In Retrospect : "Sparks" by Hilary Duff (Tove Lo, Floppage, Choreo, Tinder Debacle, and More)

"Sparks" by Hilary Duff - a timeless classic?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Omg you are so cute w this dedication :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: :ohcrap_britney_crap_omg_glory_jimmy_kimmel_jkl_surprised_wow:

reading this was so much fun. I am a late 90s baby and in 2015, when sparks was released I was in my last year of high school. The year was populated by a lot of different artists, most of whom have not managed to remain relevant…. But some of whom were really good (don’t get me started with Ultraviolence in 2014 :yesplease_yas_agree_preach: or Kendrick’s To Pimp a Butterfly in 2015). Hilary coming back was so unexpected, however by the time sparks came out she had already released All About You (which should’ve been released in place of Chasing the Sun, and both ended up being lead singles for a folk pop record she described as “earthy”, which eventually were scrapped, and largely replaced with the dance pop songs.

I remember when Sparks came out I was very happy. It was a nice return and it was interesting to see her collab with someone as popular and current at the time as Tov Love (although at the time I didn’t get the big deal cuz I was still on my 2000s ****, but closer to 90s at the time). I also wasnt into pop at this time but because Hilary was one of my favourite singers growing up, I had to 

the fan demanded comment is reAl though. I genuinely think while it was such an annoyance to see her tinder profile (which she went on a late night show to explain because before the music video people on Reddit and so forth in LA discussed matching with Hilary on tinder, which at the time wa so new), it was shocking to see her release a “fan demanded” version. 

as for the most personal comments and Hilary having none of it, in all fairness the original conception for the record was to be much more personal. I will say at the time of breathe in breathe out when she released the box set edition with Outlaw, she also included a picture of her and the (easily over 30) producers and songwriters involved in the making of breathe in breathe out. I’ll have to look for it now! 

I remember when she was ON THESE MORNINT SHOWS DANCING- I couldn’t. Still, even though she was flat she made quite the effort to sing live during this time. I think what really discouraged her from releasing more music was that it only really had success for a short amount of time. And that too, on iTunes. I think she expected to bring in Most Wanted or Dignity numbers without realizing how difficult it was going to be after spending so much time outside of the industry. When Younger became a hit show, I think she decided to focus fully on acting as her primary return to the mainstream gaze. 

I apologize for this essay 

• Love 4
  • Like 1

I remember how complete I felt when the My Kind song dropped on her VEVO with the all about you/sparks rehearsals I think. I really felt like my life was figured out and then it all quite literally took a turn after that summer of 2015! Very dark. So weird to think I’m even in a post-2015/16 context despite so much happening to me, and the world 

around 2016, when glory came out about a year and a bit is when I was starting to become an adult in a way. That record brought me actual happiness for some reason, but so did breathe in breathe out when I needed it in my life

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Rik said:

Omg you are so cute w this dedication :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: :ohcrap_britney_crap_omg_glory_jimmy_kimmel_jkl_surprised_wow:

I apologize for this essay 

I'm no Hilary Duff stan, but I was so invested in the Breathe In. Breathe Out. era, lol. I would watch all those daytime show performances and root for her even though they were kind of a hot mess. But I loved the album so much, so I just felt like I had to. :orangu_orangutan_ape: Also, that snarky little part about faux authenticity is just nonsense and fluff. I mean, to be fair, it's accurate, but it has nothing to do with Miss Lizzie. :makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao: It's cute how invested you are, though. It really shows, and I love that for you. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

I'm no Hilary Duff stan, but I was so invested in the Breathe In. Breathe Out. era, lol. I would watch all those daytime show performances and root for her even though they were kind of a hot mess. But I loved the album so much, so I just felt like I had to. :orangu_orangutan_ape: Also, that snarky little part about faux authenticity is just nonsense and fluff. I mean, to be fair, it's accurate, but it has nothing to do with Miss Lizzie. :makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao: It's cute how invested you are, though. It really shows, and I love that for you. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

I relate to this. I was trying to hard to make this a mainstream hit amongst my peers at the time. They all disliked it and even INSULTED REBEL HEARTS DNNDJDJDJEJDJDJD

in all fairness, I don’t think she’s much of a singer. Enough time has passed for me to see that her real acting is singing and I think it was easy for me to come to terms with it because she had already been gone since Reach Out. The amount of time that has passed between BIBO and now is almost the exact same amount of time that passed between Dignity and BIBO. That’s what’s also woken me up. Im happy she’s on TV, she belongs on a small screen (in the nicest way possible, she deserves to be a TV IT girl at the emmys and stuff!) 

you are very sweet and I really appreciate this thread!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

Taylor Swift tease with them easter eggs. Don't come for her. :riri_rihanna_take_bow_wink_flirt_hand_white:

Taylor literally copies breathe in breathe out if I remember correctly…. She was all

:taylor_swift_evil_smile: My favourite song off breathe in breathe out? Breathe in breathe out of course :taylor_swift_evil_smile:

on her tumblr or whateva….. and then she released a song w “x marks the spot where we left our hearts” :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek: the next year :staysalty_hands_rub_so_there_blue_walk_away_made_my_point:

:peasants_taylor_swift_walking_away_bye_goodbye:  Singer songwriter. Business woman. Actress. Mogul. Thief. :peasants_taylor_swift_walking_away_bye_goodbye: 

Spoiler

After starting to come to terms with what happened in 2015 and after that breathe in breathe out summer, about three years later I found myself writing papers and smoking w**d frequently to this song in third year 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, I Always Sing Live said:

You know what they say - never trust a Beyoncé fan.

tumblr_op9b1clbrw1slj24go1_250.gifv

these productions sound so similar.

in December 2004/January 2005 I went to visit my dads side of the family and at the time Much Music was super popular. I must have been 7 or just turned 8. At the time Much Music (Canada’s equivalent to MTV, especially back in the day) would release compilation CDs. Every holiday season, in preparation for the new year they would do a sort of year of end top hits. That year they released Much Music 2005. Outrageous was the track right after naughty girl and the transition was the flute they used…. To combine both songs. It was genius 

I love me some Beyoncé. Hilary and Haiylies Our Lips are Sealed was also on this disc. Actually amazing artists were like Jay Z (dirt off your shoulders), Black Eyed Peas (let’s get it started), and more. 

funng enough it was my sister who bought the much music 2005. My cousin bought destiny fulfilled by destiny’s child…. And I bought Hilary duffs self titled 2004 CD. None of them probably remember this but my memory is kind of insane for a full time pothead lol

why did I make this thread abt my life and the music I was listening to at diff parts of it plz 

anyway

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.