a highly offensive term to refer to someone with a disability (usually cerebral palsy). During my secondary school days the word was often thrown around the playground as an insult, even towards those who weren’t necessarily disabled. I’m not upset by Lizzo using the word, she wouldn’t have known about it being ‘taboo’ in the UK and I’m well aware it’s also a form of slang in AAVE. She also did not use it in a context to refer to a disabled person. I also listen to Eminem and he’s said far worse in his lyrics. I don’t get easily offended by song lyrics. But what frustrates me more are some people are dismissing the idea it can be considered as an ‘insult’ in a certain context and country. Hopefully this debate has helped educate people more. Also, I appreciate Lizzo for listening and removing the word if it did offend people 👏🏻

The point about UK vs. America is really crucial I think. I'm American and very recently had someone from the UK explain to me how sp*z is a slur. I'd always just thought it meant "goof" or something innocuous like that. It's clear Lizzo didn't mean to use a slur or use it as a slur but she's setting such a fab example by listening and changing the lyric. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Jsken said:

The point about UK vs. America is really crucial I think. I'm American and very recently had someone from the UK explain to me how sp*z is a slur. I'd always just thought it meant "goof" or something innocuous like that. It's clear Lizzo didn't mean to use a slur or use it as a slur but she's setting such a fab example by listening and changing the lyric. 

Exactly! As I already said, I'm not super upset about the usage of the word in the context of the song, but I'm more upset that a lot of people (mainly Americans) are being very dismissive of the fact that 'spaz' IS a slur to many people in the UK and are blaming it on Gen-Z for 'being offended' even though the usage of 'spaz' and 'spastic' as a slur dates back to the early 1980s.

Edited by Isla
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, DougfromBrazilIsBack said:

But Gen Z was born offended I'm glad I'm millennial.

Oh that's very true. And I'm a cusper between the two generations. But my point was, I've seen a lot of comments online blaming Gen-Z for 'getting too offended' over the usage of the slur in the first place when 'spaz'/'spastic' being used as an insult dates back to the early 1980s in the UK. Before any of Gen-Z was born.

Edited by Isla
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, mythology said:

Glad she changed the lyrics. Stay pressed.

Is it so hard to not listen to the song? If you’re that sensitive maybe you should stay off the internet all together? Are we going to start censoring the words “dumb”, “broke”, “crazy” out of songs too? Let’s start censoring “god” too because well, I don’t believe in him and I think everyone else shouldn’t either. Also let’s axe Santa since he’s clearly made up to fuel communism. :ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad:

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
Just now, Aymama said:

Is it so hard to not listen to the song? If you’re that sensitive maybe you should stay off the internet all together? Are we going to start censoring the words “dumb”, “broke”, “crazy” out of songs too? Let’s start censoring “god” too because well, I don’t believe in him and I think everyone else shouldn’t either. Also let’s axe Santa since he’s clearly made up to fuel communism. :ririshade2_rihanna_eyeroll_roll_eyes_annoyed_irritated_mad:

You sound delusional AF.  That word is a slur and it was the artist’s decision to replace it.  Stay pressed:tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mythology said:

You sound delusional AF.  That word is a slur and it was the artist’s decision to replace it.  Stay pressed:tiffanynod_miss_ms_ny_new_york_yes_yas_nodding_agree:

No I’m sorry, I just believe in freedom of speech, especially if it wasn’t intended with harm. And it was only after people got upset like they do about literally everything, that she changed it. Stay sensitive.  

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t like things like this. I mean it’s not a bad thing that she is changing it. But I like that we are not the same. That we each have our own cultures where things don’t mean the same thing. I do get it. Better change it now and not be thought of as a bad person in 10 years. 

52 minutes ago, DougfromBrazilIsBack said:

But Gen Z was born offended I'm glad I'm millennial.

Gen z is doing something us mellinials couldn't and wouldn't do.  They're fighting for inclusion,  if you see something wrong with that then argue for gay rights then you're a hypocrite. What's wrong with hearing other perspectives and treating everyone with dignity? You literally cannot argue for gay rights and get mad at your uncle who's a homophobe when you yourself won't respect others when they find something offensive.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Aymama said:

No I’m sorry, I just believe in freedom of speech, especially if it wasn’t intended with harm. And it was only after people got upset like they do about literally everything, that she changed it. Stay sensitive.  

Would you feel the same for the n word or f word? It's not your decision to decide if something is offensive to someone else.  Let's hang nooses all around Louisiana..  . Or the confederate flag, who cares that it was offensive to African Americans but not me right? Freedom of speech doesn't represent hate. You need to learn what it was really supposed to represent 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Onyx_Zone-89 said:

Would you feel the same for the n word or f word? It's not your decision to decide if something is offensive to someone else.  Let's hang nooses all around Louisiana..  . Or the confederate flag, who cares that it was offensive to African Americans but not me right? Freedom of speech doesn't represent hate. You need to learn what it was really supposed to represent 

CONTEXT babe, I understand context. Obviously the N word is a slur so why is it that the internet hasn’t made a fit every time a rap artist says it? Because context.  Your argument is weak anyway, no one in America thought spaz was a slur because here it wasn’t, I’m pretty sure confederate flags are universally understood to be offensive and for good reason. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block