Why do certain “fans” say Britney didn’t write her memoir?

I understand that Britney collaborated with a ghostwriter to materialize her memoir, which isn’t uncommon when creating a book, but I’ve seen a few people completely discredit her input, as if she had absolutely no involvement. Do they realize how tough it must’ve been for her to discuss her past, & her traumas? She had no obligation to share her story, but chose to reveal her vulnerabilities with the world.

It’s not always a simple task to be an open book with just one person, let alone millions of others — & she’s only human, so she likely required some guidance in polishing the writing, to properly get her points across. Regardless, I greatly admire her for being bravely personal, & her memoir serves as a testament to her strength, & resilience.

I think The Woman In Me was a magnificent read, & I’m not surprised it topped the New York Times best sellers list, during its first week of release. Plus, we know it earned her over a dozen millions, for simply speaking her truth. Pretty legendary, if you ask me. So, to those who imply that she didn’t partake in her memoir’s development, I’d like to see you try & write, or even sell just one book.

spacer.png

Share your thoughts, if you’d like.

• Love 5

I mean can you blame them? :nysassy_miss_ny_ms_new_york_tiffany_pollard_cigarette_smoke_nod:

For me, with Britney, when it comes of doing creative things, it’s difficult to truly believe or understand that she’s doing something 100% from 2008- nowadays) 

for example britney 👖, and more things. 

BUT, I truly think she wrote “TWIM” but for sure someone in the writing industry helped her 

Edited by Imnotcrazy
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Because she didn’t, or had minimal input at best.

I’m a stan since her debut and love watching, reading her interviews and articles. It really doesn’t seem like Britney’s words but the several ghostwriters, everything in it can be traced back to articles, interviews or viral Stan Twitter posts with some of Lansky’s and Cade’s biases added in.

Some parts were taken almost word for word from her old magazine interviews. There’s also definitely things in it that are inaccurate or completely untrue. They even got easy things like her influences wrong…

Britney later apologized for some parts of the book on IG, and the writers said it had to be rewritten multiple times because it didn’t sound ‘Britney’ enough which is strange if she was that involved..

Also, again no shade but I don’t think current Britney cared enough to truly be involved. Maybe some small contributions but that's it.

It doesn’t make someone less of a fan to do their own research and question it and everything else going on right now. Part of caring for someone is being honest and not delusional with them, which some stans have a hard time doing :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Whoever described it as The Cade In Me is accurate.

• Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

I don’t think Britney sat down and wrote the actual book. I think she verbally spoke about her experiences and the ghostwriter typed as she talked. You can instantly tell in the book where Britney’s contributions end and the ghostwriter’s begin. Her input sounds a lot like her Instagram captions - nonsensical and childish, while the ghostwriter’s additions sound a lot more polished. 

Edited by BlueFyre3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, BlueFyre3 said:

I don’t think Britney sat down and wrote the actual book. I think she verbally spoke about her experiences and the ghostwriter typed as she talked. You can instantly tell in the book where Britney’s contributions end and the ghostwriter’s begin. Her input sounds a lot like her Instagram captions - nonsensical and childish, while the ghostwriter’s additions sound a lot more polished. 

Yes I was just about to say this! I’m sure Britney spoke to a ghostwriter about the events in the book because certain parts do correlate with what she says on Instagram and just her wit.

• Love 2

Because after following her for 25 years, we have a good idea about what her "voice" sounds like and we know that the writing style in the book is NOT her. It couldn't be more evident.

Did she inspire it, yes? She probably told stories to writers who then put it into a book format. Nothing wrong with it, but let's not pretend that it was all her.

It's the same thing with her lip-singing. We don't have to crucify her for it, but let's also not pretend that the girl doesn't sing live. Same thing.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, DoYouDare? said:

I understand some of these pov’s, but some of you guys are in fact discrediting the potential fact that her own writing must’ve served as foundation for the book. Some of you guys have a tendency to undermine her abilities, in my opinion.

Agree

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DoYouDare? said:

I understand that Britney collaborated with a ghostwriter to materialize her memoir, which isn’t uncommon when creating a book, but I’ve seen a few people completely discredit her input, as if she had absolutely no involvement. Do they realize how tough it must’ve been for her to discuss her past, & her traumas? She had no obligation to share her story, but chose to reveal her vulnerabilities with the world.

It’s not always a simple task to be an open book with just one person, let alone millions of others — & she’s only human, so she likely required some guidance in polishing the writing, to properly get her points across. Regardless, I greatly admire her for being bravely personal, & her memoir serves as a testament to her strength, & resilience.

I think The Woman In Me was a magnificent read, & I’m not surprised it topped the New York Times best sellers list, during its first week of release. Plus, we know it earned her over a dozen millions, for simply speaking her truth. Pretty legendary, if you ask me. So, to those who imply that she didn’t partake in her memoir’s development, I’d like to see you try & write, or even sell just one book.

spacer.png

Share your thoughts, if you’d like.

What I find interesting (kind of irritating actually), is that you try to justify why she may not have written the book, while also asking why people think she didn't write it.

"Do they realize how tough it must’ve been for her to discuss her past, & her traumas? She had no obligation to share her story, but chose to reveal her vulnerabilities with the world."

And what's your point? You're right, she had no obligation to do it, but she CHOSE to do it which by default opens herself up for criticism. Like okay, good for her for putting her heart out there for us, but if it sucks or if people can tell she didn't write it, oh well. It is what it is.

Being vulnerable doesn't give you immunity and frankly, it's a lame excuse.

Reminds me of people on those talent shows who get sympathy votes because of their sob stories.

"So, to those who imply that she didn’t partake in her memoir’s development, I’d like to see you try & write, or even sell just one book."

So by your definition, neither of us (including you) can have an opinion on something we are not professionals at, which is dumb. Didn't you post this?

“He About to Lose Me” The beat & verses are good, but her voice sounds rough during the pre-chorus, & the actual chorus just sucks. However, the climax is sort of good, even though her vocals aren’t. Yet, I somehow listen to this song at times, even though I don’t deem it worthy of being released, or a part of her catalog.

So by your approach, I'll say this: I'd like to see you try and write or produce a song.

Girl bye...

Edited by Gypsy Woman
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, DoYouDare? said:

I understand some of these pov’s, but some of you guys are in fact discrediting the potential fact that her own writing must’ve served as foundation for the book. Some of you guys have a tendency to undermine her abilities, in my opinion.

Undermine her at every chance they get. It's gross and disappointing from so called fans.  

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Gypsy Woman said:

What I find interesting (kind of irritating actually), is that you try to justify why she may not have written the book, while also asking why people think she didn't write it.

"Do they realize how tough it must’ve been for her to discuss her past, & her traumas? She had no obligation to share her story, but chose to reveal her vulnerabilities with the world."

And what's your point? You're right, she had no obligation to do it, but she CHOSE to do it which by default opens herself up for criticism. Like okay, good for her for putting her heart out there for us, but if it sucks or if people can tell she didn't write it, oh well. It is what it is.

Being vulnerable doesn't give you immunity and frankly, it's a lame excuse.

Reminds me of people on those talent shows who get sympathy votes because of their sob stories.

"So, to those who imply that she didn’t partake in her memoir’s development, I’d like to see you try & write, or even sell just one book."

So by your definition, neither of us (including you) can have an opinion on something we are not professionals at, which is dumb. Didn't you post this?

“He About to Lose Me” The beat & verses are good, but her voice sounds rough during the pre-chorus, & the actual chorus just sucks. However, the climax is sort of good, even though her vocals aren’t. Yet, I somehow listen to this song at times, even though I don’t deem it worthy of being released, or a part of her catalog.

So by your approach, I'll say this: I'd like to see you try and write or produce a song.

Girl bye...

With all due respect, you’re trying to use my quick & honest opinion over a song of hers to validate your own perspective — which isn’t very reasonable, & quite selfish, if you ask me.

Edited by DoYouDare?

Whoever wrote that book, they lied about the fact she sang every word during her residency in Las Vegas. This is something very easy to disprove since every single concert is on YouTube or Instagram somewhere. Still, they chose to not only avoid the lipsync topic in general but, once again, to lie about it, in her alleged tell-all autobiography.

If they didn't care about lying about something so obvious (and, arguably, important as she's a singer), I can expect everything.

a lot of the book felt very “britney” to me, especially the beginning but as it went on, the ghostwriter started to show. most, if not all, celebrity books are written by a ghostwriter so it was exactly what i expected.

i need a second part though, a lottt of things were left out or watered down. she said she was working on it but at this point i don’t think we’ll get it anytime soon. a girl can dream :clownery_makeup_meme:

• Love 2

She definitely wrote it and she was transparent about using ghostwriters in the book and on her Instagram while she was writing it. 

But you see, posters here prefer conspiracy theories and lies instead. And the site’s owner allows it because this site is dying and he has to squeeze every drop of Britney’s fame… even if it means letting supposed “fans” rip her apart like they did in 2007. You would think people who appeared in the documentaries that exposed how bad this was for Britney wouldn’t do that, but people may not be that smart or empathetic. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BlueFyre3 said:

Agreed, and some parts of the book are clearly regurgitated news headlines just summarizing parts of her life. No personal stories or details included.

58 minutes ago, blackingouthenegativity said:

She definitely wrote it and she was transparent about using ghostwriters in the book and on her Instagram while she was writing it. 

But you see, posters here prefer conspiracy theories and lies instead. And the site’s owner allows it because this site is dying and he has to squeeze every drop of Britney’s fame… even if it means letting supposed “fans” rip her apart like they did in 2007. You would think people who appeared in the documentaries that exposed how bad this was for Britney wouldn’t do that, but people may not be that smart or empathetic. 

I agree, & I’m certain she had a bigger role than some people may believe. Thank you for your kind comment, I really appreciate it.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.