Charli XCX Calls Out Fans Chanting ‘Taylor Swift Is Dead’ At Her Shows: ‘Please Stop’

Fita

As Variety wrote:

Charli XCX shut down her fans who yelled “Taylor [Swift] is dead!” in Portuguese on Sunday at her PARTYGIRL DJ set at a São Paulo nightclub.

“Can the people who do this please stop. Online or at my shows. It is the opposite of what I want and it disturbs me that anyone would think there is room for this in this community. I will not tolerate it,” Charli wrote on her Instagram story.

Earlier this month, Charli’s fans also attacked Swift when she released a U.K. exclusive digital version of her album “The Tortured Poets Department,” because it was the same week that Charli’s latest album, “Brat” was released. Fans speculate that it blocked Charli’s chance at reaching the top spot on the U.K.’s Official Charts. 

Rumors also starting swirling that the song “Sympathy is a knife” on “Brat” was written about Swift. Charli has hinted before how the song was inspired by an unnamed girl who “taps my insecurities.”

Lyrics from the song read, “Don’t know if it’s real or if I’m spiraling…One voice tells me that they laugh. George says I’m just paranoid…Don’t wanna see her backstage at my boyfriend’s show. Fingers crossed behind my back. I hope they break up quick.”

The reasoning behind this is that Charil is engaged to The 1975’s drummer, George Daniel and Swift used to date their lead singer Matty Healy.

Charli was also an opener alongside Camila Cabello for Swift on her 2018 Reputation Tour, and previously said after that experience, she was done opening for other artists. “I’m really grateful that [Taylor] asked me on that tour. But as an artist, it kind of felt like I was getting up on stage and waving to 5-year-olds,” she said. “I need to just own my own f–king s–t finally.”

However, Charli has never addressed the rumors or commented negatively about Swift following the release of “Brat.”

VARIETY.COM

Charli XCX shut down her fans who yelled "Taylor [Swift] is dead!" in Portuguese on Sunday at her PARTYGIRL DJ set in a São Paulo...

Edited by Fita

Look as a swiftie myself, I do agree her album variants are too much.

HOWEVER and this is a big however...

Streaming numbers of Taylor's album ALONE outcharted Charli XCX's new album. So even without the online variant, she wouldn't have scored that #1 place so the hate towards Taylor really isn't holding up.

They should be mad at themselves for not streaming their faves' album enough......

• Like 1
  • Super Mods

I'm no Swiftie (actually i feel like im too old to be in any fanbase or obsess over any pop diva at this point, im turning 32 in 3 months lol) but I don't see how it's Taylor's fault she didn't reach #1? 

Taylor is simply huge, if one of the variations of her album managed to block you from going #1 than it means you're simply not popular enough as an artist. And that's fine, not everyone needs to be Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Britney Spears, etc. 

There are huge enormous artists, and there are smaller artists. It's the way it should be because they both bring something important to the table. It's how it has always been. 

• Like 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.