Does an album need to be cohesive in order to be good?

Does an album have to be cohesive to be good?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not necessarily. If the songs are good, I’m cool with it. For critics, though, this is very important.

Many albums by Shakira are not cohesive and they’re good. ‘In The Zone’ is not cohesive, and it’s just the sonic variety what makes it a masterpiece. 

Creating a cohesive album is a double-edge sword, it can be awesome like the way Taylor, The Weeknd, many rock bands, etc. craft their albums. ‘Blackout’ is a perfect instance. On the other hand, it can become a tiring experience… (Adele’s 30):cheese_Britney_awkward_cringe_eek:

• Love 1

You know what, people say the album is 'cohesive' as a compliment, but the more i think about it, i dont think its necessarily a good thing. for example, Glory is a cohesive album because its all midtempo. as much as i like Glory and think it was a good album, it has aged like milk because there's no light and shade and songs pretty much sound silimiar. Taylor Swift's new album is 'cohesive' because every song sounds the same, by the end of listening to it i was bored. even the bonus tracks sound the same. i like 3 songs out of what 18? songs. and i love TS but i felt like i was listening to the same song the whole time, whereas her last album Lover i loved because it had upbeat songs like ME!, London Boy, ballads like Soon You'll Get Better, Death By  A Thousand Cuts etc. so tbh i dont think an album being 'cohesive' is a good thing

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.