Britney Spears & Beyoncé: Same Era, Different Trajectories - Which One Ruled the 2000's?

I think Britney would've slayed more without the C ship and breaks between her albums, it's been almost 15 years since Britney's had a hit #1 song and #1 album.

Both Bey and Brit respect one another, Bey and Britney debuted around the same era and Beyonce out of most during that time is still SLAYING.

Britney has been using Bey songs on her IG to dance too and both have never dissed one another.

Would Britney have reached Beyonce heights? Bey has been raking in over 500 million in touring sales, tons of hits, all her albums hit #1.

Britney and Bey together would be a great collaboration.

Back when they debuted Britney was the biggest female artist and Bey was the one opening for Britney with Destiny's child and doing these MTV specials talking about Brit.

As Bey's career has skyrocketed and she's left most of her contemporaries in the dust, it was Britney waiting backstage for Bey and Britney having her MTV VMA performance outshined.

• Love 1

The way American society has gone if you’re a 90s/00s Pop star you have to position your to career stand for something or you’ll fade into oblivion. So I’m not sure what Britney would’ve represented. But the successful acts from that era are Beyoncé and Taylor (maybe not Taylor, but she’s been successful for 20 years)

beyonce - brown peoples rights 

taylor - feminism anti patricachy 

Jlo tried a bit to lean into Latino rights but I think Latinos are divided so it doesn’t really work. 

ultimately in todays society people want to support brands, bands and musicians who represent something. 

Britney could’ve been an advocate for mental health and abuse victims. That could have been a way for her remain successful. You see a bit of that with how the new artists are positioning themselves .. Chappell etc 

so no I think Britney would’ve probably retired earlier and been more in the vein of Justin Timberlake .. occasionally doing things but not majorly succesful

Edited by devilsadvocate
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Userxxxxxxxxxyes said:

Britney her talent is actually underrated her image was getting in the way of her as a musican 

beyonce her talent is praised in a realistic way

I agree Britney is more talented than most know, true fans know she had stronger vocals than what was used for her albums.

Reminds me of Jessica Simpson when she recorded "Sweetest Sin" on Newlyweds her record label wanted her to re-record the song to make the vocals easier to sing along too.

Britney on the piano, and her dancing per C Ship was fire.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, devilsadvocate said:

The way American society has gone if you’re a 90s/00s Pop star you have to position your to career stand for something or you’ll fade into oblivion. So I’m not sure what Britney would’ve represented. But the successful acts from that era are Beyoncé and Taylor (maybe not Taylor, but she’s been successful for 20 years)

beyonce - brown peoples rights 

taylor - feminism anti patricachy 

Jlo tried a bit to lean into Latino rights but I think Latinos are divided so it doesn’t really work. 

ultimately in todays society people want to support brands, bands and musicians who represent something. 

Britney could’ve been an advocate for mental health and abuse victims. That could have been a way for her remain successful. You see a bit of that with how the new artists are positioning themselves .. Chappell etc 

so no I think Britney would’ve probably retired earlier and been more in the vein of Justin Timberlake .. occasionally doing things but not majorly succesful

I think that's an option as well, Britney always wanted a family, to be married and somewhere be a mom so even without a c ship she probably would of worked much.

Plus, with the last roll outs of Britney's albums her team was stuck in the early 2000's they didn't know how to market her like Taylor has incredible marketing team. 

Just now, madame__ette said:

I was a girl coming into her teen years when Britney hit the scene. I would say I was the target audience.  From my perspective NO ONE was bigger than Britney, she was in a league of her own. I wasn't even a super fan at the time just captivated like everyone else.

I agree the marketing was amazing the first 4 albums, but as the internet exploded and social media and streaming became the thing Britney's team was still using old school promotion tactics.

• Love 1

Britney was the most know and the best selling. And then Beyonce was so popular but Rihanna and Gaga were more important after, Beyonce has never been number 1 in a decade or year (maybe when Crazy In Love) but of those from the 00's she is the most popular and respected NOW (well, not since the conspiracy theories anymore...).

29 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

I agree Britney is more talented than most know, true fans know she had stronger vocals than what was used for her albums.

Reminds me of Jessica Simpson when she recorded "Sweetest Sin" on Newlyweds her record label wanted her to re-record the song to make the vocals easier to sing along too.

Britney on the piano, and her dancing per C Ship was fire.

She was famous but not seen as talented or as a huge talent her image was really getting in the way of her work and most people who praise her from that she was talented at that time are the ones who were kids when she was famous, because her audience was a lot of kids and she was seen as more talented by kids than adults, i think people think that britney is overrated because she was always singing, performing, and dancing in a different way she sounded, danced, and performed always in a different way some of they you can consider good some of them maybe less good but beyonce always kinda performed and was singing in the same way so it was easier to say that she was talented britney her talent cant really be judged on only one thing that you watch everything she did had something unique to like michael jackson his dancing is easier to praise because he did every dance move he could in smooth criminal, britney always had different kind of choreographys she never actually had a choreography where you can see all of her dance moves

Britney was the bigger superstar in her prime without having to resort to marrying into the Roc Nation Mafia for power or having people fearing her & kissing her *** to fit in. These days everyone is scared to get out of line and say just how overrated Beyonce has gotten.

Beyonce is a talented popstar, but people treat her like she’s god or something. When other artists are winning Grammys and saying Beyonce should be winning instead during their speech, that’s when I knew it’s gone too far.

Edited by monalisaney81
  • Love 1
  • Like 5
10 minutes ago, monalisaney81 said:

Britney was the bigger superstar in her prime without having to resort to marrying into the Roc Nation Mafia for power or having people fearing her & kissing her *** to fit in. These days everyone is scared to get out of line and say just how overrated Beyonce has gotten.

Beyonce is a talented popstar, but people treat her like she’s god or something. When other artists are winning Grammys and saying Beyonce should be winning instead during their speech, that’s when I knew it’s gone too far.

Bey was already in Destiny's child having success before Jay, she carried the group to being one of the best selling female groups of all time.

Then went solo and eventually surpassed Britney.

1 minute ago, DiamondCircus said:

Bey was already in Destiny's child having success before Jay, she carried the group to being one of the best selling female groups of all time.

Then went solo and eventually surpassed Britney.

I never said that she wasn’t successful with DC, but marrying Jay Z was definitely a power move for her that took her to a different height and it’s obviously paid off in the end. 

Edited by monalisaney81
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, descg said:

Britney was the most know and the best selling. And then Beyonce was so popular but Rihanna and Gaga were more important after, Beyonce has never been number 1 in a decade or year (maybe when Crazy In Love) but of those from the 00's she is the most popular and respected NOW (well, not since the conspiracy theories anymore...).

Beyonce was #1 of the 2000's babe.

Irreplaceable was the top song in 2007 and every one of Beyonce's albums have hit #1.

Bey has also had more #1 albums than Britney and more #1 singles as well as more platinum and certified singles. 

Just now, monalisaney81 said:

I never said that she wasn’t successful with DC, but marrying Jay Z was definitely a power move for her that took her to a different height and it’s obviously paid off in the end. 

I don't credit Jay for Bey's success he's not her manager and it's Beyonce's work ethic and her talent with or without Jay, Bey would be slaying.

The music industry has changed so much, so it's incredible that Bey is still having #1 songs, and albums and brining in a half a billion on tour.

I don't think it's fair to compare Britney to other pop stars..

For example Beyonce, you can see she really loves what she does, she worked very hard to get where she is today.. Passion for what you do is important..

Britney, on the other hand, experienced terrible abuse from day one… even before the con.. what the paparazzi and the industry did to her is not worth it.. 

I can understand why she lost interest in her career… especially since she couldn't make decisions during the con.

So imo, comparing a singer who wants to be successful to a singer who has lost her passion for her career is an unfair comparison..

Edited by OneLife
  • Love 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

Beyonce was #1 of the 2000's babe.

Irreplaceable was the top song in 2007 and every one of Beyonce's albums have hit #1.

Bey has also had more #1 albums than Britney and more #1 singles as well as more platinum and certified singles. 

You are literally answering your own question. If you feel so strongly that Beyonce was #1 in the 2000’s then why are you coming onto a Britney forum to ask BRITNEY fans their opinion…they will obviously say Britney was the top. Go live your Beyonce fantasy baby. :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

Edited by monalisaney81
  • Like 1
Just now, monalisaney81 said:

You are literally answering your own question. If you feel so strongly that Beyonce was #1 in the 2000’s then why are you coming onto a Britney forum to ask BRITNEY fans their opinion…they will obviously say Britney was the top. Go live your Beyonce fantasy baby. :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

Who said Britney was the top? She ruled 2004-2005 then K Fed entered the picture, ever since Bey has been carrying the flag. People ask about Lesa, Tate, Sabrina and all the others no reason we can't talk about Britney and Bey they've actually met, worked together too. 

Beyonce Knowles Makeup GIF

3 minutes ago, DiamondCircus said:

I don't credit Jay for Bey's success he's not her manager and it's Beyonce's work ethic and her talent with or without Jay, Bey would be slaying.

The music industry has changed so much, so it's incredible that Bey is still having #1 songs, and albums and brining in a half a billion on tour.

I think Jay Z’s power and influence are partially the reason Beyonce has blown up to the level she has. Aside from her obvious work ethic, her power move in her “Queen Bee” rebranding right before the Superbowl made all the difference bc her album 3 and the singles were not doing as great as the previous album.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.