Critical analysis: Why is radio not supporting Make Me?

Chico101

I have a question for you critical thinkers out there. Why isn't radio supporting Make Me?

It is a fantastic song. It sounds wonderful in the club (I've heard it play every weekend for the past 3 weeks).

It has a male featured rapper who is currently hot.

I'm lost as to why it hasn't taken off yet. It  has all the elements of a hit!

Is Britney being unofficially "blacklisted"?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney is 34 - that's older than Rihanna, Ariana Grande, Adele, Meghan Trainor, Katy Perry, Selena Gomez and most other females on the charts at the moment. Only Sia (40) manages to overcome the ageism. Men don't seem to suffer from this ageism as much. Madonna is 57 and she got pretty much blacklisted. 

Also, Britney is a Vegas act now so "retired" in the eyes of many. And she doesn't promote much - although she's doing more promo this era than we had in the last. 

1 minute ago, David Rose said:

not twisting anything, presenting facts. streaming is still weak and sales are still very weak. radio is still top 20.

She's 21 now and had been dropping consistently for a while, RCA had to send them letter to re-consider before they drop it

Even RCA acknolwedged that they SHOULD till play it because it's in the top 30 of shazam, has good streams and good sales still. It's not mindblowing sales obviously I know that, but it's at the least 20-25k a wee, to keep it in the running before radio drives up its sales and promo too. 

Just now, PraiseQueenBrit said:

She's 21 now and had been dropping consistently for a while, RCA had to send them letter to re-consider before they drop it

Even RCA acknolwedged that they SHOULD till play it because it's in the top 30 of shazam, has good streams and good sales still. It's not mindblowing sales obviously I know that, but it's at the least 20-25k a wee, to keep it in the running before radio drives up its sales and promo too. 

its been dropping for a bit, but not huge drops...slow, steady drops. and even with those drops, its still higher on radio than it is on digital songs and streaming. thats all I'm saying, and its true.

Guest I Think I'm Ready Now
9 minutes ago, PraiseQueenBrit said:

Sales and streaming have gone up, radio support has gone down so don't twist it

No wonder why, I'm sure no one is requesting the song anymore 

1 minute ago, David Rose said:

its been dropping for a bit, but not huge drops...slow, steady drops. and even with those drops, its still higher on radio than it is on digital songs and streaming. thats all I'm saying, and its true.

of course it's higher chart position wise, that doesn't mean anything lmfao, the radio charts don't fluctuate that fast. I do admire it's strength on radio for being so consistently stable but still sis. 

2 minutes ago, I Think I'm Ready Now said:

No wonder why, I'm sure no one is requesting the song anymore 

Cuz it's been 5 weeks without a single performance and Britney can't afford to do that in 2016

4 minutes ago, PraiseQueenBrit said:

of course it's higher chart position wise, that doesn't mean anything lmfao, the radio charts don't fluctuate that fast. I do admire it's strength on radio for being so consistently stable but still sis. 

how does it not mean anything? the OP asked why the radio isn't supporting it, and my answer was radio is supporting it more than its being supported in streams/digital sales. if radio went by its performance in other platforms, it wouldn't be a top 20 radio song and it would have been completely dead a while ago. stop trying to take a true statement and twist it around.

Just now, HotAsIce.ve said:

They still support Britney. The BIGGEST radio stations in the US: Z100 & KIIS FM are still playing the song. But if the song is not on the Top 50 on Spotify and not on Top 20 on iTunes/Apple Music what you can spect? 

Exactly. radio is the only thing keeping it alive, frankly.

8 minutes ago, David Rose said:

how does it not mean anything? the OP asked why the radio isn't supporting it, and my answer was radio is supporting it more than its being supported in streams/digital sales. if radio went by its performance in other platforms, it wouldn't be a top 20 radio song and it would have been completely dead a while ago. stop trying to take a true statement and twist it around.

:beysip: okay sis, I ain't fighting no more with this, it's not that serious

6 minutes ago, Chico101 said:

Yeah but I feel like that at this point the song should be at least top 10 by now. 

I love Make Me but you're very disslusional if you think that Make Me will be Top 10 on Radios when the song is out of the Top 50 on Spotify. I'm hopping the streams numbers will be better after the VMAs and Carpool, that can push the song in the radios. 

They play what's popular and Britney isn't as popular with the general public as she used to be. Most of her fans are adults with jobs and kids now that don't sit around and request/buy/stream music as much as the younger generation. She's becoming a novelty and I think radio has actually done a decent job of playing the song all things considered. I still hear it at least once a day if not more when I'm driving to/from work or whatnot. I do wish it took off better but it's not 2000 anymore :crying1: At least we still have VMAs that might drive it up the charts a little.

Just now, HotAsIce.ve said:

I love Make Me but you're very disslusional if you think that Make Me will be Top 10 on Radios when the song is out of the Top 50 on Spotify. I'm hopping the streams numbers will be better after the VMAs and Carpool, that can push the song in the radios. 

So is that Spotify influences Radio? How is that possible?

I thought Radio influences Spotify. I hear a song on the radio first and then I add it to my playlist on Spotify...

Archived