RCA owns the "original" video, not the director

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Copyright laws are complicated. It really depends on the agreement they had at the beginning.

Usually, a director will always get some rights on how his work is used, and can withdraw from the agreement, specifically if he thinks his work is being butchered (moral rights).

6 minutes ago, Don't Keep Me Waiting said:

I feel like some people think LaChapelle owns the rights to the video. He doesn't. The label owns the video and they can do whatever they want with it. If they did release it, it would only be to shut the fans up and prove to them how bad it is. However, doing that would also make LaChapelle look bad.

Show me his comtract with RCA and I will believe you:drinky:

8 minutes ago, Don't Keep Me Waiting said:

I feel like some people think LaChapelle owns the rights to the video. He doesn't. The label owns the video and they can do whatever they want with it. If they did release it, it would only be to shut the fans up and prove to them how bad it is. However, doing that would also make LaChapelle look bad.

but we almost watched the whole video and its 10 times better than the one we got :xcuseme:

9 minutes ago, If U Seek Me said:

Copyright laws are complicated. It really depends on the agreement they had at the beginning.

Usually, a director will always get some rights on how his work is used, and can withdraw from the agreement, specifically if he thinks his work his being butchered (moral rights).

Yeah things are not as cut and dry as everyone on here thinks they are 

Again we keep going back in circles. All we are relying on is speculation and rumors. Can't we all agree that this was obviously a messy situation during filming?

Now we know the bulldozer scene with Britney screaming was real and not part of the video. I even thought maybe it was part of the video. But she's calling somebody a ******* ******* in it LOL probably David.Then we were also hearing rumors that David wanted to take his name off it.

I think that everybody had to be on the same boat and since they weren't we got what we got. I definitely don't believe there's only one person to blame in the situation

1 minute ago, YouFoundAmy said:

Again we keep going back in circles. All we are relying on is speculation and rumors. Can't we all agree that this was obviously a messy situation during filming?

Now know the bulldozer scene with Britney screaming was real and not part of the video. I even thought maybe it was part of the video. But she's calling somebody a ******* ******* in it LOL probably David.Then we were also hearing rumors that David wanted to take his name off it.

I think that everybody had to be on the same boat and since they weren't we got what we got. I definitely don't believe there's only one person to blame in the situation

This, thank you!

People who think that LaChapelle owns it are wrong.

if I'm building a PC for someone, and they buy all the bits and pay me for doing it then it's theirs. I can't then take it and not give it back if they decide to change something about it. It's stealing

Archived