Why Do The Videos on the 2009 TSC DVD Look Worse Than The GH:MP DVD?

So I've been checking out some of Britney's DVDs that contains Music Videos.

Mainly, Time Out With Britney From 1999, GH:MP from 2004 and TSC from 2009.

For the same videos that are on 2 or all of the DVDs, they look the worst on the TSC DVD. The main problem being that the videos used on TSC are composite masters so it's blurrier, has washed out colors and has rainbowing. The videos on GH:MP and even on Time Out Looks so much better.

I suspect that the blurrier versions of the videos on the 2009 DVD are the ones used on her Vevo/Youtube since they have the same look and quality (before they were replaced with upscaled versions)

• Love 1
  • Like 1

The GH:MP was made with love, and it used the original digital ProRes-masters (lossless) and while some of them were bit lower quality (480i) and other were downscaled or compressed to the DVD, they still maintained very crisp quality, in fact I'd argue the DVD is still probably the best resource for non-master video files because they don't use any upscaling that is found on youtube and later releases :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Anything after this, including TSC is awful in quality. It feels like her label doesn't care about her legacy. I hate the official youtube "HD" videos with blurry details, ghosting, chromatic aberration :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

Britney is a ******* legend, her videography needs to be 4k remastered. From original source material. Right away. :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

RCA, take notes:

Spoiler

• Love 4
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Stannedforever said:

The GH:MP was made with love, and it used the original digital ProRes-masters (lossless) and while some of them were bit lower quality (480i) and other were downscaled or compressed to the DVD, they still maintained very crisp quality, in fact I'd argue the DVD is still probably the best resource for non-master video files because they don't use any upscaling that is found on youtube and later releases :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Anything after this, including TSC is awful in quality. It feels like her label doesn't care about her legacy. I hate the official youtube "HD" videos with blurry details, ghosting, chromatic aberration :bedtime_britney_book_Reading:

Britney is a ******* legend, her videography needs to be 4k remastered. From original source material. Right away. :lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

RCA, take notes:

Reveal hidden contents

Wow i have't read the comments when i put mine and im not the only one thinking the same.

Since Britney isn't putting out new material this would be a great time for the label to do something like re-upload all of her music videos to YouTube in upscaled 8K or something really impressive and cutting edge. 

Why not? It needs to be done and also would get a ton of views.

• Love 1

Good question. The complaints at the time in 2009 about the DVD were well-documented.

I have to agree with the previous posts - the Greatest Hits: My Prerogative DVD is an absolute masterclass in a video anthology collection. Incredible packaging, menu, bonus material etc.

And popping it in is actually still my preferred method whenever I want to watch her classic videos. It really does make a difference to me that the videos on the DVD are the videos as they are, not the AI upscales that are on YouTube.

It's such a shame what has happened with physical media. Britney has a stunning videography - even into the conservatorship years - that could have been chronicled in yet another release in an even better format than DVD (4K ultra HD blu-ray) had the market not shifted so dramatically to everything digital.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, BritneyWiki said:

Since Britney isn't putting out new material this would be a great time for the label to do something like re-upload all of her music videos to YouTube in upscaled 8K or something really impressive and cutting edge. 

Why not? It needs to be done and also would get a ton of views.

I think all of the music labels should just stop ai rescaling all the older videos. 

Back in the day most music videos were filmed with 35mm cameras/film so its hd already on the masters. 

They should just go to the vault and upload it how it was originally filmed now that you can upload very high quality videos online, but they just dont care lol

Btw, I think the oops master tapes were lost or destroyed or something like that(? I think I read that fact somewhere 

I think DVD films (eg. GH:MP) were just better formulated back then. Especially, 2004 or earlier, because that’s when format was more popular. Now, everything is digital, & they can basically grab the pasty/blurry “HD” videos & throw them in the DVD, sell it, etc…

Not sure if that’s how it works, but it sure feels like it to me. You’d think that with today’s technology DVD video would look better than it did 15-20 years ago, but sometimes it just doesn’t. I’m not super savvy on the matter, but I feel like maybe GH:MP are proper scans of the videos, whereas the newer ones are just overly played with, compressed versions.

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, peacht said:

I think all of the music labels should just stop ai rescaling all the older videos. 

Back in the day most music videos were filmed with 35mm cameras/film so its hd already on the masters. 

They should just go to the vault and upload it how it was originally filmed now that you can upload very high quality videos online, but they just dont care lol

Btw, I think the oops master tapes were lost or destroyed or something like that(? I think I read that fact somewhere 

Music Videos were shot on 35mm film yes, but they were edited and mastered on tape.

The Film elements are raw and unedited. They can scan them to 4k but they'd have to redo all the editing. This is harder for videos thst heavily use special effects and CGI, like Toxic or Stronger

Edited by RulesRules

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.