do people still care about #1s besides pop music fans?

popprison

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the way it's been explained to me, album sales and chart positions matter because record companies, together with any particular artist's management team gauge where they need to divert their funds based on how well the album does commercially. low sales lead to scrapped singles, cancelled tour legs (usually if people don't buy your music they don't want to attend your shows, but obv that's not an issue for Britney with POM) dissolution of endorsement deals (if you are irrelevant who would want to use you to push their product?) and potentially even the cancellation of any future albums.
I personally don't really care about how well Britney performs in the charts, but I do want a **** ton of music videos so I'd prefer for her to be on top rather than at the bottom!  

It depends on the artist, I mean if Beyonce, Adele, or Taylor's next album didn't chart at #1 it would be like big news kind of like how Blackout being #2 was kind of a big deal to the media and BJ debuting so low was talked about a lot too and I think that if Glory goes to #1 it will be a big deal and get a lot of press because BJ was such a massive flop kind of like when Mariah got a #1 again with EOM but in the grand scheme of things the content of the album really matters......thats why no one cares really that Blackout wasn't #1.

Now when it comes to singles it kind of doesn't matter anymore.....it used to a long time ago but I think people care a bit less now......that's why I think anything in the top 20 on the Hot100 is good because it means a large number of people liked it enough to buy it and radio play was decent and it seems that a lot of artists struggle to make the top 20 anymore meaning that the track has to be pretty popular to get there. I mean Toxic is considered Britney's biggest hit and it barely made the top 10 coming in at #9 and some of her most recognizable singles like Stronger/Everytime missed the top 10 completely and Slave missed the top 20 

On 8/20/2016 at 0:39 PM, Amy Lee Spears said:

the way it's been explained to me, album sales and chart positions matter because record companies, together with any particular artist's management team gauge where they need to divert their funds based on how well the album does commercially. low sales lead to scrapped singles, cancelled tour legs (usually if people don't buy your music they don't want to attend your shows, but obv that's not an issue for Britney with POM) dissolution of endorsement deals (if you are irrelevant who would want to use you to push their product?) and potentially even the cancellation of any future albums.
I personally don't really care about how well Britney performs in the charts, but I do want a **** ton of music videos so I'd prefer for her to be on top rather than at the bottom!  

Same! A good example is the Britney 2001/2002 era. The singles didn't do well for so and so reasons in the U.S. (where the charts matter most, right) but the music was amazing, she had 6 music videos which were all amazing and the promotion and tour was so awesome. I would live that this era. I only care a little about chart positions and a billion views because I wish everyone could see how amazing Britney is.

On 20.08.2016 at 6:43 PM, Hispanicney said:

The GP do not care about the charts and number ones. Only pop fans on social media and forums do. 

remember that what counts towards GP are also other fan bases :tbh: they might not care but then they use charts as a chance to bash our fav

I just want her to show others that she's still on top, I'm gonna do what i can to make Glory sell well ;) 

Archived