Billboard praises and shades Britney: Worst to Best Diamond Albums

popprison

81. Britney Spears. …Baby One More Time (1999, 14x Platinum)

Britney’s chips-half-in debut effort has aged about as well as an album with a Sonny & Cher cover, special guest appearances from Mikey Bassie and Don Phillip, and a climactic slow song called “E-Mail My Heart” could be expected to. But “Crazy” still goes – if not as hard as in its Melissa Joan Hart-approved remix – and we’ll know the aliens come in peace if they make first contact via the title track’s three-note piano hook.

62. Britney Spears, Oops!... I Did It Again (2000, 10x Platinum)

Packs the edge Spears’ debut sorely lacked: the title track establishes that not-that-innocent Britney would be taking over from here, “Don’t Let Me Be the Last to Know” proved her capable of post-puppy-love balladry (rightly enduring as a fan and artist favorite), and even the Stones cover is impressively nervy. Doesn’t last the whole way, unfortunately: Once Lucky accepts her Academy Award, feel free to FF through the rest.

...Baby_One_More_Time_Single.png   9f6bed974e2dad418219d1e1d342a2ca.jpg

Britney_Spears_-_Oops!..._I_Did_It_Again.png

and incase you were wondering who the top 5 are (obviously the Beatles plus somene who recently passed away, no disrespect but these music magazines are so predictable)

5. Nirvana, Nevermind (1991, 10x Platinum)

The most fundamentally surprising inclusion of all these albums -- a quarter-century later, it feels weirder than ever that an album with “Territorial Pissings” and “Breed” on it ended up bending the shape of late-20th century American culture. It just goes to show that pop music really is where the people find it, and sometimes, that’s in the form of a short-fused set of smartly produced, brilliantly written and fearlessly performed punk songs whose urgency taps into something so real among the youth that even the dance clubs have to start rocking it.

4. Michael Jackson, Thriller (1982, 32x Platinum)

Chris Rock has deemed both Purple Rain and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasysuperior to Thriller, the best-selling album in U.S. history, saying that “there’s no ‘Baby Be Mine’” on either of those albums. He’s right that there’s one dud keeping the supernatural brilliance of Thriller from being completely unassailable, but he’s wrong about the song: it’s the corny-even-by-Macca-standards Paul McCartney duet “The Girl Is Mine.” 

3. Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin IV (1971, 23x Platinum)

Eight tracks of boundless melodic creativity and instrumental virtuosity, Led Zeppelin’s ambiguously titled fourth album defines the phrase “classic rock” in perpetuity. Bands simply shouldn’t be able to pull off the time-defying prog-funk of “Four Sticks” and the flower-child acoustic balladry of “Going to California” and the howling future-blues of “When the Levee Breaks”; that they can and do so much more on IV is why Beyoncé is still sampling it 45 years later.

2. The Beatles, Abbey Road (1969, 12x Platinum)

Sgt. Pepper suggested that an album could be more than the sum of its parts, butAbbey Road’s side two moved to make those parts essentially inseparable: Chances are, you’ve never once in your life heard “Carry That Weight” without it coming between “Golden Slumbers” and “The End.” The suite’s majesty represented such an obvious peak in the Beatles’ recording career that Paul McCartney still ends solo concerts with the LP’s closing medley, managing to overshadow an A-side that contains a pair of No. 1 hits, Macca’s greatest Fab Four vocal, and a trance-inducing lust ballad that gets eaten by the Lost smoke monster by song’s end.

1. Prince, Purple Rain (1984, 13x Platinum)

A soundtrack that actually makes for a more coherent cinematic experience than the film it accompanies, Purple Rain is certainly in contention for the most perfect album in rock or pop history, expertly flowing from track to track while delighting, surprising and astounding at each bend. Personal and universal, familiar and challenging, romantic and narcissistic, religious and orgasmic, accessible to all and profoundly weird, Purple Rain rightly remains the cornerstone of Prince’s recorded legacy, almost too obvious in its brilliance to even be worth discussing at length.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/billboard-lists/7526410/diamond-certified-album-riaa-ranked

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Britney M. Carey said:

The list is **** guys. They place Like a Virgin way higher than Mariah's Daydream. Ironically, Music Box was panned by critics in 1993 and now it's hailed more than Mariah's masterpiece Daydream which earned her 6 Grammy nominations

And let's not forget the injustice that was done to her when she did not win any of it. :nothavingit:

1 minute ago, Brian♥Ryan said:

How is that shade? I don't really like her first two albums. They weren't that good. Their ranking makes a lot of sense. Purple Rain & Thriller are my jam though. :carpoolney:

Yeah aside from the singles and maybe a couple album tracks they haven't aged well even half of self titled album. Not that it's shade, they were just very teen pop. ITZ and Blackout however still sound fresh

Just now, DaddySayzee said:

Yeah aside from the singles and maybe a couple album tracks they haven't aged well even half of self titled album. Not that it's shade, they were just very teen pop. ITZ and Blackout however still sound fresh

Agreed I don't play her first two albums. I like to have them in my collection though. They are just not timeless.

Archived