Jump to content

New BreatheHeavy live stream TODAY at 3:30 pm PT

One-click subscribe to our YouTube channel!

Oops, Britney, ITZ and OD Album discussion


MmmDani

Recommended Posts

All the tracks on Britney (2001) feel like they're from two different eras. Slave/Boys/Rock'n'Roll feel really fresh and different (compared to Oops and BOMT). The rest of the tracks are definitely more Oops era than anything new. So I think that she should've postponed Oops, because I think a second album with a similar sound to Oops would be overkill. So she should've released Oops (I think they could've come up with a better title ("Overprotected"?) and released the 12 best tracks from that album as a standard edition (Singles the originals from Oops and Overprotected) in 2001 and then in 2001(late)/2002 rerelease did the album as a 2 disc with the other tracks and INAGNYAW/ Before the Goodbye as the singles (with all the unreleased tracks from Britney and the Dream With In A Dream tour she could have 3 discs) (btw I'm including Intimidated/Right Now (Taste The Victory)/Walk On By/My Only Wish (This Year) (which would probably be another single)). 

Then she could move onto release ITZ with Slave/Boys/MATM/Toxic/Everytime as singles (probably Toxic as lead this time followed by Slave/MATM/Everytime/Boys). The tracklist would be the same (with the additions of Slave/Boys/Rock'n'Roll and ATWK would be there) and she could have a 2 disc deluxe edition (still having like 20-30 unreleased tracks for a rerelease on the 10th Anniversary?). Then she could move onto the Original Doll with My Prerogative/Chaotic/Do Somethin'/Someday/OTYN as singles (Mona Lisa (I don't like it but most people do)/IJB(HMF) as promotional singles prior to release). And obviously she has so many unreleased tracks rumoured to be on the Original Doll that could make up the other tracks. 

I feel like that way each of her albums would've had stronger Lead Singles (and that's what usually sells the album (case in point, Britney (2001) was considered a poor seller looking back at her previous two and I blame that on Slave not charting very well). Actually thinking about it My Prerogative didn't do that well did it? Any way if OD was going to e released they would've probably brought someone in to write a club banger to sell it (after My Prerogative and the other singles didn't  go to no. 1). I just think that that album structure would work better for her albums' sound. Britney just feels too messy with all the different track themes and sounds. 

And title wise I think BOMT should've been the self titled album, the Oops/Britney mashup I would've called Overprotected and ITZ/OD are perfect titles.

And in an ideal world I would've included a USB stick that contained all the Demos/Stems/Remixes/Unreleased Tracks from that album/era.

Thoughts?

 

Link to comment
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rock n Roll on ITZ? :eheeek:

Personally, with the exception of certain tracks on every album her discography from Baby to Blackout is immaculate.

Things were handled very perfectly, her career was molded and took center stage among all her competitors. Had Britney waited and not taken advantage of her popularity, she'd be playing second fiddle to Christina. If you wanted a second album in 2001, that means no Oops. No VMA 2000, no double diamond 1-2 punch, it's not a good idea.

I think that she would have benefited from making Britney a tad more mature, but other than that it's fine. I would move some stuff around (WAYN moving to Baby, BNG to Britney, etc.) but I wouldn't change her career trajectory. There was really nothing wrong with her prime, the issue happened with how they handled Circus and beyond.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, MmmDani said:

So she should've released Oops (I think they could've come up with a better title ("Overprotected"?) and released the 12 best tracks from that album as a standard edition

Yes, it's such bad title I can only imagine how Britney feels at 35 when she have to perform "Oops"
I liked it when I was about 10, so silly 
(but I'm not saying it's bad song, we all enjoy seeing her dancing in red latex, so sentimental ) 

 

14 minutes ago, MmmDani said:

 Then she could move onto the Original Doll with My Prerogative/Chaotic/Do Somethin'/Someday/OTYN as singles (Mona Lisa (I don't like it but most people do)/IJB(HMF) as promotional singles prior to release). And obviously she has so many unreleased tracks rumoured to be on the Original Doll that could make up the other tracks. 

I'd love to see this on Original Doll, it sounds so fresh:
 


 

 

15 minutes ago, MmmDani said:

And in an ideal world I would've included a USB stick that contained all the Demos/Stems/Remixes/Unreleased Tracks from that album/era.

:yesplease: YASS it should be included on every album

Link to comment
1 minute ago, BoyToySoldier said:

Rock n Roll on ITZ? :eheeek:

Personally, with the exception of certain tracks on every album her discography from Baby to Blackout is immaculate.

Things were handled very perfectly, her career was molded and took center stage among all her competitors. Had Britney waited and not taken advantage of her popularity, she'd be playing second fiddle to Christina. If you wanted a second album in 2001, that means no Oops. No VMA 2000, no double diamond 1-2 punch, it's not a good idea.

I think that she would have benefited from making Britney a tad more mature, but other than that it's fine. I would move some stuff around (WAYN moving to Baby, BNG to Britney, etc.) but I wouldn't change her career trajectory. There was really nothing wrong with her prime, the issue happened with how they handled Circus and beyond.

The singles would still come out in 2000 but the full album would wait until 2001 

Link to comment

The only thing I would change is Crossroads being separate from Britney.

I think both would have been just as strong separate. 

The Britney singles didn't do well because of radio ban and the push for selling albums.

Im so annoyed when ppl say her older albums weren't mature. They are actually her most mature albums. ITZ is also very mature. BO and past that are her least mature albums. Exception of certain songs. 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

The only thing I would change is Crossroads being separate from Britney.

I think both would have been just as strong separate. 

The Britney singles didn't do well because of radio ban and the push for selling albums.

Im so annoyed when ppl say her older albums weren't mature. They are actually her most mature albums. ITZ is also very mature. BO and past that are her least mature albums. Exception of certain songs. 

No one said that they weren't mature (ITZ sure as hell is) but Britney (2001) didn't know whether it was a ****/cool dance album or a repeat of Oops

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, MmmDani said:

The singles would still come out in 2000 but the full album would wait until 2001 

That's not a good idea. Teen pop was on it's way out by 2001. The industry was shifting to a more urban leaning sound with the rise of JLO, Ashanti, etc. JIVE also barely released physical singles for her because she was an album seller. By releasing the singles in 2000 and album a year later in 2001, you would be slicing her overall album sales in half, because why buy the album when I already own all the singles? This is why Slave was so important. Had she done another Baby/Oops path, she would have been done and Christina would have taken over in 2002. Even the other teen acts like NSYNC were already doing the more urban route in 2001 like the Girlfriend Remix with Nelly, Britney would have been left behind instead of being right on the cusp to take advantage of the shifting trend.

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, MmmDani said:

No one said that they weren't mature (ITZ sure as hell is) but Britney (2001) didn't know whether it was a ****/cool dance album or a repeat of Oops

It's a very common comment in this place. How her older work is childish but it maybe dated sounding but her old lyrics are her most mature relatable music. 

Oops was a repeat of BOMT. Some songs are still bubblegum pop on Britney but I think they were looking at it as a transition album. Going for a new crowd with Boys and Slave but still have a back up (keeping the old sound) and favs for the fans with Overprotected, Bombastic etc 

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Spearsfan said:

It's a very common comment in this place. How her older work is childish but it maybe dated sounding but her old lyrics are her most mature relatable music. 

Oops was a repeat of BOMT. Some songs are still bubblegum pop on Britney but I think they were looking at it as a transition album. Going for a new crowd with Boys and Slave but still have a back up (keeping the old sound) and favs for the fans with Overprotected, Bombastic etc 

But Slave and Boys do not transition well at all with things like anticipating sprinkled in between. They should've selected a direction to go in rather than compiling a mixture with a messy order

Link to comment
Just now, MmmDani said:

But Slave and Boys do not transition well at all with things like anticipating sprinkled in between. They should've selected a direction to go in rather than compiling a mixture with a messy order

This I definitely agree with you on. Britney should have been a more mature sound, sprinkled with a select few of the teen pop songs slightly reworked to be more urban leaning (Overprotected (Darkchild Remix).

Link to comment
Just now, MmmDani said:

But Slave and Boys do not transition well at all with things like anticipating sprinkled in between. They should've selected a direction to go in rather than compiling a mixture with a messy order

Britney is my fav era so it didn't bother me in the slightest nor did I think it sounded off. 

Honestly Im upset there wasn't two albums but it makes sense careerwise. Tbh

A little bit of everything for ppl. 

I love concept albums but mixture is also good thrown in once in a while.

Link to comment

Just because the Britney album has a lot of different sounds and content, doesn't mean it would make sense to mix it up with two completely different albums. I think the contrasting sounds of the album just perfectly captures Britney's maturity and mentality during that time, I am close to the age Britney was during that time and I have to say I connect with this album  and a lot of the songs more than any other album at this point in time. 

Britney is an amazing transitional album and deserves a bit more respect among the fanbase. The sound is unique to that album and the songs would never sound suitable on ITZ or Oops!. It's one of Britney's most important albums when it comes to her legacy and it ties together her discogaphy as much as any of her other albums do (barring BJ). 

Link to comment

I don't know how "Britney" fit into the music landscape at the time but I def feel like it was unnecessary at least in terms of expecting more growth from her. The album is basically Oops just with a few *** songs slapped ontop to sell it and perhaps test the waters for a more urban sound. Also, Britney is SO inconsistent in terms of themes. You have Slave, a song about wanting to be seen as mature but then a few tracks later you get I'm Not a Girl. The album either shouldn't have happened or should have been seperate from crossroads. After two albums of Max Martin, a third one was TOO much. It is definitely her weakest album both in terms of growth and in terms of consistency. :divaney:

Link to comment
46 minutes ago, MmmDani said:

No one said that they weren't mature (ITZ sure as hell is) but Britney (2001) didn't know whether it was a ****/cool dance album or a repeat of Oops

She was in between, at that time she wasn't a girl and not a woman either!  :tehe: problem with decision making? :thinkney:

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block