What are your thoughts on The Weeknd's 'The Idol'? Have you watched it?

This show draws abundant inspiration from Britney's life but also pays homage to the influence of other remarkable female artists.

Have you seen it? What are your thoughts on it?

the-idol-ka-1920.jpg

Personally, I thought the show had so much potential, and I really liked the first few episodes. But those gross and unnecessary *** scenes were just too much. The ending made no sense at all.

As for The Weeknd's acting, it was just terrible. After seeing that cringeworthy performance and his Twitter meltdown, I can't look at him or listen to his music the same way anymore. The show overall felt like his sick s*xual fantasy :grimace_judging_judge_squint_ew_gross_red_white_annoyed:

Didn’t see it but hyped it up to everyone I knew until I discreetly disappeared into the dark when people started to talk about how cringe it was. I also stopped associating Britney with it when that happened  it’s a selena Gomez biopic even though it obviously isn’t BYE

1 minute ago, River Red said:

Didn’t see it but hyped it up to everyone I knew until I discreetly disappeared into the dark when people started to talk about how cringe it was. I also stopped associating Britney with it when that happened  it’s a selena Gomez biopic even though it obviously isn’t BYE

I'm screaming oop-ts-madison.gif

• Haha 2

I will watch it but I also wonder if the original conception of the show was filmed? It would be so interesting to see a baby one more time and more feminist outlook on the show 

I would love to see her career evolution. The show had a vibe and fashion similar to In The Zoney but during the Blackout/Circus era

Omg storm I'm scared

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Henry. said:

I would love to see her career evolution. The show had a vibe and fashion similar to In The Zoney but during the Blackout/Circus era

Omg storm I'm scared

Literally it would have been so good. I don’t even know what to say. Such a missed opportunity 

5 minutes ago, River Red said:

It was humiliating and demoralizing to find out the show was bad and that I was lying to my friends that the weeknd and Britney wrote it 

It could have been such a good show tbh, and and they definitely should have re-cast The Weeknd with someone who exudes a dangerously s/xy vibe and can act

Edited by Henry.
1 minute ago, Henry. said:

It could have been such a good show tbh, and they definitely should have re-cast someone hot with a dangerously **** vibe instead of The Weeknd

Literally. But when I told my producer that the weeknd can’t act he was like “you shouldn’t tell someone what they can and can’t do. Imagine if someone said you couldn’t singl BYEEEEEE but HES a Stan of his so

but he also agreed he is a better singer than actor omfg. The shade though bye 

Edited by River Red
  • Haha 1

Literally. But when I told my producer that the weeknd can’t act he was like “you shouldn’t tell someone what they can and can’t do. Imagine if someone said you couldn’t singl BYEEEEEE but HES a Stan of his so

but he also agreed he is a better singer than actor omfg. The shade though bye 

SCREAMING, no but for real it was so cringy :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: These s/x scenes... And his meltdown on Twitter because people were dragging his a/s left and right :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

I saw it, and I gotta say The weeknd's acting scenes were definitely cringey. It just didn't feel cohesive at all. There were moments of interesting cinema like her shooting the music video scene, but that was about it. There's this twist at the end of the show that is supposed to be this big swerve, but i didn't really see anything in the series that warranted that character shift. It does seem like they removed one episode, so the finale felt like I was missing a lot of context.

One giant "meh"

• Love 2

The cinematography and atmosphere are gorgeous - but cannot make up for the lack in storyline and character development. I wanted to like it so much more. It’s also obvious this series majorly suffered due to poor editing. I read somewhere it was cut from 6 to 5 episodes & that is painfully obvious. 

I sensed much potential, but something went wrong. I’m not hating - more bummed out. 

Edited by Danielle1987
19 minutes ago, Martian_M00d said:

I saw it, and I gotta say The weeknd's acting scenes were definitely cringey. It just didn't feel cohesive at all. There were moments of interesting cinema like her shooting the music video scene, but that was about it. There's this twist at the end of the show that is supposed to be this big swerve, but i didn't really see anything in the series that warranted that character shift. It does seem like they removed one episode, so the finale felt like I was missing a lot of context.

One giant "meh"

I did read it went from an original 6 episodes to 5 episodes. And it shows!

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.