Too soon for 2nd single? The case for MM.

LostInAnImage

Personally, I think given that MM is such a radio friendly track and has just very recently begun receiving actual promo (the effects of which we've all seen reflected by the numerous days it recently ranked as #2 on iTunes), I believe it's far too early to simply let it die and move on to single #2.

In fact, these "slow grower" type songs seem to be the latest trajectory for a lot of big pop radio hits. For example, Sia's "Cheap Thrills" was out for SIX MONTHS before rising from complete obscurity and climbing all the way to #1! Similarly, Ariana Grande's "Into You" debuted way back in May at #83, then FELL OFF the charts entirely the following week. It's been slowly rising ever since, and just last week hit its new peak of #13 (13 weeks after initial release).

Let's not forget, it has only been ONE WEEK since the release of "Glory." As such, I do not believe we should slow down on requests at all for the lead single, but rather increase them at this time.

Thoughts?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, grevan said:

I completely agree. But I hate that a song like Heathens goes top 3 iTunes and is now gaining 300 spins a day, Britney does the same thing and sees no gains. Radio is biased 

I hate that too; with the exception of a few singles (e.g., "3" and the first three FF singles) they clearly have always had some kind of vendetta against playing Britney.  However, I believe if we continue streaming and moving the song up the BB charts, they'll have no choice but to play it! 

Just now, Your Gravity said:

I feel like the ship has sailed with MM....

and they took the wind out of the sail with the music video :saycheese:

Well, I know the music video means a lot to us as a fan base, but I really don't think it ultimately has much impact in terms of its success with the GP/on the radio (currently, that is; music videos were obviously a huge part of Brit's success back in the TRL days).

But I mean, with the exception of a very few songs (e.g., "Wrecking Ball"), I really can't think of many huge pop hits in recent years that have had their impact resultant of an iconic MV. 

Just now, makemeslay said:

Britney is one of the lucky few celebrities left who see a significant result out of doing a little promo, they would be fools to just cut things off now. In fact the album should have been planned for release later if they were releasing Make Me, because this song screams "grower".

That's exactly the vibe I get from the song as well :mhm:

Just now, LostInAnImage said:

Well, I know the music video means a lot to us as a fan base, but I really don't think it ultimately has much impact in terms of its success with the GP/on the radio (currently, that is; music videos were obviously a huge part of Brit's success back in the TRL days).

But I mean, with the exception of a very few songs (e.g., "Wrecking Ball"), I really can't think of many huge pop hits in recent years that have had their impact resultant of an iconic MV. 

I disagree. Videos have a lot to do with the popularity of the song in my eyes. A great visual to go along with a song makes a huge impact. Sometimes it does without us even realizing. How many times do you think of a song, and the music video comes to mind?

I mean, look at Lady Gag's "Bad Romance" ... that video made a HUGE impact on the success. I feel like the original video could have given the song a lot more exposure, it would have given more people a reason to watch and hear the song.  

7 minutes ago, Your Gravity said:

I disagree. Videos have a lot to do with the popularity of the song in my eyes. A great visual to go along with a song makes a huge impact. Sometimes it does without us even realizing. How many times do you think of a song, and the music video comes to mind?

I mean, look at Lady Gag's "Bad Romance" ... that video made a HUGE impact on the success. I feel like the original video could have given the song a lot more exposure, it would have given more people a reason to watch and hear the song.  

I can definitely see a case for your point as well...regardless, the music videos accompanying the big pop hits of the past year or so have been largely insignificant/completely irrelevant (e.g., everything by Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Rihanna, Justin Bieber, etc.)

But Gaga is a good example of a very visual artist, probably the most significant one in recent pop history secondary to Britney herself. And then of course there's Beyonce's last two records, which arguably only smashed due to the visual component (as I have yet to hear ANY of those singles on the radio). So I can see both sides of the argument. :)

10 minutes ago, Your Gravity said:

Thats a really bad example considering Gaga was still new and exciting and the charts were much simpler back then, its no longer about quick shock factor and buying off of itunes  then job done, has to be worked for now.

8 minutes ago, Your Gravity said:

On the other hand, you've also got people like Drake hitting #1 on Billboard months before the music video even released.

I honestly don't think the GP in general is that excited about every step in the music process like they used to be in 2011, when you could do any little thing and get big publicity. 

I think the video had small impact on the success but the radio is the issue. I agree that Make Me is a grower and maybe they should strategize about radio airplay because the song is a hit. Airplay helps sales and streaming. The song doing this well without any radio backing is great. Visuals are only important if they're excellent. Most of the videos I've seen recently are dull and uninspired but they were still hits. I think Glory will be a lot like Dangerous Woman. It'll take awhile for the first two singles to take off but they'll explode at some point. I say they keep pushing it and we can keep streaming and requesting. 

4 minutes ago, prettylittleliar_2214 said:

I think the video had small impact on the success but the radio is the issue. I agree that Make Me is a grower and maybe they should strategize about radio airplay because the song is a hit. Airplay helps sales and streaming. The song doing this well without any radio backing is great. Visuals are only important if they're excellent. Most of the videos I've seen recently are dull and uninspired but they were still hits. I think Glory will be a lot like Dangerous Woman. It'll take awhile for the first two singles to take off but they'll explode at some point. I say they keep pushing it and we can keep streaming and requesting. 

I totally agree! :BBMAney:

I thought radio didn't want to play it anymore, I seriously don't see how this will rise again :ehno:

I think everything was wrong since the beginning. First of all, they should've released the video along with the song, even if it was that awful version we got at the end. All this promo they're doing, minus the VMAs should've been done a month ago. The VMAs should've had MM and the second single (the second single should've been here by the time the album came out).

It's like, yeah, maybe it's rising on itunes again, but for how long? I just don't see nothing happening, I don't see any kind of impact. My question is, when they finally release the second single, are they going to promote it the same way they're doing with MM? Is she going to perform on tv shows again? Is the record label going to beg the radio stations to play it as well, is she going to do radio interviews? I don't think so, and I think they should be focusing on that already, because if the second single flops, then it's gonna be it for the entire album, and I don't want another BJ kind of situation.

If they released something like DYWCO, I don't see why can't MM and this song be both at the charts at the same time. They're so different, that I don't think it would be a problem, they could still promote MM if they want to, but they should start introducing the second single already. If it's Just Luv Me, then I think they're not compatible because they're on the same style, they should pick only one. Doesn't Rihanna have like a million songs at the same time? I remember in the Rate the music or however it's called, those polls we used to do a few weeks ago, on each one I read at least three Rihanna songs, whether they were collaborations or not, so why can't Britney?

Archived