Shooting at Colorado Gay Club

Brat

A 22-year-old gunman entered an LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado, just before midnight Saturday and immediately opened fire, killing at least five people and injuring 18 others, before patrons confronted and stopped him, police said Sunday.

The suspect in the shooting at Club Q was identified as Anderson Lee Aldrich, according to Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez. He used a long rifle in the shooting, and two firearms were found at the scene, Vasquez said.

At least two people inside the club confronted and fought the gunman and prevented further violence, Vasquez said. “We owe them a great debt of thanks,” he said.

The violence lasted just minutes. Police received numerous 911 calls starting at 11:56 p.m., officers were dispatched at 11:57 p.m., an officer arrived at midnight and the suspect was detained at 12:02 a.m., police said. A total of 39 patrol officers responded, police said, and Fire Department Captain Mike Smaldino said 11 ambulances went to the scene.

Of the 18 people injured, several are in critical condition with gunshot wounds, though the exact number was unclear, officials said.

The suspect is being treated at a hospital, police added. Officers did not shoot at him, police said.

The location of the shooting is reminiscent of the 2016 attack at an LGBTQ nightclub in Orlando, Florida, in which a gunman who pledged allegiance to the Islamic State killed 49 people and wounded at least 53. Colorado has been the site of some of the most heinous mass shootings in US history, including the 1999 shooting in Columbine High School and the 2012 movie theater shooting in Aurora.

Police said they were investigating whether the attack was a hate crime and noted Club Q’s relationship with the LGBTQ community.

“Club Q is a safe haven for our LGBTQ citizens,” Vasquez said. “Every citizen has a right to feel safe and secure in our city, to go about our beautiful city without fear of being harmed or treated poorly.”

In a statement on social media, Club Q said it was “devastated by the senseless attack on our community” and thanked “the quick reactions of heroic customers that subdued the gunman and ended this hate attack.”

Club Q posted earlier in the day that its Saturday night lineup would feature a punk and alternative show at 9 p.m. followed by a dance party at 11. The club also planned to hold a drag brunch and a drag show on Sunday for Transgender Day of Remembrance. The club’s website now says it will be closed until further notice.

221120054151-01-colorado-springs-shootin

A 22-year-old gunman entered an LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado, just before midnight Saturday and immediately opened fire, killing at least five people and injuring 18 others...

• Love 1

This is why A) I am so happy I don’t live in the states (I live in Canada) and B) interested if he acquired his gun legally or illegally & probably why there needs to be tighter gun controls like in Canada and C) This is why anytime someone says “why can’t we have straight Pride then?” — Because people don’t ****** you for just existing that’s why you pricks. D) A solemn reminder we are a minority that is still deeply hated by some who will go so far as this to see us ********. 

So so sad. Sending love and prayers. 

• Love 1

He follows and is followed by men who make fun of trans people and are right winged. The fact that the shooting was the night before Transgender Day of Remembrance makes it seem 100% a hate crime. His fellow trans-hating friend posted this message on his story:

https://instagram.com/stories/dark.finesser/2975841250008838882?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=Zjc2ZTc4Nzk=

*in case the link doesn’t work. He link the story of the shooting and wrote “I have his bail money 🙏🏻

There was a shooting at a Walmart in Virginia two nights ago, just a city over from me. A manager there who got bullied a lot fired on employees in the break room. It’s horrible stuff, will there never be peace.. I was really worried about one of my friends (hey gurl) cuz she goes to that location all the time because it has all the stuff she needs for her cake decorating business..

On 11/21/2022 at 12:42 AM, GlitterRain said:

This is why I say BAN ALL GUNS. 

yes i agree so much 🥺

people will say they want a gun 2 be protected, but if we just ban guns then there’s a whole lot less 2 be protected from people 😡

anyways this heartbreaking 😔

violence happens in my city (we’re a disadvantaged city) all the time & i wish every 1 could agree 2 ban guns so every 1 in the usa could be a lot safer 😓

1 hour ago, agustinmalandra said:

This is so sad, what a horror... United enSlavers of America is far away of being an "it" country... can't believe the hate towards our community! they deserve justice and idk what is that fnkg country waiting to ban guns.

The United States will never in a million years ban guns. Gun ownership is a fundamental aspect of the country's founding, history, and psychology. Will they create tougher laws though to try to prevent dangerous or potentially dangerous individuals from having guns? Also no, IMO. :crying3_britney_sobbing_tears_sad: There are countries where ordinary citizens can have guns, but there are more barriers to ownership and stricter rules. And the US doesn't want to be one of those countries. 

Edit: Coincidentally, I just saw some information that US citizens privately own more guns than the entire rest of the world combined. :umomg_britney_shocked_wow_omg_surprised_eyes_wide:

4 hours ago, Malibu.D.Luxx said:

The fact that he is trying to say he identifies as they/them to avoid hate crime charges is absolutely disgusting. I really hope this guy goes down. 

I saw his IG page before they took it down and he was transphobic, followed Trump and many transphobic accounts. His own friends referred to him as “he/him”. It’s disgusting how his legal team is using this to paint him as a leftist democrat to avoid hate crimes. But also to avoid association with the Republican MAGA crowd that his grandfather is apart of. This could effect his grandfathers political career, so it’s all lies to benefit him and the party. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

I saw his IG page before they took it down and he was transphobic, followed Trump and many transphobic accounts. His own friends referred to him as “he/him”. It’s disgusting how his legal team is using this to paint him as a leftist democrat to avoid hate crimes. But also to avoid association with the Republican MAGA crowd that his grandfather is apart of. This could effect his grandfathers political career, so it’s all lies to benefit him and the party. 

Yeah… he’s garbage. I hope they see through the BS and I hope it screws things up for old pops too. Some days I really just don’t like people. Losing faith in the human race one day at a time. 🤦‍♀️ 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block