Gwen Stefani & Blake Shelton - Purple Irises

Gwen Stefani and her husband just released this heartfelt song which is also very catchy. So I thought I’d share:

The meaning of this song -written by Gwen Stefani herself- is very sweet. During the pandemic she and her husband Blake were hanging out on the ranch a lot, as people were generally isolated from the world, slowed down (as most of us probably felt that way too during those times) and they simply got amazed by those wonderful many purple irises around them, that were planted by someone -who knows- a hunder years ago. So they decided to plant a bigger amount of those around their own house. And they did, it became a personal project during covid. And later on Gwen as she was just scrolling the old photos of her phone, realized that the couch they had when she was a child was also had a pattern of purple irises on a yellow base texture. So this way it merged the past and present together, as well as foreshadowed the future as she was starting to work on this song and showed it to her husband, he immediately fell in love with that. So they finally sang it together. Listen to the lyrics as well! It's very heartfelt, especially thinking about time passing and growing older which basically the song is about. 

I like Gwen, loved her last studio album from 2016, it was catchy and it would be great if she made a return to the scene!

Edited by Chad Hudson
  • Love 1

This is the best song I’m hearing from her since Cool, Sweet Escape and 4ITM!

I love this and feel like it’s Gwen’s return to form. Compared to her latest singles, this one connects. I think it’s due to the fact that it’s 80’s sounding and such a good pop song. Lately she was trying new genres - raggae, rock - and I think 80’s inspired pop is her sweet spot. It also helps that it was co-written by Jack & Coke (Jakob Hazell & Svante Halldin), who are part of Max Martin’s camp.

Excited for what’s to come!

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.