The Independent names Blackout as the third most underrated album in history.

WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Vast swathes of our favourite records have somehow been passed over, unfairly dismissed or left to languish unjustly in the critical...

“It’s Britney, *****.” Few music moments are as thrilling as Spears’s opening salvo on her defiant 2007 album, Blackout, which turned a series of personal (and highly publicised) issues into one of her greatest works.

The beats are dark and edgy, speaking to the muddied, hedonistic and gossip-ridden times. Spears herself often sounds bored, or mocking, as she rolls her eyes at her detractors.

“I’m Mrs Lifestyles of the rich and famous,” she sings on “Piece of Me”... “I’m Mrs ‘oh my God that Britney’s shameless’/ I’m Mrs Extra! Extra! This just in/ I’m Mrs she’s too big now she’s too thin.”

Those icy beats and glitchy synths would inspire generations of future-leaning pop stars in the decades to come. Bravo.

Edited by PerfectLover.
  • Love 7

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.