The BJ hate is so exaggerated and unnecessary

Someone Who Knows

15 minutes ago, SomeoneGimmeBritney said:

I don't hate the album but I don't love it either. It has a few good songs on it. The main problem with it is the production. Some of the songs sound like unfinished demos and it feels a bit rushed. I don't think Myah sung all of it though. I just think the vocals are heavily processed and autotuned.

Yea, Myah didn't sing all of it, but she sang way more than she should have. She alternated singing lead w Britney in almost every song

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney Jean always felt like a remix of an EP Britney made. The songs are great and are personal but the mood of the CD is different than what the songs call for. And the fact there was ever a deluxe album when it's barely enough for a standard edition is questionable. Especially when you strip some of the remix feel out. I love it though they do try to have Myah sound like Britney but she doesn't especially when you remove the remix aspects. 

It should be easy (I actually love it but it's a Will i am song on a Britney album), Body ache and TTB should have been on the deluxe if we were to call it a deluxe. 

Now that Fifth Harmony doesn't count their almost an album Better together (Ok it's just around 25 minutes with the Target exclusive) I just wish we could have gotten Britney Jean with some of the remix feel removed and had it just as an EP. Would have worked for a Vegas promo and the actual good music might have been better received by the fans. And the poorer production would have been more acceptable. 

I like Britney Jean, but its production was truly rushed.

About the Myah stuff, what happened is that her vocals are LAYERED with Britney's in some songs (vocal layering is common but it's usually the same singer doing both voices, but we all know the time constraint problems BJ had), but it was poorly mixed. I recall some ppl filtering Body Ache's vocals (the "Myah" part) and Britney was there, just it was poorly mixed you could barely hear her

In any case, Alien, NTIFY and especially Work ***** are my jams to this day, I love them.

With that said, I still think they did completely wrong in rushing BJ in time to Holiday/Vegas. They should've released Work ***** and Perfume as pre-Vegas singles, then release BJ in January 2014 or so. It would've sold more just because the production problems would've been gone and the album would've been better received

The thing with that álbum is the luck of production, myah vocals, and her personal in-put, cause all that talk about being her most personal álbum and wrote every song, i mean, i'm not a kid to believe in everything, but even with all that it's an ok álbum, not perfect, not horrible, just ok, and at the end for a rushed álbum and with a guy who only had his point of view on it, you couldn't ask for too much, it's an álbum that i would live good without, but still people sometimes go a bit too far with

7 hours ago, Alexanda said:

It is not a Britney Album to me.

Just found this :hype:

I don't understand what is this supposed to prove...

Nothing on that video can be seen as proof of Myah singing on it instead of Britney :beynah: 

That video has lead vocals from the album that, in my opinion, sounds like Britney (WB, ISBE, TIG, Passenger acoustic, Now That I Found You) and filtered/leaked background vocals that sound like Myah... But just because she sung the backing vocals, doesn't mean that Britney didn't sing on Britney Jean :dontlike:

7 hours ago, MoodRing said:

Why does everyone find it so hard to let other people have an opinion?

Objectively, Britney Jean was a poor effort for a studio album. It was hyped as something special, including a note (I hope) written by Britney and it came after she'd been heavily criticised during Femme Fatale. The sound is dated, the songs are often unfinished, but we know by now that it WAS just a buzz album to amplify her public presence in the wake of her landing her biggest performance contract ever.

Subjectively, I view Britney Jean as a buzz album not unlike a B-Sides/Rarities/Unreleased songs album. They're never as good as a studio album but you can find some gems in there AND as a fan, something's better than nothing sometimes. You might regret its existence now but many of you would have been BEGGING Britney's team to officially release a record of unfinished tracks if there'd been no studio effort planned between FF and Glory.

Britney Jean gave us the iconic Work *****, which let's be honest, we really would not be happy without. That song gave us the best choreography we'd seen from her in YEARS. I think Perfume and Hold On Tight, as well as Brightest Morning Star are beautiful; I remember lurking on here for the years after Femme Fatale and some of you were so thirsty for just a few personal songs. Alien fits her narrative of isolation perfectly, and the other two ballads on the back end of the album are either about God or her kids. She got in the studio with her sister, finally; are you going to tell me that Britney didn't derive pleasure from that?

What I love about BJ is that my Mum and Dad, who aren't Britney fans in the slightest, heard me play the record in the car (much to their annoyance) and they had to admit they loved Perfume and Brightest Morning Star. They were different for Britney after a dance-heavy album. The personal angle may have been mis-sold, but don't tell me that song wasn't refreshing to hear from Britney at the time.

It was a massive mistake to let Will.i.am produce, as he's terrible in large doses. His input will forever be remembered as a poor choice, but let's not forget that this was effectively the trade-off for Scream & Shout, the song that gave Britney a massive boost from the GP. UK fans know what a joy it was to have Britney back at the Number One chart spot after eight years (since Everytime), where people criticised her for being crazy, and all of a sudden people are shouting 'Britney *****' in the clubs. 

I can PLAY Body Ache while we're drinking before a night out at University and people love the drop. Till It's Gone gets a good response too. 

Should you really defend BJ as a good album? Perhaps not, as the evidence is clear that it was very misguided. It's a bit of her stain on her stellar discography when she's expected to push boundaries and do more, but there IS good amongst the bad. Don't act like it's a 1/10 album when it really, really isn't. I'd give it 6 or 7, an average score, because as a whole package, in my opinion, that's what I think it is. I respect some people hate it, I respect some people love it.

And none of my friends even KNOW about the Myah thing. It's a controversy that exists within the fanbase only. Does that give it merit? Maybe if you're offended that you supported Britney and the record you got back wasn't a reciprocation of your efforts. But it is what it is.

Amazing post. I also wish Britney Jean was released as an EP as like a special gift to the fans/to hype vegas rather than it being marketed as a full album. 

I actually defended BJ tooth and nail, but with time I realized that most people on here were right and that the album wasn't that great. Less than great actually, after hearing 'Glory' I can now say that BJ was a bad album. It's not the worst though, of course. 

WB and Perfume are great songs and are gems among her discography. I also like 'Don't Cry' and BMS. 

Almost everything else sounds unfinished or dated upon arrival. Then there is some Myah as well, which isn't as much as most people make it out to be, but still enough to be unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, TheAllu said:

I don't understand what is this supposed to prove...

Nothing on that video can be seen as proof of Myah singing on it instead of Britney :beynah: 

That video has lead vocals from the album that, in my opinion, sounds like Britney (WB, ISBE, TIG, Passenger acoustic, Now That I Found You) and filtered/leaked background vocals that sound like Myah... But just because she sung the backing vocals, doesn't mean that Britney didn't sing on Britney Jean :dontlike:

I used BJ back in the day, because i was thirsty for Brirneymusic, i'm not gonna lie. But i noticed that the Passenger Accoustic Remix had different vocals, that just sound different, like Britneys voice.

01:20

Britney did vocals on BJ, but how much? Is the question.

I agree. The only reason they hate it is because of Myah Marie, but I can get past that because Britney is definitely the main part of it. This thread kind of made my day to see that some one else feels this way.

Glory is still 10x better tho, but that's besides the point. :queenflopga:

Brenda Juanita is the album she should be ashamed of. Her discography would be immaculate without it. It sounds more outdated than Femme Fatale. Releasing an album which was THAT BAD after FF which was REALLY GOOD is embarassing for an A-list artist.

16 hours ago, glorytobritney said:

It's easily her worst album to date. The material is weak, the production is awful, and Britney herself doesn't even contribute much to it, as that Myah ***** can be heard throughout. It's terrible album and a slap to the face for any real Britney fan. Anyone who feels otherwise should be ashamed tbh :dontlike:

:reductive:

Archived