The two things that Glory is missing

jamesedward94

Okay, I'll start by saying as a whole, Glory is one of Britney's best. I will always love Britney's early albums with her undeniable star power and effortless pop sensibility, and the irreverence of Blackout with all the crazy production, but this album is amazing. 

There are just two things that, for me, Glory is missing that would really take it over the top and make it a smash.

One is an undeniable, huge hit. With Femme Fatale, after Hold It Against Me we all knew the next single should be Till the World Ends. With Oops!, Lucky and Stronger were obvious singles. And with In the Zone there was Toxic. However, this time around they chose a different type of first single with Make Me which is much more laid back and "chill" compared to her other first singles. The alarming this is, there isn't an instant follow up this time around that everyone can point to in agreement and say SMASH. That's a problem. The songs on Glory are great, and Britney sounds the best she has in years, but without that one definitive hit, I'm not sure how well Glory can do in the long run.

Second, Glory needed a sincere, honest, and personal vocal from Britney that showed her true, mature voice. For example, in Hands, we got a glimpse of that and she sounds so inspiring. For pretty much the entire album, even on songs where she sounds great, her voice is still auto tuned too much. Her true voice is much deeper and more mature than this album shows. With songs like Everytime or My Baby there are moments where she just sounds completely genuine and you really feel her and it gives you chills. There is not one moment on Glory where everything is just stripped back and her natural voice gets the chance to shine. and that's very upsetting because there is no reason for it. Producers continue to cover up what could be her secret weapon: her natural tone! 

Glory is still a phenomenal record and hopefully this turns out to be one of her best eras because Britney truly deserves all the success in the world. Here's to hoping we get an iconic music video and possibly a tour! 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want a ballad only because I know she will never sing it live. It's taking up space in my book.

I agree with the huge hit thing. I think there are some that could be huge but it's hard to tell.

Its better than BJ literally not having A single choice. Glory has most of the album to pick for singles but it's hard to tell if they will slay.

nothing will slay by itself...it will need help from many different things. 

14 minutes ago, econg said:

Better, Liar and Just Luv Me sound like hits in my opinion

Just Luv Me will be a single even though it sounds like she's trying too hard to be like everyone else today (which might be smart and would maybe give her a radio hit) although her voice sounds the best on it. Better could actually be a potential single, but it just feels slightly fillerish. And not sure they'd release Liar bc it sounds a lot different than the rest of the album and it's a bonus track so it's just highly unlikely, even tho it's my favorite.

I disagree. I like that theres no typical top 40 max martin produced song. She set out to make a quality album and she did that. She already said she was going experimental so you know she was not aiming to have hits. Its great because now everyone is actually paying attention to her and are beginning to think she is cool again just like she did with blackout. 

2 minutes ago, puppylo16 said:

I disagree. I like that theres no typical top 40 max martin produced song. She set out to make a quality album and she did that. She already said she was going experimental so you know she was not aiming to have hits. Its great because now everyone is actually paying attention to her and are beginning to think she is cool again just like she did with blackout. 

For me though, it's almost not experimental enough. I mean, she has a song in French and there's some Spanish, but a lot of the songs are just kind of like everything else out today, and those are only bonus tracks. I didn't want typical Max Martin songs, but she could've had more standout smashes in the style they chose for Glory. 

The 2 things Glory is missing? Promo and Mood Ring, tbh :NYsassy:

Y'all saying there's no "huge" hits on the record? There's nothin' BUT huge hits on this record, people :beynah:

Just Luv Me, DYWCO, Slayber Party, Love Me Down, Better, and Liar are all MASSIVE tracks. You guys need to open your ears :lessons:

The vocals are some of the best we had since her prime times, the thing i think you're trying to say is the fact we don't have a ballad, we got a lot of slow songs, but midtempos, no ballads at all, as for the smash, she has catchy songs, it will depend how she will promote them and use at the end, LMD could really make some magic if she makes the right moves

Archived