Is Britney now with Universal Music?

Can someone clarify that for me cause I lost track of it all

She announced a movie with the Wicked director and it's like a musical and its with Universal so it includes her music,

so she sold her catalog to Universal too? or she's still under Sony and the music and distribution of the film is just a side contract?

+ She made a post that she's not doing a movie about her life anymore so it changed? what is the new project now

1 hour ago, Isla said:

Universal is her publishing company but she is still signed to RCA/Sony and they own the rights to her music.

Can you explain what that means please? If RCA owns the rights to her music, what does another label owning publishing matters? Like one gets paid for when a song is complete and released? And one get paid when the songs are streamed, purchased or paid to be used in a commercial/movie/sampled? 

3 minutes ago, MikeHunt said:

Can you explain what that means please? If RCA owns the rights to her music, what does another label owning publishing matters? Like one gets paid for when a song is complete and released? And one get paid when the songs are streamed, purchased or paid to be used in a commercial/movie/sampled? 

Owning your masters means you control the original recordings of your music. This gives you the right to license it out, decide how it's used in media, and collect the bulk of the revenue from streaming, sales, and sync deals. It’s the actual recording you hear when you hit play. 

Publishing are the songwriting itself—lyrics, melody, composition. If you own your publishing, you get paid every time your song is played publicly (radio, TV, covers, whatever). You could still earn from it even if someone else re-records your song. 

Owning both means full creative and financial control over your work, and it's rare because most artists sign away these rights early on in their careers for upfront cash or exposure. That’s why you hear so much about artists fighting to get their masters or publishing back—it’s where the real money and control come in. I recently bought both of these back for my music due to a number of reasons 

Edited by rik
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.