Why is 'Believe' One of the Greatest Pop Songs of the 1990s, if not of all time?

I wasn't even born then but the way I know that the world just STOPPED when this song was released. Something about its ethereal, mesmerizing, trancing production paired with Cher's iconic vocals crafts a decadent and memorable euro-house BOP that is just so addictive. Not to mention the fact that the song was game-changing in the face of pop. Autotune was used as an artistic choice here and is still to this day, one of my favorite manners of autotune being used. When you hear it, it just does not surprise you that this song was one of the biggest hits of the late 1990s, a time of optimism, hope, and progress.

Does Exhale's Local 1990s Stan, @Joshyworld have any thoughts that he'd like to share with the class? Exhale DISCUSS

Hx1YSjS.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Screeching at me being known as the resident 1990s stan on Exhale Hx1YSjS.gif

Yes, it's true it's true. Hx1YSjS.gif The 1990s (and the early 2000s) were arguably the greatest period of music of all time, particularly from 1993 all the way through 2004. Hx1YSjS.gif "Believe" is a fantastic song, I remember hearing it as a child and thinking it was truly otherworldly. :wendy_williams_bop_listen_music: In fact, 1998 was probably one of the best years of music ever. You had Lauryn Hill with "The Miseducation of LH" (arguably the best album of all time), Madonna with "Ray of Light" (arguably the best pop album of all time), Janet in the midst of her "The Velvet Rope" era, Shania breaking records with "Come On Over", Brandy with "Never Say Never", the debut of Destiny's Child and of course Britney who had launched her debut single towards the latter of that year which was soon to explode. I can only imagine how exciting and refreshing the musical landscape was then moving closer to the dawn of the millennium. :wendy_williams_bop_listen_music: Record labels were investing big into their artists and not only did music continue to progress with all sorts of new production styles but so did visuals. Let's also not forget that MTV's TRL debuted that year which not only became a cultural phenomenon but prioritized artists to ensure they have high-budget, good quality videos for airplay time which was just as, if not more important than charting on the Billboard Hot 100.

It truly was a musical renaissance and I really feel bad for those born before this era or who didn't get to experience the magic of it all. The world was truly in a state of euphoria at that time. 

As far as "Believe" -- is it my personal favorite song of the 90s? No, but I can't deny its masterpiece and how objectively great of a song it really is. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas: There were just too many amazing and brilliant songs being released in the 90s that I really can't choose one. :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

Edited by Joshyworld
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Joshyworld said:

The 1990s (and the early 2000s) were arguably the greatest period of music of all time, particularly from 1993 all the way through 2004. Hx1YSjS.gif

Besides the 1970s of course, but the diversity and excellence served in this decade is still unmatched :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

In fact, 1998 was probably one of the best years of music ever. You had Lauryn Hill with "The Miseducation of LH" (arguably the best album of all time), Madonna with "Ray of Light" (arguably the best pop album of all time), Janet in the midst of her "The Velvet Rope" era, Shania breaking records with "Come On Over", Brandy with "Never Say Never", the debut of Destiny's Child and of course Britney who had launched her debut single towards the latter of that year which was soon to explode. I can only imagine how exciting and refreshing the musical landscape was then moving closer to the dawn of the millennium. :wendy_williams_bop_listen_music: Record labels were investing big into their artists and not only did music continue to progress with all sorts of new production styles but so did visuals. Let's also not forget that MTV's TRL debuted that year which not only became a cultural phenomenon but prioritized artists to ensure they have high-budget, good quality videos for airplay time which was just as, if not more important than charting on the Billboard Hot 100.

Oh wow OH WOW, I didn't realize how it was such a packed year :shocked_red_keyboard_type_computer: Packed but rich in legendary music :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas: 

As far as "Believe" -- is it my personal favorite song of the 90s? No, but I can't deny its masterpiece and how objectively great of a song it really is. :mimiclap_mariah_clapping_applause_proud_yes_Yas: There were just too many amazing and brilliant songs being released in the 90s that I really can't choose one. :tifftear_miss_ny_new_york_ms_crying_wipe_tears_sad:

It was a moment in time. :shaking_shake_gold_yellow:

Edited by Blackout2006
14 minutes ago, MIKE_INT said:

Timeless classic.

Just a fan fact.

The song was written and recorded already as demo in 1991 with completely different style and shelved up until 1998 till Cher recorded it

This reminds of the situation with that Ace of Base song, 'Don't Turn Around'. It was originally a Tina Turner/Bonnie Tyler song in the early 80s and then remade by Ace of Base in the 90s.

12 minutes ago, Sia said:

This reminds of the situation with that Ace of Base song, 'Don't Turn Around'. It was originally a Tina Turner/Bonnie Tyler song in the early 80s and then remade by Ace of Base in the 90s.

Its different because "Believe" was never released, it was just a demo.

"Dont turn around" is the same scenario like for example "I Will Always Love You, released by Dolly Parton in 1974 but then re-released and made hit by Whitney in 1992

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.