is there a tv show that surpassed buffy?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the most acclaimed vampire series to ever be created with one of the biggest fan bases on television. The show was created by Joss Whedon after the 1992 film by the same name. The show's popularity led to a cult phenomenon that led to novels, comics and video games. It coined the term "Buffyverse" with a spin-off sequel show titled Angel.

Vampire-show-IMDb.jpg

Thanks to a strong fan base, the vampire genre became quite popular, leading to some of these television series getting made and entertaining viewers.

Not sure you were following the revival/reboot news but found this update from August and thought it was interesting: 

buffy-reboot-cancelled.jpg?w=620

The undead population of Sunnydale can breathe a collective sigh of relief.

There's no apparent reason for the revival to be in pause other than fan backlash I think. I'll admit I was frustrated with the idea of following a new Slayer. I would prefer SMG back, or it be her daughter or something. But that's me holding onto the OG characters and unwilling to embrace some change which you know, maybe it would be an incredible story. Buffy made it possible for there to be multiple Slayers at a time in the cannon story and in keeping with the continuation of the story within the comics so the new Slayer could exist in a universe concurrently with Buffy Summers. 

I do kind of resent SMG. She is the reason the show ended. And let's be honest, since she left Buffy, she hasn't had a hit since unless you consider Scooby-Doo a big accomplishment. Every TV show she's been part of since Buffy didn't last. Ringer for example (which I did like) lasted one season. And then she did a show with Robin Williams, the Crazy Ones, only lasted a season. I mean her net worth is incredible as is but had she stayed on with Buffy, or had they been open to doing a movie or two or trilogy based on the TV show at it's peak of popularity, she could be worth a lot more. Oh well. I think the time came and went for her to reprise her role and it be successful. 

Side note: I would argue True Blood is a good contender to Buffy. It also has a cult following and was a pretty big show at it's peak too. True Blood, like Buffy, had a lot of implicit cultural messages surrounding important issues relevant to the era. It was brilliantly done.

Vampire Diaries was good but... it's a soap opera with pretty people and doesn't deal with any culturally sensitive or provocative concepts. 

Rawr.

16 minutes ago, x.rox said:
Vampire-show-IMDb.jpg

Thanks to a strong fan base, the vampire genre became quite popular, leading to some of these television series getting made and entertaining viewers.

Not sure you were following the revival/reboot news but found this update from August and thought it was interesting: 

buffy-reboot-cancelled.jpg?w=620

The undead population of Sunnydale can breathe a collective sigh of relief.

There's no apparent reason for the revival to be in pause other than fan backlash I think. I'll admit I was frustrated with the idea of following a new Slayer. I would prefer SMG back, or it be her daughter or something. But that's me holding onto the OG characters and unwilling to embrace some change which you know, maybe it would be an incredible story. Buffy made it possible for there to be multiple Slayers at a time in the cannon story and in keeping with the continuation of the story within the comics so the new Slayer could exist in a universe concurrently with Buffy Summers. 

I do kind of resent SMG. She is the reason the show ended. And let's be honest, since she left Buffy, she hasn't had a hit since unless you consider Scooby-Doo a big accomplishment. Every TV show she's been part of since Buffy didn't last. Ringer for example (which I did like) lasted one season. And then she did a show with Robin Williams, the Crazy Ones, only lasted a season. I mean her net worth is incredible as is but had she stayed on with Buffy, or had they been open to doing a movie or two or trilogy based on the TV show at it's peak of popularity, she could be worth a lot more. Oh well. I think the time came and went for her to reprise her role and it be successful. 

Side note: I would argue True Blood is a good contender to Buffy. It also has a cult following and was a pretty big show at it's peak too. True Blood, like Buffy, had a lot of implicit cultural messages surrounding important issues relevant to the era. It was brilliantly done.

Vampire Diaries was good but... it's a soap opera with pretty people and doesn't deal with any culturally sensitive or provocative concepts. 

Rawr.

maybe wolf pack tv show might be a hit for sarah but yes she hasnt had big success since leaving buffy.

Buffy was huge, no one mentioned here (TB, TVD,..) were so big and popular as Buffy worldwide.

Sarah Michelle was hot, but she got no good movies (like Harvard Man) and some miss opportunities (like not to survive in The Gruge 2). The success of The Grudge was based on Sarah.

I used to compare her with Reese Witherspoon (Cruel Intentions), but Sarah went in shadows.

Buffy was really huge 1998-2001 and they definitely should went to big movie.

34 minutes ago, x.rox said:

I do kind of resent SMG. She is the reason the show ended.

That's not true. UPN signed a 2 season deal. Sarah and Joss came to an agreement that the 7th would be the last. Joss wanted to work on other projects.Sarah wanted to work on other projects and was exhausted. (she was in every episode)

Now we are learning how toxic Joss was on set... So we can't really blame it on Sarah.

• Like 1

Buffy was in time slot when TV shows were average, later in 2005-2007 it come to other level.

Buffy was one of “out of age” TV shoes, and it really evaluated from season to season. Angel continued the success of Buffy BTW, it was so sad to see so few Buffy in that spin-off.

the Ringer was OK, but hiatus for 3 month in the middle of season killed the hype. Sad.

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block