What is Your Definition of "Good Music"?

EsterThePassenger

Well, in the middle of reviews and critics about Glory i just want to know about what's your definition of good music? and please give one example of good music from Britney's discography!

I know this is obviously subjective (that's why I asked YOUR definition) and very difficult to answer, but I am trying to get a variety of answers to understand if there is any specific trait that music needs to have for one to consider it to be good,

I am looking for some sort of definition, even if basic.

Is it the difficulty? Is it the complexity? It is because it is (or not) catchy? Is it because it makes you feel good, and if so does that mean it is good music? Is there really no good or bad music?

Good music, to me, means something that makes feel you what you couldn't before. Pleasure and joy comes in many different forms, but there is a secret corner only music can touch. That is what I mean.

I think the epitome of good music is Toxic. :riri:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Good music" for me includes the following:

• Great lyrics - even though let's say you're talking about something as random as a carrot, but you're able to come up with insane lyrics for it, i'm here for that
  • Great beats - doesn't necessarily need to be dance-able, but something that has a great hook
  • Very relative, but it should be something I haven't heard before. Or let's have I've heard that same song or tune before, if an artist is able to come up with an improved or envelope-pushing treatment that can reconvert or reimagine the song, that works well for me too.

That's the thing about music critics - I think they listen to an album or song just once and then come up with a review, without taking a second listen, which is necessary to come up with a decent critique or a more thorough review. 

If this is in the context of Britney, here are some songs that I think qualify as good music from her catalogue:

• Baby One More Time - Baby One More Time + (You Drive Me) Crazy defined her first three eras for me, and I think these songs defined teen pop in the last decade. Justin Bieber has a more R&B-ish approach while other female artists transitioning out of Disney opted for different ways to define themselves. 
  • Oops I Did It Again - I can't think of anything specific, because I think they focused more on her vocals for this album, after criticisms of BOMT emerged in 1999.
  • Britney - I'm A Slave 4 U, That's Where You Take Me (I think TWYTM could have been an alternative direction for her next era, but she opted to pursue a more urban, R&B direction so that's fine.)
  • In The Zone - Toxic (even now, it's still current - no one can top this - musically, I also think this defines her career aside from BOMT)
  • Blackout - Gimme More (even now, listening to the instrumental version of Gimme More is still haunting), Freakshow (a lot of people are saying dubstep, etc. but Freakshow had a lot more to offer), Toy Soldier, and of course, Heaven On Earth.
  • Circus - Circus, Unusual You and Amnesia are pop perfection. 
  • Femme Fatale - The HIAM - TTWE - IWG trio can rival the Blackout medley but in a different direction. I see these three songs as more of light/darkness with the Femme Fatale Trio being the light while the Blackout trio being the dark.
  • Britney Jean - Work ***** is a good song, although it's very aggressive. Alien would have been a brilliant song too, if only they took the time to pay more attention to the detail

Anyway I'm not ready to call "Glory" good music for now. I am still waiting for things to settle down.

Good music is sth that Make You Move :) i mean, the emotions that they bring to you when listening to it. For example, Emotions from MC can bring your feeling go up and down following her vocal and lyric. 

In this context, most pf Brit's songs I define as good music because I feel connected to her through her songs. When i wanna feel good, i m listening to FF. When I wanna be badass, i m listening to BO. 

I can list several songs besides the common ones you guys usually pick up:

Heart

One kiss from you

I run away

Everytime/Toxic (in this era, these are the best)

Inside Out/ He about to Lose Me

BMS, Perfume 

If the melody of the song is good, you start to like the song, but if the lyrics are relatable the song stays in your life forever.

I like real instruments in music but sometimes (I Wanna Go) an edm type song can slay me. Britney has many genres so: I Will Be There, Lonely, And Then We Kiss, Breathe On Me etc..

I don't like or respect repetitiveness like (you will hate me for this) la la la la la, la la la la la, la la la la la love me down. I feel that song has perfect verse and amazing bridge but falls flat on the chorus.

Besides Glory only "Wrong Crowd" by Tom Odell slayed my life this year.

Archived