Madonna's third and Final HBO concert special was a homecoming like no other

Spicechinodiva

In 2001, Madonna announced her First tour in 8 years, The Drowned World tour was a high tech spectacle with a Giant M stage (in 2001 this was very groundbreaking with the specific design). 

This was her last tour to gross under 100 Million dollars as an arena tour as her demand as a live entertainer particularly as a Veteran artist meant her ticket price was worth more than contemporary acts at the time..

The setlist is heavily Based of Her most recent albums "Music" and 1998's "Ray of Light" , with two songs from Bedtime Stories, Being Secret (performed by Madonna on Acoustic guitar) and Human nature with an interesting way to ride the mechanical bull. 

plus What it feels like for a girl is performed in Spanish (Lo que Siente La Mujer) and La Isla Bonita is a slow version with Madonna playing the acoustic guitar for this reinvented version it definitely showed the Romantic theme of the song. 

The Encore was a big Party 

A remix of Holiday and a slightly remixed Of Music with elements of the album version and a rarely sought track as a sample by Kraftwerk. 

The show is divided in 5 acts. 

Act 1

Punk

Drowned World/Substitute For Love

Impressive Instant 

Candy perfume girl (Madonna's professional debut playing the electric guitar, plus a dancer performing contortionist style of dance)

Beautiful stranger (Austin powers cameo)

Ray of Light 

Paradise (Not For Me) interlude transitioning into second act with creept dancers 

Act 2 (Geisha)

Frozen 

Open your heart swell

Nobody's perfect 

Mer Girl 1

Sky fits heaven (with a cool stage fight that ends with Madonna breaking the neck of her tormentors (Violence among men is a very common theme of the show))

Mer Girl 2

What it feels like for a girl remix (feature's a very graphic in both violence and string ****** content which resulted in the MPAA giving this a R Rating on its home video release ,kudos to Madonna for funding a way to sell her concert at wal Mart unedited) (also was banned in 8 countries cos of this)

Act 3 Cowgirl 

I deserve it

Don't tell me

Human nature 

The funny song (a very cannibalistic song about Madonna killing her dad and eating him as a barbecue with people at the feast.)

Secret

GONE

Don't cry for Me Argentina (Dancer's interlude)

Act 4 Latin/Gypsy

Lo que siente la mujer (What it feels like for a girl)

La Isla Bonita 

Act 5 (Encore) Ghetto Fabulous 

Holiday 

Madonna goes underneath the stage abd the camera films the entire 2 minute suspense which leads Madonna to close the show with her biggest hit at the time

Music with a huge Screens showing Madonna and her various stages of reinvention and images.

Show ends with the The End on the screens.

The concert was Madonna's third and Final concert for HBO and it was filmed at the recently destroyed Palace of Auburn Hills in Auburn hills,  Michigan. 

Madonna now performs at the historic Joe Louis Arena when she tours The Detroit area.

Enjoy what fans and critics say basically created the way artists tiur, out doing oast shows and out doing their contemporaries with groundbreaking stages and technology.

Madonna led the pack in 2001 and keeps pushing it to where people work with her stage directors just to deliver the same type of entertainment that she gives her fans. 

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived