Do You Think Fame Is Toxic?

Over the years as we’ve watch more and more superstars and celebrities go off the deep end, I’ve wondered what it is about that spotlight that sets these individuals on a path of destruction. Do you think fame is toxic?

Edited by BBBBBB
  • Like 1

I read something about this years ago, human evolution hasn’t or will ever compensate for fame, it’s not a natural thing for a creature to experience. I think everyone who reaches the peak of superstardom will inevitably struggle because mammals aren’t meant to be known so well. It’s like that singular lion or tiger being followed around by the whole animal kingdom - It’s Not natural. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, femmef4toole said:

I read something about this years ago, human evolution hasn’t or will ever compensate for fame, it’s not a natural thing for a creature to experience. I think everyone who reaches the peak of superstardom will inevitably struggle because mammals aren’t meant to be known so well. It’s like that singular lion or tiger being followed around by the whole animal kingdom - It’s Not natural. 

100% well said

• Love 1

I feel most seem to handle it well. If you really think about it yearly, or even every decade maybe one- three celebs seem to endure a public breakdown.

I think the issue with a lot of those that breakdown under the pressures of fame don’t seem to have a strong foundation and community (family and close friends). I can definitely see how one can succumb to all the pitfalls of fame- I know I would hate it. I used to think it would be so fun and glamorous. Especially in the early 2000’s because of tabloid culture- like it seemed so amazing to be paparazzi’d. I would be so over it after one day. 

So ultimately I think fame CAN be toxic but if you have strong sense of self, have people that ground you and a good trustworthy entertainment team that can help you navigate the fame game, I think one could come out relatively normal. 

• Like 2

Yeah, because it doesn't offer much in terms of longevity or sustenance in the long run. So when you've devoted your whole life to entertaining others, you don't manage to have time to build something substantial and those staples in your life. That void can be depressing for some. Don't get me wrong, its gratifying to inspire others but it doesn't offer much value in your life when its fleeting. It only seems to work for narcissists since they don't care about building meaningful relationships with others. It’s just surface for them.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.