President Biden surprises Elton John with National Humanities Medal during performance for teachers, nurses and AIDS activists

Urbanney

Ok, I thought this was a super sweet, wholesome story that y'all might appreciate it after what Elton has done for Britney lately.

Elton John was performing at the White House last night for everyday heroes like teachers, nurses, AIDS activists, and LGBTQ advocates when President Biden used the performance to surprise Elton by awarding him with the National Humanities Medal for being a "tidal wave" who helped people rise up for justice.

Spoiler

“God bless you, let’s have some music,” said Elton John.

With that, the White House South Lawn was transformed into a musical lovefest Friday night as John played a farewell gig to honor everyday “heroes” like teachers, nurses and AIDS activists. But as it turns out, the event was also to honor the 75-year-old British songwriter — President Joe Biden surprised him with the National Humanities Medal for being a “tidal wave” who helped people rise up for justice.

John seemed almost overcome by the accolades, telling the audience of 2,000 people: “I don’t know what to say. ... I don’t know how to take a compliment very well but it’s wonderful to be here amongst so many people who have helped my AIDS foundation and my heroes, that ones that work day to day on the front line.”

He said he’d played some beautiful venues before, but the stage in front of the White House, beneath a massive open-air tent on a perfect autumn night, was “probably the icing on the cake.”

He kicked off the show with “Your Song,” his first big international hit.

The intimate guest list included teachers, nurses, frontline workers and LGBTQ advocates, plus former first lady Laura Bush, civil rights advocate Ruby Bridges, education activist Malala Yousafzai and Jeanne White-Ginder, an AIDS activist and mother of Ryan White, who died from AIDS-related complications in 1990.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-princess-diana-queen-elizabeth-ii-entertainment-05852e61769484cfa21671b12cd2b930

Congrats, Elton! And thank you for being such a trailblazer and inspiration for the LGBTQ community, Britney, and so many others! :clap_clapping_britney_xfactor_red_excited_yay_cheer::sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I forgot - you're a teacher, right? :ohcrap_britney_crap_omg_glory_jimmy_kimmel_jkl_surprised_wow:

:yay_britney_excited_ftr_for_the_record_2008_cheering_clapping:

Yes! You got me with this post, at least somebody is thinking about us! I’m so happy Britney has done Hold Me Closer with such an influential king. Elton John is a gatekeeper and being embraced by one is huuuge news! Only queen things in this household! :rihclap_rihanna_clapping_applause_yes_yas:

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.