How do y’all handle family members hating on Britney?

Hey everyone! I experienced this last night and I wanted to know how ya’ll handle this. My brother in law is staying for a while and I was in my pajamas and wearing a Britney shirt. I went downstairs and he say it and he said ‘woahhh Britney Spears? How do you like that talentless hack’ and I was like she isn’t talentless stop hating. And he said oh I’m sorry she lip syncs. And I explained to him Britney mostly does playback. And my mom is making comments saying ‘she looks so high and drugged out now’ and I said ‘she has no history of dr*g use, her test results from 2007 came back and she tested negative. I’m also studying psychology in school rn and we have a dr*g unit and she doesn’t meet some of the behaviors and physical appearance that dr**s cause. And then he said well at least you aren’t listening to the stuff that’s coming out nowadays. But how do y’all handle this stuff when a family member hates on Britney to you? I live in Alabama and I’m 17 and they are conservative so it’s hard to talk mental health and stuff like that with them but have any of y’all experienced this before? I’m a very non confrontational person so I was like all shaky afterwards cause I can never defend myself lol. But yeah any advice? 

I’m sorry that happen :( 

honestly, just ignore them. It’s a very ignorant- not great  behavior to bully your kids taste in music or whatever, because you are experiencing what you like, and growing with it, it’s part of your personality, cultural taste in music, etc. Best thing to do it’s to keep liking the things YOU LIKE because the most important thing it’s that ( you like them) anyone else it’s an outsider of your world, it doesn’t matter if they respect it or not. 

Edited by Imnotcrazy
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, LoveYourselfMas said:

“I’m also studying psychology in school rn and we have a dr*g unit and she doesn’t meet some of the behaviors and physical appearance that dr**s cause.”

question: what behaviors can dr**s cause

Depending on the dr**s, but the dr**s that they are saying she is using (m*th, c*ke, etc) she doesn’t display those effects. If anything she only displays the effects of bipolar disorder. 

I try to explain and reason. I really do and a lot of times people kind of change their mind or stance or at least admit that she must’ve not had it easy or say that they didn’t know the things I explained them. 

Also let people know it is hurtful. Ask them about their idols and how they feel when people put them down in front of them. Ask them why they feel the need to be so negative about someone you care about. I feel like a lot of times in our lives as Britney fans we have been made to feel shame and I feel like it’s important to not feel that and be able to own up to being a fan and say this is someone I grew up with and admire and support and that is a lovely thing.

• Love 1
Just now, everybodygoesdown said:

I try to explain and reason. I really do and a lot of times people kind of change their mind or stance or at least admit that she must’ve not had it easy or say that they didn’t know the things I explained them. 

Also let people know it is hurtful. Ask them about their idols and how they feel when people put them down in front of them. Ask them why they feel the need to be so negative about someone you care about. I feel like a lot of times in our lives as Britney fans we have been made to feel shame and I feel like it’s important to not feel that and be able to own up to being a fan and say this is someone I grew up with and admire and support and that is a lovely thing.

The weird thing is, is it’s only like older people that judge Britney in my life. So my parents, brother in law, sister, etc. The kids in my school don’t judge her, they think she is so cool and inspirational.  I think it’s just generational  idk

1 minute ago, I might blackout said:

The weird thing is, is it’s only like older people that judge Britney in my life. So my parents, brother in law, sister, etc. The kids in my school don’t judge her, they think she is so cool and inspirational.  I think it’s just generational  idk

Yeah it’s that generation of people that has been fed the same lies and tabloid crap for 20 years. They have this image of her engrained in their heads. You can’t really change that but remember you know SO much more about her and you have all this information they don’t have and sometimes when you explain a bit and give some of that info, they realise that all they really know is just dirt from the tabloids and that maybe they shouldn’t judge off of that.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, I might blackout said:

Depending on the dr**s, but the dr**s that they are saying she is using (m*th, c*ke, etc) she doesn’t display those effects. If anything she only displays the effects of bipolar disorder. 

Oh ok because she literally does. The paranoia the twitchy mannerisms anxiety depression talking in code seeings “signs” looking like she stayed up all night excessive ***ual and grandiose behavior. Isolation 

and she displays effects of borderline 

Not trying to fight someone who has bias but yeah if you’re going to say you’re studying psychology: back up what you’re saying with facts. what are the general effects from stimulants  that you say all have nothing to do with how Britney behaves. She cemented herself her association with adderall and is with an ex m*** dealer.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, LoveYourselfMas said:

Oh ok because she literally does. The paranoia the twitchy mannerisms anxiety depression talking in code seeings “signs” looking like she stayed up all night excessive ***ual and grandiose behavior. Isolation 

Not trying to fight someone who has bias but yeah if you’re going to say you’re studying psychology: back up what you’re saying with facts. what are the general effects from stimulants  that you say all have nothing to do with how Britney behaves. She cemented herself her association with adderall and is with an ex m*** dealer.

4 minutes ago, LoveYourselfMas said:

Her behavior clearly reflects possible stimulant use you can say we don’t know but to comment that “doesn’t display those effects” means your perception is grossly disturbed/distorted. 

Carey Mulligan Shut Up GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, LoveYourselfMas said:

If she is on m*** she clearly doesn’t look it. I’ve seen dental effects of people on m***, even the slightest amount doesn’t look like her mouth. The only other behavior she experiences that could be related to m*** is hyperactivity which is talking fast, jittery movements, stuff like that. She’s had those jittery movements since Vegas. She experiences anxiety and depression, the fast talking could likely be the cause of anxiety. I know when I’m nervous and have anxiety I speak super fast and monotone. The only illness that Britney could have based on behavior, past depression states, anxiety, etc could be Bipolar type 1 and 2, ADHD, and BPD. She’s experienced these symptoms for a big part of her life and during the conservatorship (2019-2021) and hasn’t changed, it’s most likely mental and not substance.

My family always respected my love for Britney ever since I was a kid. My older brother would always make fun of her mental health after 2007 but it stopped once she made a comeback. After 2020 she was heavily discussed in family reunions because of the Free Britney movement, we all agreed she should regain her freedom back. But ever since 2022 some of my family members are making fun of her again and showing me the disturbing things she posts on Instagram. At first I was always saying she's just enjoying her freedom and showing her ***uality for the first time as a free woman, but things got weirder and weirder and it just came to a point where I didn't know what to say and I stopped defending her behavior. 

• Like 1

I’ve had most of my family talk crap to me about Britney since I was a kid. So I’m so used to it, it rolls right off me. 
But I get what you mean. They judge Britney for the current version she portrays herself on IG and people forget about the iconic Princess of Pop performer she was. It’s hard to defend her nowadays because it feels she’s so disconnected to the pop star version of herself. I honestly don’t feel like I even know this Britney to defend her. Now when people talk crap I just tell them “well we all don’t really what’s going on in her life. She’s had a rough life and at this point I just hope she’s happy and healthy. I’ll always appreciate the music, the performances and fun times her music brought me. The nostalgia of that time of Britney is what I like to celebrate. I still root for her though.”

And people seem to back off with me.

Now if they try to bring up false negative statements about her, then I will correct them. But honestly the older I get the more I realized no matter what, people are going to believe whatever they choose to believe. The most I can try to do is sway them to have empathy and humanity towards her. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.