This Day In Pop: Britney Spears' Iconic 2001 VMA Performance!

A few days ago I made a thread about the music video's birthday. Now it's for the performance :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

Britney Spears first performed "I'm a Slave 4 U" at the 2001 MTV VMAs at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York City on September 6, 2001 four days after filming the music video. The performance included live animals, such as the ICONIC Albino Burmese python - it was so iconic even the snakes love it - and a white tiger, which got the performance negative reviews from PETA. 

And of course she wore a hat for the rehearsal :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: and the choreo in this OMG

Some stills:
GettyImages-76095012-1.jpg?w=1024&h=768&

britney-spears-b-5f7a38cd19fa4460bf70e98

EW.COM

Britney Spears posts throwback to 2001 VMAs and her iconic snake performance of 'I'm a Slave 4 U.'
PEOPLE.COM

In an exclusive excerpt from her upcoming memoir 'The Woman in Me,' pop icon Britney Spears writes about how her legendary MTV performance was "even more terrifying than it appeared"

and then... :jlostare_jennifer_lopez_staring_blink:

MONEY.YAHOO.COM

Britney Spears famously performed "I'm a Slave 4 U" with a python around her neck during the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards

:boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair:

• Love 6

She said it was a silly thing (using the snake) back then I remember lol 

I enjoy watching the rehearsal. The dance steps with the feet are craazy. I wish I knew how to do the whole choreography.

But I don't like that animation. It could be better, not so robotized.

Edited by Fita
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, PolySpears said:

I still wonder when the snake was hissing at her face... :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

towards the end,

when the she was about to handle the snake to the dance

you can see the snake going to her face and the snake tongue

2:22 in the video above but wtf that part is cut

Edited by Jup1ter
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.