Carrie Underwood set to replace Katy Perry on next season of American Idol

Country music superstar Carrie Underwood is returning to the show that set her career in motion nearly two decades ago. The multi-Grammy-winning country singer will replace Katy Perry as the new judge of American Idol, the long-running singing competition announced Thursday morning (August 1).

“Carrie Underwood is the first American Idol alum ever to join the judging panel. Her global superstar status as the most successful Idol winner to date makes her a perfect fit for the show,” said Megan Wolflick, Idol showrunner and executive producer in a statement. “She embodies the true spirit of Idol as she herself is the definition of the Cinderella story. Our future hopefuls will have the chance to receive advice from someone who has walked in their exact footsteps every step of the way. Carrie has always been a strong supporter of Idol, and I’m thrilled for her to be reunited with our Idol Family.”

Underwood was the winner of American Idol‘s fourth season in 2005 and has gone on to release nine studio albums, win entertainer of the year at the Academy of Country Music Awards, and take home eight Grammys. She’s also landed 16 No. 1 hits on Billboard‘s Country Airplay chart.

The Oklahoma native has been involved with Idol over the years in various capacities, including returning as a mentor in season 20 to offer advice and coaching to the season’s top five finalists.

Underwood is also set to extend her Las Vegas residency through 2025 and just revealed an upcoming collaboration with Papa Roach on a new version of the band’s song “Leave a Light On (Talk Away the Dark).” On Monday night, Underwood performed in Nashville as part of a tribute concert taping honoring the late country music singer-songwriter Toby Keith.

Perry, who had spent seven seasons as a judge on the show alongside Lionel Richie and Luke Bryan since its move from original home Fox to ABC in 2018, revealed her exit from American Idol earlier this year. Underwood will take her place alongside Richie and Bryan when season 8 kicks off in spring 2025 on ABC and Hulu, for the show’s 23rd over-all season. Auditions for the upcoming season will kick off on Aug. 12 with the return of “Idol Across America,” the live virtual talent search that will take place in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.

WWW.BILLBOARD.COM

Former 'American Idol' winner Carrie Underwood will become a judge on 'American Idol,' replacing Katy Perry.

Another season? How Is this possible? This show still has good ratings overthere? I mean after Adam Lambert/ Katherine McPhee no one was relevant anymore. And ITS beeen 15 YEARS lol. Oh..i remember david archuletta too...so cute....

Edited by ToxicMadness
  • Like 1
  • Super Mods
1 hour ago, ToxicMadness said:

Another season? How Is this possible? This show still has good ratings overthere? I mean after Adam Lambert/ Katherine McPhee no one was relevant anymore. And ITS beeen 15 YEARS lol. Oh..i remember david archuletta too...so cute....

I know, right?

I'm really surprised this show is still on, I thought The Voice stole its thunder.

7 hours ago, Fita said:

Her global superstar status as the most successful Idol winner to date makes her a perfect fit for the show,” said Megan Wolflick, Idol showrunner and executive producer in a statement.

And here I thought Kelly was the most successful 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.