How does the Make Me video controversy influence your opinion on the iconic Gimme More Funeral Version?

Seductive

I became a fan right around the time that Piece of Me leaked, but it wasn't until later that I learned about the legendary gimme more video. It was as treasured as Rebellion. However, there were also rumors it didn't exist etc. Now, with this Make Me drama, I feel like one experiencing what happened in 2007, but this time with a lot more information and leakage. To me, it kinda demystifies the mystery of gimme more and it makes me realize that it getting re-edited was mostly just behind the scenes crap more than anything. Maybe the gimme more funeral version is bad. Who knows. Thoughts? :cigney:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Seductive said:

I became a fan right around the time that Piece of Me leaked, but it wasn't until later that I learned about the legendary gimme more video. It was as treasured as Rebellion. However, there were also tumors it didn't exist etc. Now, with this Make Me drama, I feel like one experiencing what happened in 2007, but this time with a lot more information and leakage. To me, it kinda demystifies the mystery of gimme more and it makes me realize that it getting re-edited was mostly just behind the scenes crap more than anything. Maybe the gimme more funeral version is bad. Who knows. Thoughts? :cigney:

Let me preface this by saying I've been stanning Britney since BOMT was first dropped and I heard it on the radio and thought her voice was so weird I became obsessed with it

WELL I have always been fascinated with the concept of mysterious stuff and especially what has gone on with these videos because I think the story behind it provides a lot of insight as to not only what's really going on in Britney's head, but what's really going on with her team. What's the deal? What about the Original Doll controversy? I sent my BF down that rabbit-hole earlier this year. )

I think the darker themes of her scrapped videos and Original Doll show a little more of her personal and artistic struggle with identity, control, and closure. As she becomes more and more intertwined with her team and more of a product-placement driven commerial act, it begs the question...how does Britney feel, and more importantly, how does her art feel? 

She looks great, she sounds good...but is she there? And if she is, does she want to be? Not even from a personal standpoint, but from an artistic standpoint - I want to see her grow and express and emote...and unfortunately, a lot of controversy surrounding scrapped material from a GREAT artists comes up only posthumously. It's interesting to see it happening in real time, and somewhat concerning when you acknowledge her personal struggles along the way. 

I think the Gimme More controversy came at a pivotal time in Britney's life both personally as well as professionally. blackout is my FAVORITE BRITNEY ALBUM to date, and Gimme More is my favorite lead single (by song, anyway,) and I know I'm not alone. In that headspace, what kind of video might've come about?

i'm dying to see every scrapped piece she's ever done...i just hope somebody doesn't have to literally die before I do.

I think the footage just wasn't good, not because of her, but because of the newbie director. A lot of it leaked (walking on the street, sitting on a bed with a cat) a couple years ago, and it wasn't good. She wasn't with Larry Rudolf for the Blackout era, so that's why the videos were and promo kinda iffy (excepting the brilliant Piece of Me video).

I think they should've done with Gimme More what they did now with Make Me...: scrap the whole thing and re-shoot something later when she was in a proper condition to shoot a videoclip :brityeah:

The whole Blackout era should've been put on stand by til 2008, but then Circus would've not happened, so everything happens for a reason (GM and POM videos should've not happened at all though)

If the "genius plan" of releasing the original Make Me after the VMA's is true, I'm not so sure how smart is that. By then we're gonna have Clumsy, and a whole album full of potential hits, ain't nobody got time for the first single by then, we're gonna be dying for a second single already.

Archived