The True Inspiration Behind 'Gimme More' (It's Elvis B***h!)

I'm honestly ashamed that I never truly realized the brilliance of Britney's 2007 VMA performance for 'Gimme More.' Forget the "lackluster" performance, the true genius is in the concept.

I feel like many people, including some fans, may look at the performance and think, "yah, she just wanted to get up there and be ****," but in fact, it's actually an homage to Elvis.

Now, I remember clearly that leading up to the performance there were rumors about Britney doing an Elvis cover, which I imagine had more to do with her doing that "if you're looking for trouble..." intro since that was in one of his songs, but in reality there was actually some substance to that. 

The performance itself...

In 1968, Elvis put on a COMEBACK show and opened up the show with his iconic song "Trouble."

Is it a coincidence that Britney also had her COMEBACK performance by opening up a show with the same lines?

If that's not enough, look at the backdrops...

Elvis' backdrop around the 1:45 mark featured red boxes with black silhouettes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also, I'm pretty sure the leather jacket and grainy vintage vibe of the 'Gimme More' video, is again another reference to Elvis:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Love 9

great analysis, I had always had the same feeling but never knew of the red silhouettes backdrop.

she referenced Elvis with the DWAD promo too.

do we know anything else about it? was this because Vegas was considered like Elvis city? i never stopped to think about it.

love topics like these.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Wait there's people that don't know this? :huh_britney_confused_what_2003_itz_zone_in_the:

The whole concept of the performance was a homage to Elvis, and it's quite fitting because there are a lot of parallels between Britney and Elvis in their fame, they occupy quite a similar place in their respective generations. As much as people always compare Britney to artists like Madonna and Michael, I think people underestimate the Elvis parallel to her.

• Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.