Rolling Stone interview (2000)

I’ve been reading some of britney’s old magazine interviews and I find the Rolling Stone one (2000) so bittersweet. It’s endearing how she cared for her work and her family but even then people could tell she was lonely and really overworked:( she’s always lacked a good support system and people who truly cared for her. She was so young and naive at the peak of her career and really needed guidance and the people surrounding her mostly cared for the product not the person. 

This excerpt specifically makes me very sad

It is near the end of the final interview when you ask Spears which of her qualities she’d most like to see portrayed in an article.

“I don’t want to say,” she says. “Why don’t you tell me what you think of me?”

You strike a deal: that she will tell you her ideas if you, in turn, tell her yours.

“OK,” she says, sitting up on her hotel bed. “I’m someone who’s really focused. This isn’t all fun and play.”

She pulls her knees to her chest and rocks.

“The reason why I say that is that in the interview in “People” magazine, when people write back after the article, they wrote the most hurtful things ever,” says Spears. “The interviewer made it seem like all I talked about was Brad Pitt and Ben Affleck, which isn’t true at all. So they wrote all these degrading things. I’m really serious about what I do. And I’m someone who is down-to-earth and comes from a good family. I love my family….”

She stares at the bedspread for a moment.

“OK,” she says. “Your turn.”

You start slowly, saying that you agree with much of what she said — that she is sweet and hardworking and down-to-earth. You also tell her that she seems very lonely.

There is a long pause.

“I think you’re right,” she finally says. “Keep going.”

You tell her that it seems as if part of her wants to be a normal kid, yet being a normal kid has always been boring to her. That she loves where she’s from but doesn’t want to live there, and, together, this makes her feel guilty.

“That’s just right,” says Spears. “I want to be by my family, but I don’t think I can live there. I’m so used to all these things that these other places have to offer, so I would be miserable there.”

Again her voice trails off. You ask her if she’s scared that, by wanting her current life, she’s alienating the people who are closest to her in the world. She musters a smile.

“That’s so right, it’s scary,” she says.

(…)

In a flash Spears is back to work, moving in time with her dancers. When the show finally ends with “…Baby One More Time,” the audience goes wild.

Spears says her thank yous and rushes offstage, straight to the parking facility, where her bus sits idling. She jumps onboard, still sweaty from the perform­ance, and before her fans have even left their seats, Spears is on the road, a police es***t leading the way. Some time during the night, she will be told that she has been asked to both host and perform on the May 13th “Saturday Night Live,” but, for now, Spears is simply in motion. It is a nine-hour drive to Baltimore, where tomorrow, Spears will repeat the events of today almost point by point. She is eighteen years old, and this may be her only moment, so she is working like there’s no tomorrow.

Edited by thesimplelife
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Princessmimi said:

Oh wow I never read this article and wow its pretty sad.

I think the cracks of her picture perfect happy  image were starting to appear here and got worse over time.

That image was never there, we all knew even then she was overworked and even in 98-99 interviews she said similar stuff.

This only lasted for 6 years and tbh If that was me I probably would't have able been able to keep it going for that long.

From 02-04 she was on red bull, caffeine pills (remember the zantrex 3 pill bottle falling off her bag at the airport in 03? that **** makes you restless lol) and probably aderall

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Princessmimi said:

Oh wow I never read this article and wow its pretty sad.

I think the cracks of her picture perfect happy  image were starting to appear here and got worse over time.

it’s a great interview! she even talks about kissing justin even though they weren’t officially dating then 

https://www.ukbritney.tv/2000/05/25/rolling-stone-magazine-the-girl-cant-help-it/

• Love 1

Overall, that was a great article. The Justin parts were cute. She was so smitten.

This got me looking at her other interviews. This one is so cute. 

WWW.UKBRITNEY.TV

UKBritney.TV is the longest-running fan site dedicated to Britney Spears. Features extensive discography...

It talks about the Britney album and they go through it track by track. I don’t think I have ever seen it before. So cool to hear about her songwriting.

Also, the guitar thing is interesting. He really did try his best to make her feel better during the you know what.

Edited by j4j05
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, j4j05 said:

Overall, that was a great article. The Justin parts were cute. She was so smitten.

This got me looking at her other interviews. This one is so cute. 

WWW.UKBRITNEY.TV

UKBritney.TV is the longest-running fan site dedicated to Britney Spears. Features extensive discography...

It talks about the Britney album and they go through it track by track. I don’t think I have ever seen it before. So cool to hear about her songwriting.

Also, the guitar thing is interesting. He really did try his best to make her feel better during the you know what.

thanks for linking this interview!! it’s so cool to see the process behind britney - truly a wonderful album

she was so in love with justin it’s really sweet😭

also the jessica simpson shade Britney Spears Omg GIF by MOODMAN

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.