Rave Glory review from Vanity Fair

Memo

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"This is not a perfect album, and could probably have done with a bit of trimming in the middle (2007’sBlackout remains her most stellar, lean, consistent piece of work), but it’s an album that will delight Britney Spears fans, and very much please even those who wouldn’t describe themselves as such. Glory is an afternoon at the aquarium with three friends from childhood you haven’t seen in a while."

I am conflicted. Glory is THE perfect album but they are right that Blackout is stellar... But just because an album is stellar doesn't mean Glory isn't, because to me (IMO) Glory is the first Britney album from which I legit LOVE every single song. Glory is simply glorious... It's majestic and heavenly.

With Spears—especially for a certain generational age bracket—it is sometimes hard to separate nostalgia for the height of her reign (the early 2000s, the T.R.L. years) from our feelings about her current musical output. When we hear “Do You Wanna Come Over?,” on Glory, we know we are technically listening to a 2016 Britney Spears song—but we are also, somehow simultaneously, hearing 2001’s “Overprotected” and 2003’s “Showdown” and 2007’s “Toy Soldier.” We’re holding flip phones and recording Friends episodes on VHS tapes and squealing to our friends about Freddie Prinze Jr.; her voice is able to take you to that place almost immediately. When I heard her sing the words “such a damn shame” at the beginning ofGlory’s “Liar” for the first time, I was frankly startled at the sheer Britney-ness, that unmistakable verve and attitude of her delivery (and immediately typed “SUCH A DAMN SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!” into an iPhone note). In the way that a Whopper tastes the same at every Burger King, her voice manages to curl around the ends of a song in the same way every time.

****. this is amazing :gobaby:

That review is so true! Except people need to quit shading ITZ that album will always be special to me.

I read some other reviews last night and it's so apparent those people don't know Britney's music. Instead of referring to her older work, they compare her vocality to Selena Gomez and Katy Perry Yes, she worked with Selena's producers but Britney's singing is all her own style.

Archived