Is Katy Perry's "Witness" better than "143"?

As Katy has been saying, her new album comes from a place full of love and celebration. But on the other hand it feels like it doesn't have so many dimensions (or slowish songs) or the same depth we are used to hear from her. If her 2017 album "Witness" is considered a commercial failure, at least we have to admit Katy was experimenting with it. It feels like in "143" Katy just went ahead with the formulas and stuff that would work in clubs (which we love, btw). But I just listened to the newest album and right away I listened to "Witness" and this one sounded (almost... if not totally) like a masterpiece compared to some songs of "143" (Hello, Gimme Gimme?). Especially comparing to some great songs like "Power", "Into Me You See" and "Witness". 

What do you think?

7 minutes ago, nwonder said:

I know this is controversial, but her Witness singles are the only songs I actually liked from her… ever. I loved CTR (and its message) tbh and Bon Apetit was a bop.

I like 'Channed to the rhythm' too. She was so bold with it and its message. And the video too.

• Love 1

How can we even compare an album that was released hours ago like it's been out for 6 months ?  One of the reasons her album will flop. It's going to flop anyway for other reasons but you can't say how it's better or worse than an album that people have had 4 years to listen to 

57 minutes ago, nwonder said:

I know this is controversial, but her Witness singles are the only songs I actually liked from her… ever. I loved CTR (and its message) tbh and Bon Apetit was a bop.

Ugh, “Bon Appétit” was so good, & her other song, “365.”

Idk if it’s better or not, I think both are good for different reasons. I think one of the reasons Witness didn’t do good was because of the single choices. She hyped up that Witness was going to be purposeful pop which there are some songs on there that fit that theme, but others like Bon Appetit did not fit that image.

Like if she would’ve released Hey Hey Hey after Chained To The Rhythm instead of Bon Appetit and Witness instead of Swish Swish (as much as I like that song), and then Power, I think the era probably would’ve done better imo.

I think Witness needed more purposeful pop songs on it also, like songs with a deeper meaning, songs that questioning social norms or challenging the status quo. If she had done that, then Witness probably would’ve had a shot. It would’ve been an evolution for Katy to be more mature with more grown up themes. Idk that’s just my two cents on the whole Witness era

I have to add, I went and rewatched a couple of performances of Chained To The Rhythm, and if she would’ve kept on the trajectory that CTTR had set up, she probably would’ve been more successful with Witness.

CTTR is just so Anti-Katy Perry that it’s surprising and image changing for Katy to have been the one singing it. Katy had been known for these party hits throughout the 2010’s and when she released CTTR that talked about just that turning up that kind of music and putting your rose colored glasses on and just partying on like nothing is happening is contributing to the problems of the world today just hits different coming from her.

If she would’ve just took CTTR’s theme and pushed it more into the album, I know the album would’ve done better, but she didn’t and that’s one of the reasons why it flopped because CTTR was a big hit, debuting at #4 on the BB Hot 100 and that song being her last big hit. She really should’ve read the room that that’s what people wanted from her was music like that, but oh well, the past is in the past.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.