Gofundme? Benefits many yet many abuse it ? Thoughts?

Steve W

Gofundme can be a good thing. Is a good thing for many. Yet many abuse gofundme and ruin it for others . I have given money to a bunch of Gofundme accounts . Recently an exhale member connected with me in the messaging area of exhale. We talked . They sent me voice messages . Yet I began to trust the person and had empathy for their situation . Down the road I was asked if I would donate to their Gofundme. I was hesitant and taken aback. I thought this is a stranger. I was told a long sob story then was told they were homeless. They were down and out.  They had squandered an inheritance from show boating and poor choices. That part I thought . You were an idiot and mismanagement of your money and it was on you. Yet they spoke about their current hardships. I empathized .  Struck a chord. I felt bad and decided I would give some money to support this individual. Maybe it was a good deed I needed to do. Well time passed and barely heard from this person. I would see posts of them on adventures.  Then one day they popped back into messaging me . A post I saw unnerved me from the individual I had helped. Yet while connecting back with me . This individual stated people were no longer giving money to their Gofundme account. This person still had no job. I said amazon, waiter, bus tables, doordash , walmart take any job. This person basically stated those jobs were beneath them.  It unnerved me to hear it . I always hustled in hard times. They wanted empathy a second time.  I though get a job you scammer. Saw this person continuing to post videos of their trips to concerts . I realize this person is lazy , a narcissist and someone who is only looking for a pity party. Get a job you useless oxygen thief was my thought. They then told me they were still homeless but living in an airbnb. Hmmmm ? This scammer who in lazy and above working a job below their standards was living in an airbnb. Has anyone else been contacted for money on exhale like I was ?  I will continue to help where I can. Yet I will not monetarily give money for support to strangers. This one stranger left a bad taste in my mouth. I finally ripped into them . Then I was blocked for hate. I do not like this person but no hate . Disappointed and disgusted by people who think they are entitled. Get a job and grow up.  I have had lazy family members abuse gofundme as well. These abusers are ruining it for people who actually need help. Sorry just needed to vent. This scumbag is posting away on this site . I avoid them because I will just lash out. Then get reprimanded. All good . 

Edited by Steve W
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block