Selena Gomez playing playing gay mountaineer Silvia Vasquez Lavado in new movie

42 minutes ago, thebritmaster said:

I like when straight or cis actors play LGBT characters because it requires them to use a lot of empathy and learn to walk in another’s shoes. Also, pretending to be someone you’re not is the point of acting :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

However, woke Twitter will attack. I hope she never apologizes :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:

I see your point about it being annoying after a while, but tbh this whole broke back mountain type casting is so outdated. 
95% of big Hollywood actors are cis and straight. Why not hire more gay and lesbian actors to tell their stories? 
im not saying she should apologize, it’s not a huge deal that she picked this role. It does however speak to another level of subtle homophobia and fake wokeness that casting directors and Hollywood in general maintain.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, sugarspiceandnice said:

I see your point about it being annoying after a while, but tbh this whole broke back mountain type casting is so outdated. 
95% of big Hollywood actors are cis and straight. Why not hire more gay and lesbian actors to tell their stories? 
im not saying she should apologize, it’s not a huge deal that she picked this role. It does however speak to another level of subtle homophobia and fake wokeness that casting directors and Hollywood in general maintain.

A reasonable response :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

I was not expecting that :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

I agree there should be more representation. I guess I wouldn’t like it in reverse, if a gay man like Neil Patrick Harris was criticized for playing a straight man.

oh and Sugar none of those actors are really straight when they meet the casting couch :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: kidding kidding hehe

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, thebritmaster said:

A reasonable response :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

I was not expecting that :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

I agree there should be more representation. I guess I wouldn’t like it in reverse, if a gay man like Neil Patrick Harris was criticized for playing a straight man.

oh and Sugar none of those actors are really straight when they meet the casting couch :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: kidding kidding hehe

Trust me!! I used to get into a lot of fights on exhale back in the day and it’s not worth it to me anymore. I think you’re so spot on about representation.

I agree that I don’t want lgbtq+ actors to be criticized for playing straight characters. It’s actually a fair point to bring up, because we all know homophobes will use that as their counterpoint for reasons to exclude us from accessing good scripts. I think Selena isn’t the first person to do this, nor will she be the last. It is however up to the casting directors to begin this change, the truth is they have the most power. 
there is usually a force bigger behind all these celebrities we cancel

also LMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.