Article: Britney on sushi and bad dates (Lainey Gossip)

Steel Magnolia

Britney on sushi and bad dates

"Britney Spears covers the new issue if Marie Claire UK as she continues to push the new album, Glory. Glory is expected to come in 3rd in its first week of sales, behind #1 Florida Georgia Line and #2… Barbra Streisand!

This surprised me. Did it surprise you? So far Glory has received decent reviews. And even though Britney, as we saw on Sunday at the VMAs, is not the top entertainer in the world anymore, she still is BRITNEY SPEARS, a mega star. The top three first sales weeks of 2016 so far belong to Drake (Views), Beyoncé (Lemonade), and Frank Ocean (Blonde). Frank sold 276,000 copies in his first week. Britney’s projected to come in at around 100,000. The numbers don’t match the hype. Is it because Make Me, the first single off the album, isn’t exactly lighting anyone on fire? It’s not a bad song. But I’m not sure it’s a song that people are CRAZY about. Britney has, arguably, much more name recognition than Frank Ocean. And Frank’s not exactly getting conventional radio play like Britney is expected to. And yet, he’s almost tripled her first week sales. I, for example, have paid for Frank’s Blonde. But I haven’t bought Britney’s Glory.

Maybe Glory is a late starter. Maybe, once more singles come out, people will get on it. But I wonder what it says about her place in the industry. And I wonder too how that will affect how they manage her career going forward.

As for this Marie Claire interview, everyone’s talking about the story she tells about a bad date she went on recently:

“I had a really bad date. I mean, it was really bad. I’ve been single for ages and had a date with a guy I liked. I was getting anxious, worrying he wouldn’t like me. In the evening I got on the scales and I had lost six pounds. We went to the movies, but I could tell right away it wasn’t working. It was sort of awkward. So after the movie I came home and that was it. It just didn’t work [...] He just wasn’t that into me. I liked him. He knew that. But he definitely didn’t feel the same. It happens to everybody. Being famous doesn’t make you any different.”

This makes me sad. Because as we’ve discussed in the past her love life has been “managed”. Is it that “management” that’s making sh-t awkward when she’s out on dates or is it awkward because she has pushed back on being “managed” when she’s out on dates?

One of the most devastating effects of early fame is that it can stunt you, arrest your development. Imagine experiencing superstardom when you’re still figuring out who you are? How does Britney self-identify? This is, to me, the most insightful answer in the interview. And it’s not about her love life:

“Becoming a mother and being with my boys has made me so much more accepting of myself. I'm their mom, whatever. That has been a really big thing for me over these last few years.”

I mean…I get it. I get that her children have grounded her. I get that they may even have saved her. But also, I’ve heard from other mothers, many of you, and my friends, who stress how important it is for them to be individuals in their own right. But for Britney, being an “individual” in her own right is this beautiful ugly thing, this thing that has made her an icon but which has also tormented and trapped her. How does she find an identity that exists in the space between fame and family?

Click here for more of Britney in Marie Claire. She just started eating sushi! Also I quite like how they’ve styled her here. And I especially like the cover photo. There’s a lot more spontaneity to it than we’ve seen of her in other magazine spreads."

marie-claire-main.jpg

SOURCE: http://www.laineygossip.com/Britney-Spears-covers-Marie-Claire-as-she-continues-to-push-Glory--which-is-expected-to-come-in-3rd-in-first-week-of-sales/44805

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get why people act like Britney should do bigger numbers when her first single hasn't taken off like her others because of the radio. She has not been out in the public eye performing and she confused a lot of casual fans with the BJ fiasco and then Pretty Girls. Name recognition doesn't automatically equal sales especially when most of the talked about people with tons of instagram followers aren't selling a lot. Longevity is more important and I think people nitpick too much when it comes to britney. 

6 minutes ago, prettylittleliar_2214 said:

I don't get why people act like Britney should do bigger numbers when her first single hasn't taken off like her others because of the radio. She has not been out in the public eye performing and she confused a lot of casual fans with the BJ fiasco and then Pretty Girls. Name recognition doesn't automatically equal sales especially when most of the talked about people with tons of instagram followers aren't selling a lot. Longevity is more important and I think people nitpick too much when it comes to britney. 

Yeah, and considering that the media have contributed to destroy her image in front the GP something good about britney not sell but anything negative will flooded social media now is better to see her fails, buy britney is not cool anymore and yes maybe britney and her team have responsibility but the media even more.

17 minutes ago, lirebelde said:

Yeah, and considering that the media have contributed to destroy her image in front the GP something good about britney not sell but anything negative will flooded social media now is better to see her fails, buy britney is not cool anymore and yes maybe britney and her team have responsibility but the media even more.

The media always had some sick obsession with britney. They always acted like they were personally victimized when she made mistakes and they were quick to **** shame her while oversexualizing her. Then they called her an attention ***** while obsessively stalking her. It's all very odd and disturbing. They infantilize her but then they blame her for their actions. Britney isn't the problem. 

1 minute ago, Allmylife said:

This Lainey gossip piece is intellectually lazy and reaching. No matter what Britney says or does or however much progress she makes people will always try to infantilize her and trivialize her and belittle her. It's reading way too much in this interview. 

That's the nicest I've ever seen Lainey write about her, in terms of critiquing her sense of agency.

8 minutes ago, Allmylife said:

This Lainey gossip piece is intellectually lazy and reaching. No matter what Britney says or does or however much progress she makes people will always try to infantilize her and trivialize her and belittle her. It's reading way too much in this interview. 

Yeah they don't know anything. They try to attribute everything to her breakdown to minimize the positive things in her life and overstate their influence on her. They want to have power over her and they can't make her change so it's slowly killing them. 

Archived