Don't feel that bad for David LaChappelle

Dinirocal

While some express feeling bad for the poor guy LaChapelle, he may not be a saint in this story.

Apparently David LaChappelle is a pain in the *** to work with and has a terrible aggressive and dificult and irrational reputation. Turns out this is not the first time many of his projects get scrapped, fall apart or artists have had to quit to work with him, several of his projects haven't seen the light and other artists have cancelled contracts with him for this reason.

One of the most notable cases was with Madonna in 2005. David LaChappelle was initially chosen and hired to direct Madonna's "Hung up" music video. You would think that anyone would be honored to direct for the Queen of pop, they met several times but the process was so difficult that Madonna and her team actually had to fire him as the guy was refusing to listen and execute any of Madonna's ideas, it was literally impossible to get into any rational agreement with him causing the project to fall apart. Madonna later hired Johan Renck to direct "Hung up" who happilly did his job and once the filming ended Madonna was with him in the editing room indicating to him which scenes she liked and which scenes she wanted to be removed, something that he did without any problem as thats the job to do for a normal director that is getting hired.

LaChappelle also had an incident with the Kardashian Family while shooting for a Christmas card.  The shoot of a simple photo was so complicated that Koutney Kardashian nearly refused to appear in the photo as he was refusing to shoot with her kids (the reason? He hated kids) he became all rude and bitchy and was about to quit the project for such trivial reason. At the end the picture was done but it was a pain in the *** for everyone involved.

So judging by his past and reputation, the "Make me" project likely fell apart because of his extreme irrational being and issues to listen  and reach a consesus. Britney must have had a terrible time shooting with him. The rumored scene that may have caused the problem was the ********* TV scene, Britney and her team probably wanted the scene out which lead David into a bitchy problematic diva, he probably even refused to send Britney's team the footage of the music video.

A music artist has the normal right to decide which scenes fit and which doesn't. The music video director is an employee hired by the artist who gets a salary paid to execute a music video that pleases the artist's taste and vision and not otherwise. 

So don't feel that bad for David. He clearly has issues.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BoyToySoldier said:

So what's the excuse for Jospeh Kahn and Perfume? :drinky:

none, I disagree with the OP.

Plus DL is a ******* artist, he is going to have bizzare behaviours so why approach him if they want to avoid that?

Britney's Team wants to make war with every good producer out there I see, one by one, every era. 

2 minutes ago, Mani911 said:

none, I disagree with the OP.

Plus DL is a ******* artist, he is going to have bizzare behaviours so why approach him if they want to avoid that?

Britney's Team wants to make war with every good producer out there I see, one by one, every era. 

But Britney can't? I can't with you stanning for this guy :moorangu: We should open a forum for him :moorangu:

1 minute ago, BoyToySoldier said:

I'm sorry but his original idea for Perfume was so stupid and did not fit the song at all!

Yeah I've heard before that David is super arrogant, I mean the way he blasted Rihanna for S&M because he felt it was too similar to something he would do was a good example along with the op.

It's starting to become clear to me that Britney obviously had an issue with a scene or 2 and he didn't want to take them out or reshoot them 

1 minute ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I'm sorry but his original idea for Perfume was so stupid and did not fit the song at all!

Yeah I've heard before that David is super arrogant, I mean the way he blasted Rihanna for S&M because he felt it was too similar to something he would do was a good example along with the op.

It's starting to become clear to me that Britney obviously had an issue with a scene or 2 and he didn't want to take them out or reshoot them 

That's becuase Melina Matsoukas blatantly ripped off his photoshoots for that S&M video. There was a rightfull infringement to that lawsuit.

And LOL a video doesn't have to match a song word for word. A lot of Britney's videos don't do that.

It's called ARTISTIC CREATIVITY.

yeah I believe that can be true. And I also didnt like the tv scene and most of scenes. I would stay only with the dance scene with the guys and maybe the cage. But david sucking doesnt justify they replacing his video for a shittier one. They had chance to do better. Even britney dancing whole video with the dancers male and females and make it **** fitting the song would be better than pretty girls 0.2

3 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

That's becuase Melina Matsoukas blatantly ripped off his photoshoots for that S&M video. There was a rightfull infringement to that lawsuit.

And LOL a video doesn't have to match a song word for word. A lot of Britney's videos don't do that.

It's called ARTISTIC CREATIVITY.

I still think it was a stupid idea for a ballad about getting cheated on! I think Joe is past his prime tbh......I mean when you start calling Taylor Swift a genius you know somethings not right upstairs anymore and the Bad Blood video is like Toxic 3.0 I mean clearly he's run out of ideas! 

i totally agree with the OP

How does:

(a) A random leopard in the middle of men gyrating on poles

(b) A TV being thrown out the window killing a guy in the pool

(c) She being naked in the cage with glitter body paint dancing next to the pool where a corpse is lying

(d) A scene is shown where a sony TV is showing her dancing while a dead body floats above

(e) A G-Eazy scene that screams ****** aggression

fit in with the lines 

"Baby cause you're the spark that wont go out, my heart's on fire when youre around"???

The Official video should have only kept the dancing scenes of the original one.

10 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

There wasn't any excuse. Joseph Kahn as a professional who was getting paid did everything Britney and her team asked and edited the scenes they demanded. That was why he was hired for, to please Britney's team even if he didn't like it. David LaChappelle on the other hand refuses to listen to anyone.

1 minute ago, Dinirocal said:

There wasn't any excuse. Joseph Kahn as a professional who was getting paid did everything Britney and her team asked and edited the scenes they demanded. That was why he was hired for, to please Britney's team even if he didn't like it. David LaChappelle on the other hand refuses to listen to anyone.

He's an artist who has the right to put his foot down when a concept is changed.

If RCA wanted to scrap Glory tomorrow, would Britney be in the wrong to put her foot down?

6 minutes ago, PRIVATE.SHOW. said:

First of all, it's no secret that Madonna is terrible to work with and it's all about her. She was not innocent in that game and if you try to interfere too much, why not just direct the video yourself? What is the director's job if you're the one calling all the shots? You hired him for his vision so let him do it. If not, then direct it how you want it. Simple.

About the Kardashians. Who the hell hires David LaChapelle and expects a simple photo shoot? His projects are very detailed and styled, it's what he's known for. I've never seen any David LaChapelle photo that looks simple or classic. That isn't who he is and if you're hiring him for that, then you are just not familiar with his work. 

this

5 minutes ago, neel21 said:

i totally agree with the OP

How does:

(a) A random leopard in the middle of men gyrating on poles

(b) A TV being thrown out the window killing a guy in the pool

(c) She being naked in the cage with glitter body paint dancing next to the pool where a corpse is lying

(d) A scene is shown where a sony TV is showing her dancing while a dead body floats above

(e) A G-Eazy scene that screams ****** aggression

fit in with the lines 

"Baby cause you're the spark that wont go out, my heart's on fire when youre around"???

The Official video should have only kept the dancing scenes of the original one.

Is this comment serious? :Jfallonlol:

Most Brit videos or ANYONE in the industry don't go along with the song, as Boytoysoldier said it's called ARTISTIC CREATIVITY.

6 minutes ago, Dinirocal said:

Exactly Britney is the one who hired them for jobs! They listen to their client :truthtea:

2 minutes ago, BoyToySoldier said:

He's an artist who has the right to put his foot down when a concept is changed.

If RCA wanted to scrap Glory tomorrow, would Britney be in the wrong to put her foot down?

He's an artist that is working for Britney and her team. He doesn't get freedom when Britney's brand is at stake. It's a simple concept. If I hired a graphic artist to make a logo for my company, they would have to adhere to my demands. If I go get a tattoo, they don't get to put anything they want on my body.

Archived