What makes Blackout timeless, even after all these years?

spacer.png

It is the first and only album to have Britney as the Executive Producer. The album title “refers to blocking out negativity and embracing life fully”, making a reference to her unfortunate days in 2006/2007. The album does not include a thank-you list, unlike her previous albums. 

Blackout sold 290,000 copies and debuted at #2 on Billboard Hot 100 after a last-minute rule change. Consequently, Blackout was Spears’ first studio album not to debut in the number-one position in the United States. The album, however, set the record as the biggest selling digital album debut by a female artist in one week at the time.

Rob Sheffield, from Rolling Stone magazine described Blackout as “one of the most influential albums in modern pop”. In June 2012, “Blackout” was added to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s musical library and archive, in recognition of the album’s musical and cultural influence, as well as significance.

Feel free to share your thoughts with me! 

• Love 7

i think it’s all of the above. the time of the release, the amount of britney not caring to promote it, but joining in crafting some of the songs that will transcend time . i really do think britney is the last great star. we are blessed to have been here to talk about this when it was new and now 17 years later. 

• Love 5

I think everything. The way the world was watching her. The production, lyrics, the EDM renewing in the music industry making the elite of the music industry follow. It's insane how she didn't have massive support from radios but managed to have such an influential album. She was always a phenomenon, while her colleagues were radio singers.

It's the reason why her songs age better.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, The Femme Fatale said:

It’s a solid album that still sounds fresh after all these years. People I feel still chase after that feeling and the sound of this album like Billie Eilish, The Weeknd, and Lady Gaga’s new song, that dark pop feel. It’s an influential album for a lot of artists

Exactly, a shame they didn’t award the album or Gimme More for its uniqueness… I played Gimme More just yesterday anc oh my god, the song is timeless ..:praisega_gaga_amazing_brilliant_show_stopping_showstopping_sunglasses_incredible_yas_Yes:

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, itsxrichiexbish said:

i think it’s all of the above. the time of the release, the amount of britney not caring to promote it, but joining in crafting some of the songs that will transcend time . i really do think britney is the last great star. we are blessed to have been here to talk about this when it was new and now 17 years later. 

Yeah, her personal struggles definitely influenced Blackout’s trajectory. Without that turmoil the era might be seen differently today. Regardless the music, the beats, and the production are absolutely flawless.

• Love 3

It's a fearless album, you can feel it from the very first seconds. :smokney2_smoke_britney_blackout_2007_sunglasses_red_cigarette_smoking: 

The way it's introduced, the iconic hook, the break, like an electric cable, like a line being drawn, it's addictive, dark, carefree, experimental, unapologetic, festive, hypnotic, bold, avant-garde, electrifying,

it's a mood. Blackout is a mood.

Edited by Agyness

Also according to Britney herself, Blackout is her greatest accomplishment in her entire career and rightfully so, I mean the woman executive produced it earning her her first and only executive producer credit in her career.

You can tell that she gave her all on that album and the albums that followed never felt like they lived up to that same passion except Glory because she even stated she was feeling that fire again recording that album and again it shows. When Britney is feeling it and she wants it, the music quality reflects that and when she doesn’t, it suffers.

• Love 1

Not to make it sound overstated, but it was the first of its kind. Britney really influenced the sound of pop music with Blackout, & it’s so authentic, most of it still sounds fresh today. I truly believe they robbed her of her number one spot, for whatever reason. However, her album is still very known & talked about today, so that speaks for itself.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.