Pharrell, who wrote Britney Spears' 'I'm a Slave 4 U,' says he wouldn’t use 'slave' in a song title today (Seen Britney 10 Years Ago & She Didn't Remember Him)

8 minutes ago, Frankie8 said:

BuyingCircus, calm down. I didn't disrespect your mama.

I read this years ago. He said it in reference to the Neptunes changing her sound to more adult and switching course from teen pop.

4 minutes ago, Style. said:

Oh, yes I remember something but I’m not sure if he used those words or not. 

No he didn't said that

"Speaking to Time magazine, Pharrell explained that “taking somebody from A to B is cool, but when we produce we want to take people from A to D, to challenge their artistic natures, their image, everything.” This happened with Britney Spears. The release of “I’m A Slave 4U” transformed Britney from pop princess into a lock-up-your-sons adult artist. It also showcased The Neptunes unique milkshake of irresistible flavours from the past and future to a much larger audience, helping them to garner production work with Usher, No Doubt, Mary J Blige, Busta Rhymes, Garbage, more songs with both Jay and Britney in the following year, and lesser known gems like Janet Jackson & Beenie Man’s “Feel It Boy”, LL Cool J’s “Luv U Better” and pre-“Losing You” Solange track “Crush”."

WWW.VICE.COM

In the next in our hip hop retrospectives, we look at The Neptunes who spearheaded the most revolutionary change in the sound of pop since Motown.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DiamondCircus said:

This part is so sad.

“Man, I ain’t spoke to Britney in maybe 10-plus years,” he said. “I think I’ve seen her in the elevator one time. I think we were all going into the same place or something. I can remember exactly where it was, and she had her sunglasses on, and I was like, ‘I know that’s Britney. Maybe she doesn’t remember me. That’s fine.’” :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

She was drugged and trafficked all about the place 10 years ago... :wendycry_wiliams_panicked_crying_tears_upset_sad:

Very weird, she mentioned Pharrell a couple of times during the c-ship days... he was part of her prime, she performed with him and they did the boys music video together. Definitely not a random person. 

She couldn’t talk to him or really didn't remember him. 

Edited by Dark Willow
14 hours ago, Agyness said:

In Britney's case, the shame and sorrow eat away at her so much that she prefers to avoid everyone from her past, yes. He didn't say he said hello tho. 

Exactly… why was he expecting her to acknowledge him if he recognized her he could’ve initiated a hello. So essentially he’s saying she should’ve tmade the first move, people are lameeee. Now had he said he said hello and she ignored him then this would be a thing but it’s not, people like to be salacious for no reason. 

• Like 2

didn't he also produce and get a feature on Boys?

Maybe Britney just notice him with the sunglasses on?

Spoiler

Anyways, y'all need to read this one Illuminati article, it explains the slave part too :beysip_sipping_drink_hoodie_starbucks_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_giggle_cackle_cackling_laughing_lmao:

VIGILANTCITIZEN.COM

Britney Spears is a pop icon who simultaneously embodies the glamour of stardom and the destructive side of fame. She has reached the heights of super-stardom and the lows of tabloid humiliation. Her...

One great Britney song among the many, many great songs she did and her albums.

I don't think this song is the only Britney song that this world would not have in 2024 because of name or lyrics.

With Pharrell here it's something racial and historic. In other songs it maybe something else. Too adult. Too aggressive. Too *** **** sweet! Whatever.

Britney did beautiful art from the first song of BOMT to the last on GLORY. Being born in the early 80's she had a great crowd for showing the world what she could offer. I don't know if music is today what is was twenty years ago.

Maybe our world was bigger and richer than the world of the youth today. We got Britney and all the other from her genre and other genres.

Today they have Swift and whoever else people listen to these days. But many great artist today are about Britney's age or older I feel.

I think times were better. At that time Pharrell wrote "Slave 4 you" and Britney sang it.

Today Pharrell says he wouldn't do it if it was these times. And Britney? Well she haven't released an album in 8 years and claims to be done with the music industry.

There’s nothing wrong with using the word slave in the way Britney did 🙄 I swear this current generation where everything is offensive, drives me insane. Deal with your trauma instead of projecting your triggers onto others.

Now, point 2. Were they even friends? Or did they just work the days they needed to record something and that’s it? I can see Britney also thinking he looked familiar and maybe didn’t say anything, and I can also see her literally not looking to any side and miss he was there LOL, because that’s exactly what I do when I wear my sunglasses. 

• Like 2

Censorship is getting out of hand. Blocking words is just absurd. This is just a song about girl who wants to live, that likes a guy SO much she wants to dance with him.

About Britney not recognizing him. I'm sure she does. She was probably surrounded by Goblin Greenhill and Edan Fester and he got scared and didn't say hi. Lol

You know Britney was never allowed to interact with anyone unless it was planned before hand not even celebrities.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, GirlOnTheMoon said:

There’s nothing wrong with using the word slave in the way Britney did 🙄 I swear this current generation where everything is offensive, drives me insane. Deal with your trauma instead of projecting your triggers onto others.

Now, point 2. Were they even friends? Or did they just work the days they needed to record something and that’s it? I can see Britney also thinking he looked familiar and maybe didn’t say anything, and I can also see her literally not looking to any side and miss he was there LOL, because that’s exactly what I do when I wear my sunglasses. 

They did Boys and Slave 4 you and reunited for Blackout and did Sugarfall and Why Should I Be Sad.

They also partied together at the 2007 VMA's, they did the Boys video and performed it together as well.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.