Is anyone else on ADHD medication? What is it like for you?

x.rox

I just started taking a psycho-stimulant for ADHD. I am finding it helps me laser focus on things but it's now hard for me to multitask because I become glued to one thing. I also feel I am more intense and get way too invested in one thing or another. When I type or write texts, I am writing longer-winded messages and I feel at times I could write a book with how fast my little fingers go on this stuff. Anyone else have this experience? 

What is it like for you or can you relate? Have you had any negative side effects? For me, my intensity, which I am finding on Exhale my posts are becoming more intense for example, I consider a bad thing. 

I am on Vyvanse (stimulant) 20mg right now and Atomoxetine (Non stimulant) 60mg. 

I personally wasn’t able to focus on anything, but one thing in particular… I also felt like everyone was ahead of me. Once I got on my medication, I could do multitasking, and felt like I was able to focus more! Maybe it effects others in different ways? I know bipolar is sometimes mistreated as adhd, maybe talk. To your doctor??? Hope this helped!!! 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, BananaAliceLick said:

I personally wasn’t able to focus on anything, but one thing in particular… I also felt like everyone was ahead of me. Once I got on my medication, I could do multitasking, and felt like I was able to focus more! Maybe it effects others in different ways? I know bipolar is sometimes mistreated as adhd, maybe talk. To your doctor??? Hope this helped!!! 

OMG BananaAlice Lick is even better than BananAlice!

• Haha 2

I used to be on Vyvanse and switched to Adderall since my insurance didn't cover Vyvanse. I feel like it brings me to a normal baseline, where things that would normally feel overwhelming become more manageable. 

I definitely know what you mean about feeling more intense and writing longer-winded messages. Sometimes if I supplement at the end of the day to make it through the rest of the afternoon, the thoughts just come pouring out. If you don't like that feeling, try talking to your doctor about lowering your dose. Also, your body may still be adjusting to it. For me, a lot of those effects decreased over time. Good luck!

22 hours ago, britneyluv said:

I used to be on Vyvanse and switched to Adderall since my insurance didn't cover Vyvanse. I feel like it brings me to a normal baseline, where things that would normally feel overwhelming become more manageable. 

I definitely know what you mean about feeling more intense and writing longer-winded messages. Sometimes if I supplement at the end of the day to make it through the rest of the afternoon, the thoughts just come pouring out. If you don't like that feeling, try talking to your doctor about lowering your dose. Also, your body may still be adjusting to it. For me, a lot of those effects decreased over time. Good luck!

Yeah so the “rush” of intense stimulation has stopped since I wrote this. I feel more normal now. Which I’ve read since is normal. Body habituates to it. But I’m only on 30mg of Vyvanse. I want to see if going higher in dose will be better or if this is my sweet spot. Now my problem is that it suppresses appetite during the day which I love (MAKE ME LOSE SOME POUNDS PLSSSS :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:) but at night when it wears off.. I GO CRAZY AND EAT! So I’ve been in this cycle of losing 5lbs in a few days and I’m like yassss and then I get really hungry and gain it all back lol. FML. Bought appetite suppression pills for evenings though. Hopefully it helps… not that I’m using Vyvanse partially to lose weight  :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

16 minutes ago, shya said:

That medication was suggested to me this year, but I'm smarter and I'm out, I know how to multi focus and I had some habits like, I would not be able to not drink my daily coffee + right now I'm back to pre-workout stimulants after more than 5 years without that ****, a pre-workout alone is basically those ADHD stimulants, so I prefer to TRY to go back to my gym my time my inner peace and that type of stimulant instead of Vyvanse or something, at least for now, and since I'm not 22 anymore, I can't handle mix everything anymore, bc with maturity we don't have our fantasy and illusion world anymore, and those medication with a feeling of frustration could be dangerous if you not really a self-centerer person. I know tho that I could totally try to invest myself on that and change habits to adjust to another thing that seems cool, but I'm also in a process of disassociate myself from a 8+years relationship, and you have to do it carefully or you'll lose yourself, we just can't do a full change in a day or two bc we wouldn't recognise ourselves in a month or two and the bad habits would come back worsened. I moderate smoke cigarrettes and I'm trying to quit it and I'm doing it less but you just can't quit smoking and quit a long relationship at the same time, I tried and I was more confused of who am I than ever, I am the type of person that would try to quit bad habits to start loving someone but it is better to do it for myself first, I'm in a middle of changes and impatience would kick in for me so this type of medication I feel would trigger something, even those pre-workouts too that I'm taking rn, but whatever, at least I choose one without too much caffeine :))

I love pre workout haha! I need that sh.it for working out 1000%. I bought some weights and a workout bench so I can get in better shape at home before I go back into the gym since I have zero confidence to walk into one right now. 

For smoking, have you tried the patch? I started the patch a month ago and honestly it’s working so good!!! But it doesn’t work for everyone. I’m on step 1 which is equivalent to 10 cigarettes a day. Then I’ll go down to step 2 later this month which is less nicotine before tapering off. Highly recommend if you haven’t tried it already.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block