E! Article: "Whether We Need a Britney Spears Lifetime Movie or Not, Not Every Story Needs Retelling Just Because It's True."

LostInAnImage

E! posted an article about the impending Lifetime biopic, and they made some really good points. It's a lengthy article so I'll attach the link at the bottom, but I wanted to share this particular excerpt I really loved: 

"Even though Britney Ever After presumably ends on an up note, there's no point without the trauma—and Spears wants no part of reliving it. She's been there, done that, and come out stronger on the other side.

Which isn't to say that someone necessarily needs her blessing to dramatize her life. Plenty of people find Spears' story movie-worthy, her reputation as one of the biggest pop stars ever is intact no matter what, and if the movie turns out to be so much tripe her fans will make their voices heard online. And surely no one's goal was to render the woman onscreen as anything other than human. 

But as much as any person who has entertained so many people and whose fame turned her into so much grist for the mill, Britney at least deserves to have her story told right."

Link: http://m.eonline.com/news/824121/whether-we-need-a-britney-spears-lifetime-movie-or-not-not-every-story-needs-retelling-just-because-it-s-true

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Slayde said:

people need to STFU about this tbh, they're acting like it's some kind of relevent/authorized piece of work like GTFO 

naomi campbell

Yeah, this article makes it really clear that it's not authorized and doesn't have Britney's blessing. 

E! is generally quite scandalous in nature, so this actually surprised me with their defending of Britney and relative eyerolling at Lifetime. 

when I think of it ... its disgusting... they chose 10th anniversary of shaving her head to make money with this low movie... thats insane those lifetime people are idiots...poor britney 2007 will haunt her forever..

how come its legal to make a movie about somebody who is still alive and doesnt agree with it? 

32 minutes ago, zuzzka said:

when I think of it ... its disgusting... they chose 10th anniversary of shaving her head to make money with this low movie... thats insane those lifetime people are idiots...poor britney 2007 will haunt her forever..

how come its legal to make a movie about somebody who is still alive and doesnt agree with it? 

The article actually addresses the legality as well:

"The legalities concerning the rights to books and music are pretty straight-forward. If you don't secure the rights, you're not supposed to use the material. Aaliyah had to make do without permission to use her song catalog, and the big-screen Jimi Hendrix biopic Jimi: All Is By My Side infamously couldn't include "Purple Haze" or anything else the guitar legend wrote due to licensing issues.

But no one owns the rights to general facts that are just...out there, as they are about Britney Spears, Whitney Houston, Brittany Murphy, et al. Hence all the unauthorized biographies and biopics, which tend to find a way to exist."

(But thereafter essentially states that not receiving approval from the individual or their family is in poor taste, and I agree).

Archived