Britney Explains The Back Walkover Misstep At Apple Music Festival In New BBC Radio 1 Interview

Jordan Miller

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37489913

"It was all great fun but, without the elaborate set pieces of her Vegas production, Spears' shortcomings were left exposed.

Her vocals rarely seemed to be coming from the microphone, while her dancing lacked attitude and bite.

The choreography was over-reliant on hand gestures; and Spears showed a tendency to slip in and out of time, like a clockwork doll whose mechanism had worn out.

Frustratingly, Spears showed glimpses of her former glories - pulling off a series of impressive lifts, as well as a punchy dance breakdown during Womanizer - but the routines more often felt like they were stuck in the rehearsal room."

:idkney:

2 minutes ago, Stifler's Mom said:

I agree with everything, besides the "lacked attitude and bite" thing. 

I agree with it. How can you make hand gestures look fierce? They're so wishy-washy and even when she was dancing a bit more, it just looks so stiff. I don't understand why she can't dance anymore :embarrassney: 

She doesn't sing and she can no longer dance, what's left? :otears:

That's a really harsh review, but I understand it.

She didn't sing a note.

There were times she was out of sync.

You could see the places where they adjusted the routine to fit the stage she clearly forgot and had to be pulled around by her dancers a bit.

I loved it, got a huge new appreciation for the show. Work *****, Gimme More, Womanizer break, Baby/Oops, MATM, BTI, Slave, Freakshow, BOM/TOMH are all awesome performances (and I'm even starting to like Stronger?!). DYWCO and MM aren't new single worthy VMA performance worthy, but as part of a bigger piece they are very decent routines.

It's just a pity there are some really messy ones in between. It wouldn't even take a lot of effort to tighten up, do the BBMA choreo for Toxic, give Boys a breakdown, redo Crazy/TTWE.

The review is obviously by a non-fan, but there is truth in it. Brit's been doing this show for 3 years, it really should have no flaws at this stage. I think with Britney there is a different standard, in the context of her career she is definitely the best she's been since ITZ so it's about hoping she puts in the work to get to 100% or just being happy that she's back to being comfortable and happy onstage.

10 minutes ago, saicis said:

"It was all great fun but, without the elaborate set pieces of her Vegas production, Spears' shortcomings were left exposed.

Her vocals rarely seemed to be coming from the microphone, while her dancing lacked attitude and bite.

The choreography was over-reliant on hand gestures; and Spears showed a tendency to slip in and out of time, like a clockwork doll whose mechanism had worn out.

Frustratingly, Spears showed glimpses of her former glories - pulling off a series of impressive lifts, as well as a punchy dance breakdown during Womanizer - but the routines more often felt like they were stuck in the rehearsal room."

Truth tea!:wannadie:

Just now, Hypnotherapy said:

She didn't sing a note.

You could see the places where they adjusted the routine to fit the stage she clearly forgot and had to be pulled around by her dancers a bit.

I loved it, got a huge new appreciation for the show. Work *****, Gimme More, Womanizer break, Baby/Oops, MATM, BTI, Slave, Freakshow, BOM/TOMH are all awesome performances (and I'm even starting I like Stronger?!). DYWCO and MM aren't new single worthy VMA performance worthy, but as part of a bigger piece they are very decent routines.

It's just a pity there are some really messy ones in between. It wouldn't even take a lot of effort to tighten up, do the BBMA choreo for Toxic, give Boys a breakdown, redo Crazy/TTWE.

The review is obviously by a non-fan, but their is truth in it. Brit's been doing this show for 3 years, it really should have no flaws at this stage. I think with Britney there is a different standard, in the context of her career she is definitely ge best she's been since ITZ so it's about hoping she puts in the work to get to 100% or just being happy that she's back to being comfortable and happy onstage.

I don't think it was harsh at all. They even said it was fun. It was completely fair if you ask me. They didn't bash and they made an effort to point out the positives.

They told the truth.

Just now, saicis said:

I don't think it was harsh at all. They even said it was fun. It was completely fair if you ask me. They didn't bash and they made an effort to point out the positives.

They told the truth.

I know they did, I agree with them as I said in the post. However I think they're definitely feeding into the whole tragic Britney Spears narrative with 'broken doll' etc she isn't that bad, it's down to a lack of rehearsal, unlike 2007 onwards where she obviously didn't even want to be onstage at times. Just from a wording point of view they're angling for something a bit dramatic.

Did you like last night?

23 minutes ago, saicis said:

tumblr_ndiar3UtO71rd82xho1_250.gif

13 minutes ago, Hypnotherapy said:

She didn't sing a note.

I loved it, got a huge new appreciation for the show. Work *****, Gimme More, Womanizer break, Baby/Oops, MATM, BTI, Slave, Freakshow, BOM/TOMH are all awesome performances (and I'm even starting to like Stronger?!). DYWCO and MM aren't new single worthy VMA performance worthy, but as part of a bigger piece they are very decent routines.

The review is obviously by a non-fan, but there is truth in it. Brit's been doing this show for 3 years, it really should have no flaws at this stage. I think with Britney there is a different standard, in the context of her career she is definitely the best she's been since ITZ so it's about hoping she puts in the work to get to 100% or just being happy that she's back to being comfortable and happy onstage.

WHY IS EVERYONE ON EXHALE POINTING THIS OUT TODAY AND MELTING DOWN ABOUT IT AS IF IT'S A NEW DEVELOPMENT

HAS EVERYONE FORGOTTEN THAT BRITNEY SPEARS LIPSYNCHS

BRITNEY SPEARS DOES NOT SING NOTES

WTF IS HAPPENING, READING THIS FORUM IS LIKE READING YOUTUBE COMMENTS. "GOD, SHE DIDN'T EVEN SING ONE NOTE, WHAT A FAKE." 

IF YOU WANT TO HEAR SOMEONE SING A NOTE, GO JOIN ADELEHEAVY.COM

3 minutes ago, Hypnotherapy said:

I know they did, I agree with them as I said in the post. However I think they're definitely feeding into the whole tragic Britney Spears narrative with 'broken doll' etc she isn't that bad, it's down to a lack of rehearsal, unlike 2007 onwards where she obviously didn't even want to be onstage at times. Just from a wording point of view they're angling for something a bit dramatic.

Did you like last night?

Yeh, I agree with you on that; there's no need to keep mentioning the breakdown.

I didn't like the performance no. I've been really vocal (no pun in tended) about the lip-synching but I've got to the point where she actually angers me watching her moving her mouth to the words and still getting it wrong! 

The dancing doesn't save it as it's all arm movements and silly faces. It's like watching an amateur sometimes. It's incredible to think she's been doing this most of her life and yet can't seem to get it right. I just feel like it's ever gonna get better and she's ruining her reputation as a good performer. I mean, when your die-hard fans are saying it, it might be time to listen? Or not as is always the case... 

1 minute ago, Ambient said:

WHY IS EVERYONE ON EXHALE POINTING THIS OUT TODAY AND MELTING DOWN ABOUT IT AS IF IT'S A NEW DEVELOPMENT

WTF IS HAPPENING, READING THIS FORUM IS LIKE READING YOUTUBE COMMENTS. "GOD, SHE DIDN'T EVEN SING ONE NOTE, WHAT A FAKE." 

Because people have the false hope that she'll grow, get better, try to prove to us why she's on the stage in the first place.

Is it so beyond your imagination to believe that a singer should SING?1

Just because she's known for it doesn't mean she has to keep on doing it. Blame her, not us.

Just now, Ambient said:

lol I don't care, I'm just pointing out that the reviewer didn't lie, and on a review of a gig they do have to mention that.

Yeah I think it's mad she sings NOTHING but I loved the show.

11 minutes ago, Ambient said:

IF YOU WANNA WATCH A DANCE PERFORMANCE, GO WATCH SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE. THEY HAVE EVEN BETTER CHOREO

10 minutes ago, saicis said:

Because people have the false hope that she'll grow, get better, try to prove to us why she's on the stage in the first place.

Is it so beyond your imagination to believe that a singer should SING?1

Just because she's known for it doesn't mean she has to keep on doing it. Blame her, not us.

A quote from the BBC review, maybe take their advice

but, at this point, expecting Spears to sing live is like turning up at Nando's and ordering truffles: The only person you're disappointing is yourself.

Archived