Is Taylor Swift a Legend?

KrisJ

I read an argument on another forum on this topic. Obviously the answer is NO, but happy to discuss on Exhell :peasants_taylor_swift_walking_away_bye_goodbye:

Lots of sales does not equal a legend.

She has ZERO iconic performances or pop-culture moments

ZERO impact or influence on emerging artists. 

ZERO memorable songs that will stand the test of time. 

ZERO iconic, innovative or memorable music videos 

Edited by KrisJ
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1

one of the things that made britney a legend was her immediate stellar debut (unlike no other), her amount and timing of her rise to fame, her extremely public ‘downfall’, and then her incredible comeback to the top. Definition of living legend. And of course, her influence and innovation to the next generation. Her playbook is used so much. I can go on and on. And then everything she went through recently. People throw around icon now so much, whatever, but I feel like you have to really earn your stripes for legend. Britney’s one of the younger legends, so its not bad that Taylor or anyone may not be. She’s still got time. The other Legends are like Michael, Prince, Whitney, Aretha, Elvis etc. whom all have passed sadly, but we do have some living legends like Dolly Parton, Madonna, Cher, and some younger ones like Britney Mariah. 

• Like 2

In a nutshell:

Her appeal is her mediocrity, a lot of her fans can relate

i remember back in 2013 when the Europe music awards / MTV EMAs  took place in Frankfurt Germany, she received best new artist although no one in Europe cared for her nor did they really know her , she did t even have any impact , but yet she bought herself in. We were there and wondering WHO is this and WHY ? Aute Cuture GIF by ROSALÍA

• Love 1
  • Super Mods

In terms of sales and success, yes. She's a legend among her fanbase.

However, it stops there. Among her peers, shes out shadowed by nearly everyone (artistically).

Not even close to Britneys dancing and performance level, as well as discography.

Not even close to Arianas vocals.

Not even close to Beyonce's vocals and quality music.

Not even close the vocals of Christina Aguilera.

Adele is better than her both vocally and lyrically.

Taylor Swift is literally a person made famous by an average man.

In common folks, there are those of us who glorify talent, charisma, and overall that SPECIAL SOMETHING a person brings. And we dont hope to be like this person or achieve this person's success, we simply admire their talent and skills.

But in society there are also those who wish to live their daydream of maybe being able to be successful even with very VERY little talent. And that's what Taylor Swift represents - a glimmer of hope that a very average girl/gay boy, can actually become famous and extremely rich. 

Taylor has very average lyrics.

Her voice is average or even below average.

Her dancing skills - won't even comment, she doesn't have them.

So Taylor basically lacks everything an exceptional pop star should have. The only people who actually admire her lyrics and perceive them as some sort of Shakespearean poetry are her fans. Who, I kid you not, also possess similar, mediocre skills in poetry. 

I genuinely don't hate Taylor, I have nothing against her. Don't know her, and I will never even in my wildest dreams be able to achieve her success or fame. People who genuinely irk me are her fans. They support mediocrity, and they finance mediocrity. All in hopes that them too, can achieve this success.

And they can't. Taylor comes from a family of money and connections, something 99% of society doesn't have. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, KrisJ said:

I read an argument on another forum on this topic. Obviously the answer is NO, but happy to discuss on Exhell :peasants_taylor_swift_walking_away_bye_goodbye:

Lots of sales does not equal a legend.

She has ZERO iconic performances or pop-culture moments

ZERO impact or influence on emerging artists. 

ZERO memorable songs that will stand the test of time. 

ZERO iconic, innovative or memorable music videos 

Yes

Spoiler

The most annoying "legend" :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

I think the song 'All Too Well (10 min)' will pass the test of time, it's pretty good and people related to it a lot and gained award. The re-recording thing that she has done had obviously influenced other artists to do the same or to think again about their contracts or masters/owning them. Um, when it comes to music videos, I don't see any iconic ones - maybe 'Bad Blood' (not for me, tho). She has her spot on pop culture, I wouldn't call her a legend though. At least not yet, maybe in the future, we'll see.

Lots of sales does not equal a legend. - yes it kind of does

She has ZERO iconic performances or pop-culture moments - her whole Eras Tour is iconic. There’s a reason why every show is sold out in minutes and is the highest grossing tour EVER. Even tons of celebrities show up to her show every week.

ZERO impact or influence on emerging artists. - Olivia Rodrigo, Sabrina Carpenter and Gracie Abrams say Hi.

ZERO memorable songs that will stand the test of time. - excuse me? Shake it Off, Blank Space, Bad Blood, I knew you were trouble, All Too Well, You Belong With Me, Love Story, Lover, Anti-Hero, Karma, Cruel Summer and more say Hi also!

ZERO iconic, innovative or memorable music videos - Blank Space, Bad Blood, Look What you made me do, Wildest Dreams, Delicate, You belong with me just to name a few

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Fita said:

I think the song 'All Too Well (10 min)' will pass the test of time, it's pretty good and people related to it a lot and gained award. The re-recording thing that she has done had obviously influenced other artists to do the same or to think again about their contracts or masters/owning them. Um, when it comes to music videos, I don't see any iconic ones - maybe 'Bad Blood' (not for me, tho). She has her spot on pop culture, I wouldn't call her a legend though. At least not yet, maybe in the future, we'll see.

Good song, but not nothing memorable.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.